Wiz Beta Of Ommpc2X 0.4.0

sbock said:
OK, tested the Beta 8:

-The volume bar is working: Turning the option "Software Vol.:" to "on" do the job. What's this option for?
-When I go to the settings menu the first time the cpu clock reads "80", what's definitely wrong. But you now can go to "580" max. and can save the value.
-Saving the settings freezes the program and you must restart the Wiz. But the settings are saved. (Edit:) This only seems to happen when a piece of music is currently playing in the background)
-After saving the settings the icons and album arts in the "Now playing" screen are gone. I found no way to bring them back. (Edit:) Found it: Album arts must be "false". Strangely the album covers are shown anyway!
-I can confirm sometimes crashes to desktop when updating the db. But the update is done.
-(Edit:) Changing the skin to "default" you get a crash to menu and Ommpc refuses to start. OK, editing the ommpc.conf manually and change back to "crystal_ts" brings me back to play...

Thanks for the great feedback Stephan. I've been working on this for so long I forget about some of the "issues" that need to be fixed.

• Software vol turns on mpd's internal mixer to control volume as opposed to using the hardware mixer. It was introduced on the f200 to deal with the issue of not being able to turn it down low enough. On a real system, it would be used to have application specific volume. MPD would internally adjust it's output volume while leaving the system volumes(Master and PCM) alone. So when uses the software mixer, MPD takes care of the volume itself and thus knows what it is. When using the hardware mixer, MPD expects to be controlling the PCM volume, but apparently the volume changes are happening at the Master level and the PCM volume never actually changes, so the volume bar doesn't change. In other words, I think another weird GPH quirk.
  • This is caused by the fact I set the speed to 533 as an initial default, but 533 isn't an option in the list. So it just shows the first list item. Once you have a value from the list selected, it should be fine...
  • This is the long time, main problem I've always had with mpd on gp2x hardware. I have 1 "good" build of mpd that I keep bringing forward on the gp2x that is somewhat well behaved. It only locks up half the time. All my new builds are worse. I will have to look into this again and see if I can figure anything out. Until then I will make some changes to try and minimize the impact on the wiz...
  • Show Album Art is actually a depreciated option, I need to remove it...
  • If I'm going to have that default there still, I should fix it up where it works...probably just remove it...

Again, thanks for testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, thanks for testing.

Gladly. Thank you for your work on a platform you don't own.

Tim, now I installed the GP2x version on my F-200 to better track down Wiz specific bugs. See my post in the GP2x section. But your last post explains a lot...

Regards,
Stephan

[Edit:] I started to edit and test the language file to submit a German translation:

