Craigamp 3.0 Final

Thanks Craig

* Some minor bug i found out is that when adding a folder it shows ADDED and when saving the playlist the word SAVED overlaps the ADDED.

* To add folder you cannot select the folder and press A you have to enter the folder and press A on the ..(Up) <-- no idea if this is normal

* Pgup Loops but not PgDown <-- no idea if this is normal too

* Ghost Selector
Pgup and PgDown does not work well with the normal folders(those without audio files) Still able to pgup and down even thou there is no audio files it still identify the non audio files although you are not able to see them

Example
Folder A has this file abc.txt
Using up and down would not be able to select it.
But using pgup and down somehow identifies the file although it does not show it.
And of course pressing B hangs the program when the invisible file is selected

When you try to go up from ..(Up) it sometimes skips back to ..(Up)
Similar problem as above except with more folders
Example if a folder have all these contents
Folder A
Folder B
Folder C
Folder D
abc.txt
But this time using up will be able to select the abc.txt sort of
when you try to move up again it loops back to ..(Up)

Another problem arising from this is when playing without a playlist, after a song it tries to search for the next song by finding the next file. so if the folder have a non audio file or when you are in a folder with a non audio file (browsing when the song is playing) it hangs after the track is played.

* One minor suggestion have a background cursor rather than your file selector.
Now when pressing L or R it skips to the next file where your selector is pointing rather than the next track of the currently playing track
This also happens when shuffling in another way. When the selector is at the 5th track, after shuffling the selector will remain on the 5th track. Maybe it can be reseted to the first track after a shuffle or something.

I apologize for my poor english

For midi I think you will have to have timidy(?) installed, duke3d uses it.

Kag: Thanks for finding those little bugs! Looks like you really did some good testing and playing about, i'll fix them.

Gave it a try and noticed a few things:

* It doesn't seem to handle 48kHz mp3's (plays them as if they were 44.1kHz, i.e. too slow).
* Seeking a long file takes forever (I like to listen to those insane 160MB 2h DJ sets). It looks like the player actually does decoding until it reaches the seek point. Technically it could just calculate the byte offset in file and start searching for syncword from there, which could be found very fast and playback resumed almost instantly (as it happens in most PC players).

I couldn't find a player which does seeking properly for GP2X at all..

Hi Notaz,

Yes, it seems that is how SDL likes to seek a file, I made the mistake of starting out with SDL music routines (although I abandoned SDL half way though the player so it is now a funny mix).

What did you use in picodrive for the mp3 routines?

THANKS CRAIG, YOU RULE!

(BTW: It's TiMidity: http://timidity.sourceforge.net/)

Glad to finally not have to go through 20+ tracks and order them into a playlist just to play them in order now! :)

Also, what do you mean about DIVX and AVI support? Are you going to also make it a video player? If you do, make sure to add support for WMV and MPEG and stuff... it's annoying that only DIVX works on the GP2X :(

I have a bit of a gripe I don't know if it's the player or the GP2X but when listening to audio tracks the volume and the balance of either left or right channel keeps changing it's really wierd (running CAmp at 100Mhz) and annoying I thought it was just the particular track but it seems to do this for every track.

This is with headphones btw. Is this an issue with the GP2X? Also at the end of each track there's some random static hiss, am I the only one getting this?

DBH said:
I have a bit of a gripe I don't know if it's the player or the GP2X but when listening to audio tracks the volume and the balance of either left or right channel keeps changing it's really wierd
I get this as well, with both speakers and with headphones, in all apps. Well, at least it sounds like the same kind of problem. Im pretty sure mine is hardware related.

Last edited by a moderator:
DBH said:
I have a bit of a gripe I don't know if it's the player or the GP2X but when listening to audio tracks the volume and the balance of either left or right channel keeps changing it's really wierd (running CAmp at 100Mhz) and annoying I thought it was just the particular track but it seems to do this for every track.

This is with headphones btw. Is this an issue with the GP2X? Also at the end of each track there's some random static hiss, am I the only one getting this?
I have the very same problem, I noticed that too when playing emus with the normal gp2x speakers. wich firmware version are you using?

