Craigamp - New Winamp Clone

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
I've been busy again making this:

example1.png

Download: http://craig.gp2x.de/craigamp/CraigAmpTest2.zip

This version has everything but the playlist editor (you can load and use playlists from winamp though).
Docs:

Oh yes?

Well, hello there and welcome to CraigAmp (or Camp), an open source music player for the GP2X.

***THIS IS A BETA PLAYLIST EDITOR IS DISABLED IN THIS VERSION***

It has every essential feature of an MP3/OGG player (IMO).

I designed and coded CraigAmp for use in cars or on home sound systems, however you can also use it on the
go as it has a lock function. It seems you can downclock to around 100mhz without any issue so it should be
good for 8 hours of use on good batteries.

It supports MP3 (all types inc VBR), OGG (all types), WAV (any) and MOD (best of luck).
[cut]
Sound is always at 44kHz.

L - Skip back a track
R - Skip forward a track
B - Begin playing (will continue to play the next track etc. until stopped)
Y - Shuffle and Play - Lit in red when active
X - Pause
A - Stop
Start - Repeat - Lit in red when active (Will repeat the current song until start is pressed again)
Select - Brings up options window (Playlists, skins, defaults, lock mode, delete song)

**Browsing : Up/Down normal, Left is page up, Right is page down.**

Volume - Increase / Decrease volume (shown in top right of screen) Range: 0 (mute) - 10 (headphones) - 120 (max)

Features supported:

ID3 Tags : Main info is shown in 3 boxes.

Memory : The player will remember your settings and where you last were and start from that location when it is ran again.
Volume, DIR, playing song, shuffle on/off & skin is saved. Note that Volume is only saved when a new song starts,
and a skin when you choose to save the skin on the skin browser.

Note: If the player ever fails to start (black screen) delete the file 'memory.camp' from /music.

Shuffle : Ramdonly play songs from your DIR or playlist, a further feature is that it won't replay the same song too soon.

Playlists : Uses WinAmp format (.m3u), you can load a winamp playlist - but be sure to recreate the same DIR
structure as your PC (and that the .m3u file is in the same place), If a file is not found it may cause
a crash. You should check your DIRs to make sure it is setup correctly.

Also note that the GP2X file system seems to have issues with extended characters (symbols) so if they
are found in a playlist the song will be ignored to avoid a crash. The solution is to manually add the song
from the CraigAmp playlist editor.

Playlist Editor : Here you can make and edit your playlists, they are saved as 1.m3u, 2.m3u, 3.m3u etc. you can rename them
on your PC to more suitable names if you wish.

Lock up : To activate lockup press select to bring up the options window and then press L then R. 'LOCKUP' will appear in the
middle of the screen. To exit the lockup press L then R then Select quickly. To skip back and forward through
songs in this mode quickly tripple click L or R.

Skins : Press Select to bring up the options window, then select Skins (Y), CraigAmp comes with 10 or so skins but you can make
your own, just view a skin in a paint program and you will see how it works, to load a skin you have to be in the same
DIR as it when you enter the skin browser.

Delete a song : Press Select to bring up the options window and select 'Delete Song' to delete the song you have highlighted.
If the song is currently playing it will stop and the next one will play. The deletion is final and cannot be
undone.

Feel free to make new skins and hack the code or add support for new file formats (should be quite easy).

CraigAmp uses Libmad and all decoding is fixed point based. Porting to other portable devices is encouraged!

To contact me i can be found on gp32x.de (craigix) boards or via www.gp2x.co.uk

The included skins are based on designs I found online by 'Jones Owns', Richard Pettifer & Sonistar.
[/cut]

Last edited by a moderator:
Great proggy, craigix, thanks. Working very well so far.

I don't know if you're looking for suggestions or just bug reports, but I usually like to see the total runtime of a song. Many of the albums I listen to have 20+ minute songs, so it would be useful -- though I understand most people wouldn't care.

i can't figure out how to exit the program :p

Edit: Hey its a really nice program. good sound quality. It shows a lot of promise. I agree with gaterooze though, maybe the ability to switch different time options and scrolling titles. keep up the good work.

For all who want to know how to make their own skins. They are just 24bit BMP's renamed to .skin files. :) I hope this helps in the creation of your own skins for the player :)

Yes, also the font colours are in the top right of the skins (just load one in to paint shop or something)

The animated parts + icons are all under the numbers. Quite simple really, i'd like somemore skins actually if someone wants to make some :)

Sounds awesome! Any chance the lockup-mode can/will shut off the screen to save batteries, like the official music player does?

So far this is great winamp player. Will there be way to use winamp plugins in future versions
of this player? :D

Faugh posted on Oct 19 2006 at 06:33 PM said:
Sounds awesome! Any chance the lockup-mode can/will shut off the screen to save batteries, like the official music player does?

I second this. Being able to shut the screen off would be an excellent feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Great work craigix! Wow, first the gmu from wejp and now this from you. Makes me feel great that the gp2x is my first new handheld system since I bought the original Game Boy in 1989. Coincidentally I got the gp2x to also be the mp3 player for my car and this is awesome! Since this is an early test and you have those goals in mind I wont post any requests and just sit back and enjoy the music.

Thanks again,

-gp2xs

Back