Code:
LANG_BKMRKS=Lesezeichen
LANG_CREATE_BKMRK=Lesezeichen erstellen
LANG_BROWSE_ARTISTS=Suche Interpret
LANG_BROWSE_ALBUMS=Suche Album
LANG_BROWSE_GENRES=Suche Genre
LANG_BROWSE_MEDIA=Suche Medium
LANG_ARTISTS=Interpret
LANG_ALL_SONGS=Alle Lieder
LANG_ALL_SONGS_ARTIST=Alle Lieder nach Interpret
LANG_ALL_SONGS_GENRE=Alle Lieder im Genre
LANG_NO_SONGS=Keine Lieder in Datenbank, aktualisiere von Hauptmenü
LANG_NO_SONGS_PL=Keine Lieder in Liste...
LANG_FILESYSTEM=Dateisystem
LANG_ALBUMS=Album
LANG_GENRES=Genre
LANG_ARTIST_FILTER=Interpret Filter
LANG_ALBUMS_FILTER=Albuen Filter
LANG_GENRE_FILTER=Genre Filter
LANG_UNKNOWN=--Unbekannt--
LANG_KEY_CLEAR=Clear
LANG_KEY_CANCEL=Cancel
LANG_KEY_NUMS=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0
LANG_KEY_NUMS_SHIFT=!,@,#,$,%,^,&,*,(,)
LANG_KEY_QWERTY=q,w,e,r,t,y,u,i,o,p
LANG_KEY_QWERTY_SHIFT=Q,W,E,R,T,Y,U,I,O,P
LANG_KEY_ASDF=a,s,d,f,g,h,j,k,l
LANG_KEY_ASDF_SHIFT=A,S,D,F,G,H,J,K,L
LANG_KEY_ZXCV=Shift,z,x,c,v,b,n,m,Enter
LANG_KEY_ZXCV_SHIFT=Shift,Z,X,C,V,B,N,M,Enter
LANG_KEY_BOTM=/,Comma,., ,-,',Back
LANG_KEY_BOTM_SHIFT=?,<,>, ,_,",Back
LANG_RET_TO_PLAYER=Zurück zum Player
LANG_SAVE_PL=Sichere Playlist
LANG_PL=Playlists
LANG_NEW_PL=Neue Playlist
LANG_RAND_PL=Zufällige Playlist
LANG_ADD_ALL_SONGS=Alle Lieder hinzu
LANG_DEFAULT_PL_PREFIX=Playlist_
LANG_SAVE_PL_AS=Sichere Playlist als...
LANG_MENU=Tasten Konfiguration
LANG_CANCEL=Zurück
LANG_CLOCK=CPU Takt
LANG_CLOCK_LOCKED=CPU Takt wenn gesperrt
LANG_SHOW_ART=Zeige Album Bild
LANG_SKIN=Skin
LANG_SOFT_VOL=Software Lautstärke
LANG_INSTALL_PATH=Programm Pfad
LANG_MUSIC_PATH=Musik Pfad
LANG_PL_PATH=Playlist Pfad
LANG_ART_PATH=Album Bild Pfad
LANG_SAVE=Sichern
LANG_MPD_NOT_STARTED=MPD nicht gestartet, Konfiguration bearbeiten und neustart.
LANG_MENU_NP=Zurzeit läuft
LANG_MENU_PL=Derzeitige Playlist
LANG_MENU_LIB=Musik Bibliothek
LANG_MENU_PLS=Playlist Manager
LANG_MENU_BKMRKS=Lesezeichen Manager
LANG_MENU_PRGM=Starte Programm
LANG_MENU_OPTIONS=Player Optionen
LANG_MENU_UPDATE=Aktualisiere MPD Datenbank
LANG_MENU_DETACH=Schließe Client
LANG_MENU_EXIT=Beenden
#Keybinding names
LANG_BINDINGS=Show Current Mode Keys
LANG_GLOBAL_BINDINGS=Show Global Keys
BIND_RIGHT=Right
BIND_LEFT=Left
BIND_UP=Up
BIND_DOWN=Down
BIND_DETACH_CLIENT=Detach Client
BIND_SHOW_CONTROLS=Show Controls
BIND_VOL_UP=Volume Up
BIND_VOL_DOWN=Volume Down
BIND_SHOW_MENU=Show Menu
BIND_LOCK=Lock Screen
BIND_TOGGLE_MODE=Toggle Mode
BIND_TOGGLE_VIEW=Toggle View
BIND_MENU_SELECT=Select
BIND_MENU_CANCEL=Cancel
BIND_MENU_HELP=Key Bindings
BIND_LIB_SELECT=Select
BIND_LIB_PLAY_PAUSE=Play/Pause
BIND_LIB_PREV_DIR=Prev Dir
BIND_LIB_STOP=Stop
BIND_LIB_ADD_TO_PL=Add to Playlist
BIND_LIB_ADD_AS_PL=Add as Playlist
BIND_LIB_QUEUE=Add to Queue
BIND_PL_PLAY_PAUSE=Play/Pause
BIND_PL_STOP=Stop
BIND_PL_NEXT=Next
BIND_PL_FF=Fast Forward
BIND_PL_PREV=Prev
BIND_PL_REW=Rewind
BIND_PL_TOGGLE_RND_RPT=Toggle Rnd/Rpt
BIND_PL_RND=Rnd
BIND_PL_RPT=Rpt
BIND_PL_REMOVE_FROM_PL=Rm from Playlist
BIND_PL_MOVE_IN_PL=Move in Playlist
BIND_PL_QUEUE_NEXT=Queue
BIND_PLBROWSE_SELECT=Select
BIND_PLBROWSE_PLAY_PAUSE=Play/Pause
BIND_PLBROWSE_STOP=Stop
BIND_PLBROWSE_APPEND=Append
BIND_PLBROWSE_DEL=Delete
BIND_BOOKMRK_SELECT=Select
BIND_BOOKMRK_PLAY_PAUSE=Play/Pause
BIND_BOOKMRK_STOP=Stop
BIND_BOOKMRK_DEL=Delete

