Usb Host Networking

albator

Still Fresh
Hello everyone :)

I have compiled the USBNET kernel module for GP2X.
Just had to follow this procedure:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Building_Firmware_2.0.0_modules

This module allows you to use a standard USB networking device on the GP2X, connected to an USB host port.
That means you need a craddle, or bob, or any home-made USB host cable to use it.

Please note that it's not the same as the USB gadget module shipped with the GP2X, where the GP2X is a slave device connected to an host computer.
With the USBNET module, the GP2X is the host device, and uses an USB networking device as slave.

I'm currently using this module to connect my GP2X to my home network through my Freebox (a french ADSL box which supports ethernet, wifi, and usb networking , and automatically bridges them together !)
So my GP2X is connected to the box, and it automatically sees all other devices connected on my network.
It should also work with any "standard" usb-ethernet adapter, but I have no more information.

Succesfully tested on GP2X-F100 with kernel 2.1.1 and 2.5.0 .

1) Make sure the USB host module is loaded (see configuration menu of the GP2X)
2) Download and untar the archive on your SD-card
3) edit the "network.gpu" script to change the IP address of the GP2X
4) run the script from the "utilities" menu

Here's the link to the archive:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,2437

Have fun networking your GP2X :D

If I understood correctly you can connect ADSL Modem/Router to a GP2X thus it can work with F-200 too. Because here we just use the USB Host functionality of GP2X. We are not dealing with USB Net.

That's right.
To clarify, with this module, the GP2X becomes an "USBnet host" whereas the builtin function from GPH is "USBnet slave" (this one seems to have disapeared in F200).

This USBnet host module recognizes the CDC compliant devices, which includes:
- some USB-to-USB host cable (allows to connect 2 computers via USB)
- some USB "gadget devices" (PDA, ADSL modem, should even work with another GP2X F100 as slave !)

Look at:
http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/ for some information. (especially devices marked with "minidriver: cdc_subset")
According to this page, USB to ethernet adapters won't work (need another driver) :(

I suppose the usbnet host driver should work with F200 if it's firmware is based on Linux kernel 2.4.25 just like the F100.

Hi, I just want to know how to hook 2 gp2x and make a lan, wich step i'm missing?:

Gp2x with usb host:
- activate usb host and usb net in Settings
- edit with the proper ip and launch your script

Gp2x with usb slave:
- activate usb net, and set the ip properly in Settings (same netmask than the other one)

Join it with a cable usbhost - mini usb

So how can i test it? Maybe running sterm and writting some commands? Trying to run Quake port and trying to play in local network mode?

Thanks 4 listening and sorry for refloating :)

Back