Network Two Gp2xs Via Usb Link Cable?

Remember that USB is a master-slave bus (or "Host"-"Device" in USB language). When you connect your GP2X up to a PC, the PC is the host and the GP2X is the device. The normal USB connector on the GP2X is a device port, and so you can't network two GP2X's by connecting those ports together.

The GP2X does have USB host capabilities, but to get access to them you need a break-out box, which you've probably heard referred to around here. Gamepark Holdings sell a break-out box which connects to the EXT connector on the bottom of the GP2X, and allows USB devices to be connected to it.

You could of course connect a GP2X as a device to a BOB-equipped GP2X host. You could then look at the files on the device GP2X from the host, but there is no software support for playing (for example) multiplayer games over such a link. Maybe that will happen in future if the demand exists.

The GP2X does have USB host capabilities, but to get access to them you need a break-out box, which you've probably heard referred to around here.

So if I wanted to connect a USB joypad or keyboard I would need a BOB?

You could of course connect a GP2X as a device to a BOB-equipped GP2X host. You could then look at the files on the device GP2X from the host, but there is no software support for playing (for example) multiplayer games over such a link.

But there is an IP network, yes? So I could write my own games that use IP networking?

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd be realistic for a driver and a USB Client to EXT cable port combo to be put together, and in theory it should work fine with one 'master' and one 'slave' GP2X unit. But I doubt anyone would produce such a thing on anything but a purely experimental basis... it'd be a lot of hassle, not much software would likely support it for that reason.

What about connecting both devices directly using a cable like the one comes with the bob? I guess a male EXT to male EXT cable is easily available and makes it possible, it was even wireless using the RF adaptor for the GP32 which was connected to EXT ports (maybe because of the different schematics of the EXT port of the GP32?)

Is there a serial connection off the ext port - could you use PPP over serial for multi-gp2x gaming? (This emulates a network across serial connections).

I played around with PPP (null-modem serial) connecting a Windows PC to my embedded linux device a year or so ago and it worked fine (dep on serial speed obviously) - well I could ping and ftp :)

Maybe there's not the hardware on the gp2x (max baudrate?) or driver problems??

From what I remember I had to enable PPP in my linux kernel.. then again maybe not, just found the following loadable linux modules -
ppp_async.o, ppp_deflate.o, ppp_generic.o, pppsyctty.o and also the pppd (daemon) - so I think that's all you'd need possibly??

Sorry, hope I haven't gone off-topic! :)

Kev

Fair enough - thought there were issues with power or something; don't follow this sort of thing much :)

I've never messed around with usb (linux has been at best temperamental with it in the past unfortunately). I take it there are drivers then to use networking across the usb (or do you use PPP?).

But there is an IP network, yes? So I could write my own games that use IP networking?

Yes, the only module needed is usbnet, which should be the one already used on the USB connection to a PC. In fact it should work without anything more than activating USB network on both sides with IPs on the same subnet.

I wish there was a cable like TV-out for usb host, simple EXT-USB. :rolleyes:

Following this principle I can theorize the possibility of a n-hosts connection using a usb hub, haven't read in detail the specs for usbnet.

EDIT: http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/index.html

:)

You could do a more-than-2-player setup by having one gp2x be the host on the hub (break out board most likely), and connect to every other gp2x via hub ports to the USB2 client port in networking mode on the units, and then have the host gp2x do bridging to allow the others to communicate with each other.

Bandwidth would be shared and usually halved, as it all has to go through the host gp2x, but this should be fine for games.

You could do a more-than-2-player setup by having one gp2x be the host on the hub (break out board most likely), and connect to every other gp2x via hub ports to the USB2 client port in networking mode on the units, and then have the host gp2x do bridging to allow the others to communicate with each other.

Bandwidth would be shared and usually halved, as it all has to go through the host gp2x, but this should be fine for games.

USB 2.0 is ~480Mbits, right? Should work. Hmmm the host with the player map, a referee, 4 players on the bob... :rolleyes:

Back