Notice: Personally I prefer the english translation, but I think there're some people who will might get use of it.
Even not using my own translaton it's a nice feature to support different languages.
I find it really difficult to translate some words, as nobody here uses a German word for "Playlist".
Bindings are not translated yet (Are they used anyway?)
The same apply to the virtual keyboard. (I think there's not enough space)
German Umlauts are not supported. Do you want me to leave them out?
Some texts are very long now. Drop me a line if you want me to shorten the words.

Awesome, a translation! The file Is being read as utf-8 so I believe special characters such as umlauts should work if saved as utf-8? I live in the land where simple ASCII still rules so I don't have much experience with doing so... But I think I remember testing that and it working...

Binding are used in the key binding lists that are displayed when you press the start and select buttons together...

Keyboard is still hardcoded, so nothing to do there yet...
My bad, apparently I did include the keyboard...hmm...I guess throw what you would expect there and we can see what it ends up looking like...

I'll take a look and see what changes we might can make...for things like playlist just put what you would expect to see in the context of a music player...

Also there is a new build labeled 0.4.1.
  • Turns on software vol by default
  • Polls mpd more frequently in an attempt to make ui more responsive
  • Removed art option
  • Changed CPU clock to be 100-600 in approx. 33.3333mhz increments
  • New build of mpd I'm hopeful will be a little more tolerant of CPU speed changes. Positive results on open2x test.
  • Hid default skin dir in option list.

http://ommpc.googlecode.com/files/ommpc2x-0_4_1-wiz.zip

Short test, not much time. Tomorrow more:

Looks good. The settings menu now shows cpu 533/200 opening it the first time. This is correct.
Only problem I found: Changing a value (not the speed), saving the settings, closing Ommpc and starting it again. Now looking at the settings: cpu 65/100 (never touched them). These values are false, because touchscreen is still accurate. Now you can even see the entry "Show Album Art" which wasn't there before saving. So I think there is a bug when saving the settings...

(Edit:) This bug only happens once. I try to find out why...

OK, made some extensive tests now: Good work, Tim! The new version is now a lot more stable and useable. The crash when updating the db is there, but it's now very seldom. The crash when saving the settings is gone. I found this strange bug mentioned in my last post. But only one time. Will examine further...

Now recapitulate what we have:

-Good touchscreen support at default speed. Even the virtual keyboard is very good to use this way. Rest of the controls works.
-Hold modus works with underclocking. After hold ended touchscreen is accurate again.
-Very good volume range.
-OGG, MP3, MOD, ID3 display, library functions, repeat the music at the same place when exiting all work great.
-Album art works (There is a little bug that the album art is sometimes not shown at the first music you play. Skipping forth and back and it's there. This bug is also on the F-200 0.4.2 version)
-Detach client ends in crash (black screen), when music plays at the background.
-Nasty screen flickering at: the settings menu, the virtual keyboard.
-Response of the player is OK. I think the F-200 reacts a little faster, but I hardly would call it a problem of Ommpc. I think it's a Wiz problem.

sbock said:
OK, made some extensive tests now: Good work, Tim! The new version is now a lot more stable and useable. The crash when updating the db is there, but it's now very seldom. The crash when saving the settings is gone. I found this strange bug mentioned in my last post. But only one time. Will examine further...

