Usb Hub

buntz

Still Fresh
So i made a cable to connect to the EXT port and I have it soldered to a header and connected to a breadboard right now. USB host works fine as long as I plug the mouse into the port itself. If I try to connect a usb hub, it wont work even after a reboot (does the gp2x no support hot swapping? Thought that was almost the deffinaition of USB). I get my power for the gp2x and the usb from a hacked ATX power supply and i know that works, it just seems as if the gp2x doesnt like the hub for some reason. Has anyone connected a hub succesfully? I know there is one on the commercially avalible interface board, so what gives?

I'm assuming you have the filter components on the breadboard, but if you don't, that would be good to add.

BradN posted on Sep 11 2006 at 01:59 PM said:
I'm assuming you have the filter components on the breadboard, but if you don't, that would be good to add.

I dont actually. I figured that the mouse worked fine with out the filter, and I took the hub apart and i can see filtering resistors and caps on the board, but what I really want to know is do i need software to make the hub work or will the gp2x detect it by itself. If you dont need and drivers, then i'll add those filtering compnents to the circut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any drivers needed for a hub should be built in - in fact I don't think it's possible to not include them, since hubs can even be used as part of motherboard hardware, etc.

Keep in mind the mouse runs at a lower signalling rate (1.5mbit/sec vs 11?) so it may work alright without the filter.

my question is do the resistors have to be the exact resistance specified or can they be different, if so what kind of range?

If you've got an ohm meter, you could test ones you have and try to pick stuff within 10% (that's a typical tolerance value anyway, though rated tolerance can range from I think 2% to 20%). If you put resistors in series, the resistance adds, so this might be useful if you don't have something exact, but don't get too carried away.

BradN posted on Sep 11 2006 at 03:57 PM said:
Keep in mind the mouse runs at a lower signalling rate (1.5mbit/sec vs 11?) so it may work alright without the filter.

Yeah good call. Wasn't even thinking about that.

[edit] Yeah deffinately needed the filter circut. I used the specified resistors, but used 22pF caps instead cause thats all i had around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back