Usb Host On Firmware 1.4????

Geevowitz

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Is the firmware version 1.4 ready for usb host? I made a cable today from a dell dj that fits in the ext port. I made it for usb host, and I connected a usb mp3 player to it and connected the external power, my mp3 player says "USB connected" but I can't access it. If firmware 1.4 is capable of usb host, how do i access the mp3 player, or do I have to build my own kernel like it says on the wiki?

Vimacs posted on Feb 18 2006 at 10:52 PM said:
its not...

There's 3.3V coming out of the ext port. You can change this to 5V for a suitable powered usb host, but it's best to keep the current limit to something sensible, like 100ma. Art103 has already done this in one of his usb host leads. (He has another lead for people who wish to powerup current guzzling harddrives, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Feb 18 2006 at 05:24 PM said:
Vimacs posted on Feb 18 2006 at 10:52 PM said:
its not...

There's 3.3V coming out of the ext port. You can change this to 5V for a suitable powered usb host, but it's best to keep the current limit to something sensible, like 100ma. Art103 has already done this in one of his usb host leads. (He has another lead for people who wish to powerup current guzzling harddrives, etc).

Is this enough to power something like a keyboard/mouse/joystick/flashdrive? I'm just curious...

It should be, the USB specification requires that devices connect in a low-power mode (100 mA maximum) and state how much current they need, before switching, with the host's permission, into high-power mode.

Typically, only devices which contain motors or lights require more than 100ma, so keyboards, keydrives, mouse, joystick, etc should all be fine.

Squidge posted on Feb 19 2006 at 12:13 AM said:
It should be, the USB specification requires that devices connect in a low-power mode (100 mA maximum) and state how much current they need, before switching, with the host's permission, into high-power mode.

Typically, only devices which contain motors or lights require more than 100ma, so keyboards, keydrives, mouse, joystick, etc should all be fine.

here is hope that an usb wifi-stick works with the powered ext port.
man i'm waiting fot the day readng mail with some tiny sdl-mail client on the couch, and
surfing the web with links-browser.

cheers
rSl

Uhmmm, Wifi may be a no-go with only 100ma.

transmission can take upto 400ma, recieving 300ma.

even the 'more' efficient models arn't much better.

Bluetooth on the other hand may work just fine...

1.8inch hard drives would work they run at 3.3v

theyre preety cheap aswell about 60 pound i think for 15gb

youll have to make your own adaptor though

OmarNawaz posted on Feb 18 2006 at 11:12 PM said:

But a hard drive uses A LOT more then 100mA

well, its not like its hard to make a 3.3 or 5v addon to your ext to usb adapter, 3 or 4 recahrgable AAs would do it and not add a whole lot of extra bulk, or a small li-ion battery if you want to pay more

But if i want to connect a selfpowered hard drive ( a Gmini xs 202 from archos for exemple ), this should be possible as it doesn't really need to be powered by the usb host ?

greven posted on Feb 19 2006 at 03:57 AM said:
But if i want to connect a selfpowered hard drive ( a Gmini xs 202 from archos for exemple ), this should be possible as it doesn't really need to be powered by the usb host ?

Yep. Just need a way to make the GP2X be able to mount it and then be able to access it...

Personally I'd like to see a Hdd slip on jacket, perhaps with an independant powersource.

I think GPH would be missing a trick without this, hey they're making a breakout box!

Perhaps a future version might have one integrated?

i have my self-powered JOBO Datatank (60gigs) connected to my GP2X right now, its playing movies back off it just fine, through my BreakoutBox .. no sweat.

Got any photo's?

I'm curious to see the arrangement...

P.s saw this, look interesting, internal battery/wall supply, don't know about Usb though, still you could just carry with you and top up your SD card as required!

40Gb 2.5" Portable archive

Hah, bought it, couldn't resist, I was going to buy another 2Gb Sd card, but now I can just swap files!

Will post to let you know how it works out... :D

reallynotnick posted on Feb 19 2006 at 05:18 AM said:
OmarNawaz posted on Feb 18 2006 at 11:12 PM said:

But a hard drive uses A LOT more then 100mA

yeah...the self powered usb cable steps up the voltage from 3.3v to 5v but you can only draw 100ma

you dont have to step up the voltage for the ipodhard drive so you can draw more amps.

you could self power the hard drive if you wack on a ipod battery hmmmm would a pretty small package could just stick it to the back of the gp2x

i got a ipod lying around the logic board is a goner but the harddrive and the battery is still fine i remeber seeing a guy connect up a 3.5inch harddrive to a ipod that means the pinout should be staandardish

might just have a fiddle around see what happens

Back