Now recapitulate what we have:

-Good touchscreen support at default speed. Even the virtual keyboard is very good to use this way. Rest of the controls works.
-Hold modus works with underclocking. After hold ended touchscreen is accurate again.
-Very good volume range.
-OGG, MP3, MOD, ID3 display, library functions, repeat the music at the same place when exiting all work great.
-Album art works (There is a little bug that the album art is sometimes not shown at the first music you play. Skipping forth and back and it's there. This bug is also on the F-200 0.4.2 version)
-Detach client ends in crash (black screen), when music plays at the background.
-Nasty screen flickering at: the settings menu, the virtual keyboard.
-Response of the player is OK. I think the F-200 reacts a little faster, but I hardly would call it a problem of Ommpc. I think it's a Wiz problem.

Hey Stephan, if you get the chance, could you try the attached build and see if compiling with the SWSURFACE flag makes any difference with the UI repsonse. Thanks.

Also, is the flickering only on the setting screen with the keyboard(you can also get the keyboard saving a playlist/bookmark)? And is it only at the top of the screen where the title is? And does it happen while there is actually a title being displayed?

Hey Stephan, if you get the chance, could you try the attached build and see if compiling with the SWSURFACE flag makes any difference with the UI repsonse. Thanks

I would call it slightly better but it's really hard to tell.

I tracked the flickering problem: It's only flickering when you choose a character via touchscreen or the buttons for a few seconds. It's pretty good when you don't do anything. Could it be the little picture on the left top displaying the chosen key? And yes this problem occurs with all virtual keyboards.

It's this screen I mean where you can also see some flicker. This flicker is steady even if you do nothing.

Ommpc.png

The most flicker is on the highlighted bar. In this case "Install Path".

sbock said:
Hey Stephan, if you get the chance, could you try the attached build and see if compiling with the SWSURFACE flag makes any difference with the UI repsonse. Thanks

I would call it slightly better but it's really hard to tell.

I tracked the flickering problem: It's only flickering when you choose a character via touchscreen or the buttons for a few seconds. It's pretty good when you don't do anything. Could it be the little picture on the left top displaying the chosen key? And yes this problem occurs with all virtual keyboards.

It's this screen I mean where you can also see some flicker. This flicker is steady even if you do nothing.

Ommpc.png

The most flicker is on the highlighted bar. In this case "Install Path".

Any difference in flicker on the settings page with the SWSURFACE build?

I believe you see the flicker on the keyboard and the settings page because the screen is actually redrawn often at those times. Most of the time, we don't actually re-draw anything unless something has changed and needs refreshed. I think the main culprit is going to be the slow 20fps I refresh at so as not to use alot of cpu with the UI. I'll research some of the other wiz flicker threads and then probably put together a couple of builds that refresh at a different rate, just to see if it makes any difference...

Nope.

I tried to fiddle a little bit with notaz display timing tool but no success..

sbock said:

Nope.

I tried to fiddle a little bit with notaz display timing tool but no success..

Another test build, defaults to 10fps. Accepts a new config file item "fps=??" to be manually added to the ommpc.conf file. So sometime you're feeling bored, you can try different values to see if it helps/hurts the flicker any...

Fiddled around with this, but no change at all. The performance isn't affected either. No matter if a choose 1 or 120fps.
I load the batteries of my camera and try to upload a little movie so you can get a better idea of the problem...

I updated the German language file. Tested it with utf-8 and now the umlauts work fine.

http://www.sbock.gmxhome.de/upload/de

sbock said:
I updated the German language file. Tested it with utf-8 and now the umlauts work fine.

Could you attach the file to a post...or email to me at my gmail address...codertimt. Thanks.