Micket said:
DBH said:
I have a bit of a gripe I don't know if it's the player or the GP2X but when listening to audio tracks the volume and the balance of either left or right channel keeps changing it's really wierd
I get this as well, with both speakers and with headphones, in all apps. Well, at least it sounds like the same kind of problem. Im pretty sure mine is hardware related.

I get this too with all media players for the 2x (that's both craigamp and the default player), but not in emulators or games, so I suspect it's not hardware related but firmware. I've not seen the source for this particular player but from the formats supported I suspect that the firmware's "built-in" player is being used, at least for mp3, which has some outstanding bugs when decoding mp3s.

An excellent example is an mp3 I have of "The Killers" track "Uncle Johnny" from their latest album, which starts off with all the sound in one speaker - it jumps from left to right and back again in both the default music player and in craigamp. Extremely off-putting.

D.

craigix said:
What did you use in picodrive for the mp3 routines?
I used the Helix MP3 Decoder, it does not need any OS resources, so it was suitable to run on 940, to decode audio to buffer. But it does not automatically do resampling, and only works with MPEG1 layer3, so that's why people sometimes have to reencode their MP3s to make them work in PD. Not very suitable for a player..

DBH said:
This is a known problem, this is due to a firmware bug I think.

i cant get it to play internet radio at all

i have a playlist which has mp3 and OGG streams in it (it sees the .ogg stream) when i click play it locks up.

ive only just got usb networking up and running so it might just be my setup, has anyone tested internet radio on the 2x ?

Hmm is there no solution to this Left, Right channel problem then? Not entirely sure if it's the wiring of my GP2X or the actually firmware like you were saying, does anyone have this problem in FW 3.0.0 ?

theres a possibility that im going to have problems setting up internet connection sharing with the 2x (not sure if it needs it, id assume it does)

when i try to turn on internet connection sharing it wants to make my pc's ip address 192.168.0.1 , ive reset my routers ip and various other ips on my network and windows comes back with an error saying the ip is reserved (it isnt).

im thinking maybe this is why i cannot get internet radio working but i could be wrong.

I love this music player, and it's been the one I use since the first day I got my GP2X.

PLEASE add a feature to load in album art using the filename "Folder.jpg" if it's found. MS Windows Media Player uses this filename (and others for thumbnails) when ripping CDs. For those of us that use WMP, it's a pain to either rename Folder.jpg to the album name or delete the other album art files so this is the only one that exists.

Also, when navigating to other folders, the album art doesn't change until you select a song in the new folder. Maybe this is by design to retain the album art from the song that is playing, I don't know. Since you display the playlist from the album that is being navigated to, I think it makes more sense to display the album art from the folder that is being viewed.

One more thing: when no album art exists, you might want to show a default album art from a craigamp.jpg file where the craigamp.gpe program is loaded. You could supply a default Craigamp or GP2X with the distro, and users could overwrite with their own default art if they want to.

Thanks again for a great music player!

Dunny said:
Micket said:
DBH said:
I've not seen the source for this particular player but from the formats supported I suspect that the firmware's "built-in" player is being used, at least for mp3, which has some outstanding bugs when decoding mp3s.

D.

I'm not using any built in mp3 player, infact as far as i know the firmware does not include such a feature. I'm using libmad and tremor, although how SDL interfaces with the gp2x sound is anyones guess.

* Another minor bug, sometimes changing clock speed kills the sound totally. Not sure about this if it is just my GP2X cause i dropped it a couple of times :X

* I also have some problems with some 320kbps songs, it shows as 56kbps and the length of the song shows 2017 for my 3:32 mp3
Tell me if you need the mp3.
;)

i have the same problem, it shows the wrong bitrates and playing times for most of my mp3's

can somone please confirm if networking works with craigamp ?
being able to use an internet radio stream would be great

Ok this is a bit annoying went to try and open my gp2x from the back to do the phase change setting on the speakers (think my right one is slightly off but not by much) anyways out of the four screws, 3 have smaller heads than the other and I am only able to undo one screw. bah!!!

Back