A Possible Media Player Option

It really depends on battery life. I want the ~100 hours of MP3 life that was offered to me :p

Well I am a foobar2000 user and your current list of features with background operation, gapless, playlist oriented, that's perfect and correspond to my way of using foobar, so I too would be happy to try your player on the P :)

Personally, I'll use whatever nets me the best battery-life to feature ratio. But if ommpc has a decent one (excluding the 100h estimate, which requires very specific bits of hardware to be active, and the others to be turned off, iirc), then that feature list looks very good indeed.

Especially since we already know it won't come with a media player in order to make sure they can't be sued for not licensing the respective codecs. Unless that's changed recently without my hearing about it...

djmaddis said:
would you consider network streaming ie internet radio? This would be like the all in one ultimate music player.
Oh yeah, it also plays shoutcast streams... Well kind of. <_<

You can paste the contents of a .pls playlist into a .m3u playlist and open that playlist in ommpc and mpd will play the stream. As the gp2x never had network connectivity to speak of, I never fleshed that out. Definitely something to look at as the basic playback mechanism is there...

Last edited by a moderator:
hope you dont mind me suggesting that a visualizer would be sexy as hell. Milk drop anyone? How sweet would it be to be able to connect the pandora to a 40 inch lcd!

I am a big fan of the avs presets in winamp and use them as part of my vj sets. The only problem is that a wrapper is needed to run external to winamp. I have searched long and hard for a standalone avs player but to on avail

Edit: i would be happy to contribute financially if you could get this implemented

djmaddis said:
hope you dont mind me suggesting that a visualizer would be sexy as hell. Milk drop anyone? How sweet would it be to be able to connect the pandora to a 40 inch lcd!

I am a big fan of the avs presets in winamp and use them as part of my vj sets. The only problem is that a wrapper is needed. I have searched long and hard for a standalone avs player but to on avail

Edit: i would be happy to contribute financially if you could get this implemented

i actualy concure whil there are some stand alone vis apps out there winamps got the best viz hands down atm and milkdrop 2 just rocks i wrote a custom wrapper to use it in my cab/jukebox threw a linein system.. works like a charm but alass MD is winblows only i think. and ide personaly have absolutely no clue how to code a visualization app for media thats way outa my skill range.

Coder_TimT said:

You can paste the contents of a .pls playlist into a .m3u playlist and open that playlist in ommpc and mpd will play the stream. As the gp2x never had network connectivity to speak of, I never fleshed that out. Definitely something to look at as the basic playback mechanism is there...
How about Icecast streams?

I am a big fan of the avs presets in winamp and use them as part of my vj sets. The only problem is that a wrapper is needed. I have searched long and hard for a standalone avs player but to on avail

djmaddis said:

No problem...suggest away. :D

I've always dismissed visualizers on a portable device simply because of cpu utilization/battery life. I could see them being used in some sort of "plugged-in" environment but not in a more normal usage scenario. Thus I never moved beyond a simple google search when it came to looking into it.

That being said, I believe our starting point would probably be projectM. It would need to be ported to OpenGL ES(or it might already support ES...) and then either implemented as a plugin or it could just be used standalone if PulseAudio is available...

So the PulseAudio/standalone app might just work...for any audio app...

TJSomething said:
Coder_TimT said:

How about Icecast streams?

I think I'm correct in saying as far as the client software knows, Icecast == Shoutcast. As mentioned, I haven't done much experimenting, so I'm not sure about streaming ogg versus mp3 or the like, but I would say yes....

mmalficia said:
djmaddis said:

i actualy concure whil there are some stand alone vis apps out there winamps got the best viz hands down atm and milkdrop 2 just rocks i wrote a custom wrapper to use it in my cab/jukebox threw a linein system.. works like a charm but alass MD is winblows only i think. and ide personaly have absolutely no clue how to code a visualization app for media thats way outa my skill range.

I'm actually quite partial to ProjectM myself. It's a re-implementation of Milkdrop under OpenGL so it might need some porting to ES before it will work on the Pandora. Works a treat on XBMC through Ubuntu though :)

EDIT: Sorry Coder_TimT, didn't notice that you had already mentioned it lol

Vorporeal said:
I'm pretty sure that Rockbox is only an entire firmware for PMPs. I've never heard of it being used as a standalone application.
Google 'rockbox simulator', as I'm not allowed to add links (not enough posts). It runs rockbox in a little window, simulating a player of your choice.
There was also a google summer of code project to get rockbox as an app without using the simulator.
And I believe someone on the rockbox forums got it running on their linux-based cell phone.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
mmalficia said:
djmaddis said:

I'm actually quite partial to ProjectM myself. It's a re-implementation of Milkdrop under OpenGL so it might need some porting to ES before it will work on the Pandora. Works a treat on XBMC through Ubuntu though :)

EDIT: Sorry Coder_TimT, didn't notice that you had already mentioned it lol

projectM looks amazing. Thanks for the link :) lets hope a port to the pandora is possible.

Back