Coder_TimT said:
sbock said:

Could you attach the file to a post...or email to me at my gmail address...codertimt. Thanks.

Try it now. First i tried to use the boards upload function, but failed... :rolleyes:

sbock said:
Fiddled around with this, but no change at all. The performance isn't affected either. No matter if a choose 1 or 120fps.
I load the batteries of my camera and try to upload a little movie so you can get a better idea of the problem...

I'm going to attach another file that outputs the target fps because there should have been a definite noticable difference in the fps. 1fps should have been unusable with massive delay between button presses. You probably wouldn't notice much at the higher fps, but some things like the display current key in the top corner on the keyboard screen should disappear quickly as that isn't framerate limited in any way...

Also, found issues in my handling of the utf-8 file. The non-ASCII characters aren't showing up correctly...which kind of defeats the purpose of it being a utf-8 file.

One more thing, in regard to "Detach Client", can you check the output and see if it exits cleanly. I'm thinking it does, but something funny is going on when it tries to reload the menu while music is playing...

Detach client without muic playing:

Code:
Keyboard=32768state=1, keysym->sym=0End status polling thread
End art-loading thread
Exited cleanly
view created...
GP2X wiz Mode...
FB_OpenMouse()
Using tslib touchscreen
Check joystick...MES_MLC_SetLayerPriority.829: MES_ASSERT error

Detach client with music playing:

Code:
HYUN_DEBUG: pollux_audio_open() 
End art-loading thread
End status polling thread
Exited cleanly
view created...
GP2X wiz Mode...
FB_OpenMouse()
Using tslib touchscreen

root@wiz:/usr/gp2x#

You're right: The Wiz don't crash, it's the menu. I can still control the Wiz via RS232. I call the menu. I hear some music and the menu crashes again.

Here's a complete log successfully starting and closing Ommpc:

Code:
EXIT
lang us-en
There is a byte order mark at the beginning of the file
child exit status 0
lang us-en
There is a byte order mark at the beginning of the file
FB_OpenMouse()
Using tslib touchscreen
1 joysticks were found.
    PEP Joy
set video mode
Unable to load button image: Couldn't open skins/crystal_ts/rnd_back.png
Unable to load button image: Couldn't open skins/crystal_ts/rpt_back.png
Unable to load button image: Couldn't open skins/crystal_ts/seek_big_back.png
target fps=57
away we go
updating db 0
np 0
Can't find AlbumArt.jpg
Can't find AlbumArtSmall.jpg
Can't find Folder.jpg
Can't find 
no art found, loading default
End status polling thread
End art-loading thread
Exited cleanly
view created...
GP2X wiz Mode...
FB_OpenMouse()
Using tslib touchscreen

audio_set_fragments

So the fps parameter is loaded. Can't see any change with flickering/performance yet, but will do some more testing.
My German translation can now be seen in the main menu at the bottom of the icons. But you're right utf-8 is messed up.

[Edit:] The fps parameter work! I tried values from 1- 120 and you now see a change in performance and flicker.
Testing now...

I can that the player supports covers. Do those have to be embedded or do just have to the cover in the directory where the mp3 file is?

Regards

André

fettouhi said:
I can that the player supports covers. Do those have to be embedded or do just have to the cover in the directory where the mp3 file is?

Regards

André

It doesn't do embedded, so it needs to be a file in the directory...Looks for AlbumArt.jpg, AlbumArtSmall.jpg, Folder.jpg, then just tries to grab the first jpg it comes to in the folder... Probably need to reexamine that list, but that is the current behavior.

Coder_TimT said:
fettouhi said:

Regards

André

It doesn't do embedded, so it needs to be a file in the directory...Looks for AlbumArt.jpg, AlbumArtSmall.jpg, Folder.jpg, then just tries to grab the first jpg it comes to in the folder... Probably need to reexamine that list, but that is the current behavior.

Doesn't only look for jpg or can it display png?

Regards

André

Back