Release new bare-bones web repo / mirror

Ok, he's moved fmn and soc to the "non-free" section, and linked to the pnd on the repo, so now I have to remove both from the repo. Neither will be available to the public until this arsehole stops what he's doing. He still hasn't asked permission, by the way - just complained that he's not happy about my suggestion of a DMCA request.

D.

Ok, he's moved fmn and soc to the "non-free" section, and linked to the pnd on the repo, so now I have to remove both from the repo. Neither will be available to the public until this arsehole stops what he's doing. He still hasn't asked permission, by the way - just complained that he's not happy about my suggestion of a DMCA request.

Hmm, I can understand that everyone is pissed off if he simply steals the PNDs and redistributes them, but he only links to the repo page, right? It's not a direct link to a file.

What's so bad about linking to the official repo page of the app / game?

Hmm, I can understand that everyone is pissed off if he simply steals the PNDs and redistributes them, but he only links to the repo page, right? It's not a direct link to a file.

Last I checked, he linked directly to the PND on the repo, not the repo page.

Nope, both Forget-me-Not and Spheres of Chaos are linked to the Repo pages, not to the PND.

That's right it's my personal choice. I've had more than enough misguided and misinformed advice already.

I'm trying to do my best here, but what with all the negativity and spam it is getting me down.

That is because you are doing the wrong thing. Do the right thing, and everybody will be happy.

Nope, both Forget-me-Not and Spheres of Chaos are linked to the Repo pages, not to the PND.
Really? They start downloading the PNDs for me instantly

Edit: Are you clicking the named links or the file links? The named links take me to the repo page, whereas the file links take me directly to the files.

Also, you can still access FMN through the file link, despite the repo showing the app as deleted - maybe something Shake's repo should consider?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I tried, there was a "directory listing" for the PNDs still and clicking those downloaded the PND directly (albeit relayed from the PND repo)

Clicking the PND should link to the PND repo page and not hot link the file.

I click now (at work though) and clicking the PND itself caused and error but there were links to the repo below.

If it links to the respective PNDs repo page there is no issue. But I do still take issue of the backwards way of viewing the situation. It's simply bad manners to expect Devs to contact you if they have issue with redistribution... really check before mirroring... but I do feel I'm talking to the brick wall now as this will not be taken as advice but negativity.

I've removed SOC from the repo, but cannot remove FMN, unfortunately. I shall ask Milkshake to remove it. If Dredd links to the repo page and not the PND itself, I'll reinstate them.

D.

Replication is something that's almost always being done at the back-end of a network, not at the front. Mention this to any serious network administrator, and he/she will agree. My advice is to just make one repository that is 100% official, replicated across multiple servers, maintained by just a few persons who are 100% trustworthy, with different ways to download the PND's (website, command line, PNDstore application or whatever).

And yes, the files are indeed hotlinked.

ED, is it possible to just disable hotlinking for the repo?

EDIT: Or would this cause more problems than it solves, in terms of PNDManager and being able to post screenshots from repo in threads...

Ok, he's moved fmn and soc to the "non-free" section, and linked to the pnd on the repo

Sorry about that ZXDunny, I didn't know you will dislike my links.

I've removed those direct links, since it was not a popular feature.

And I would of course be extremely unpopular in the community, even more so than now, if I did cause people to permanently remove their PNDs by stubbornly linking to them!!

I hope you can restore the PNDs on the repo now ZXDunny, I promise not to link to them again without your permission.

You would get a 404 if you click on those PNDs now. The links to the non-existant repo pages are still there.

From my side everything is OK now - I am ok with the changes you made - thanks !

This is good news. I'm not now sure whether he wants a direct link or not, so I removed it to be safe.

Thanks for helping with my beta testing.

OK DREDD, Thanks for that.

Seriously, you think we are ganging up on you but the reality is we don't want you and/or the Pandora community getting into trouble. Please try and understand this.

I do like of the minimalist repo, but personally I am trying to advise!

Surely the same mechanism used by pndstore etc could be used to gain direct download access to the files?

I think licensing should be made really clear on repo pages, with a link to what the liscense means, not unlike CC summay pages.

Also, (@Dredd) have you considered making Pandoria repo API compliant?

Surely the same mechanism used by pndstore etc could be used to gain direct download access to the files?

I think licensing should be made really clear on repo pages, with a link to what the iscense means, not unlike CC summay pages.

And this might be just fine, if he writes a script, that parses the json for the pnd details and displays them before downloading.

I've removed SOC from the repo, but cannot remove FMN, unfortunately. I shall ask Milkshake to remove it. If Dredd links to the repo page and not the PND itself, I'll reinstate them.

D.

I disabled direct linking to the downloads on the repo using .htaccess

If you try to do that, you will be redirected to the repo.

You can only link to the repo page.

That should fix it.

I don't know how PNDManager and PNDStore handles this - can someone test that they are still working fine?

And this might be just fine, if he writes a script, that parses the json for the pnd details and displays them before downloading.

Of course, I do intend to put a front end on this thing, display metadata, etc. I should have posted in it "pre-alpha preview testing" not "beta testing" - or not at all.

Code:
([
[/CODE]

And yes, I will make it repo API compliant since that is easy, just have to finish my script to extract all that PXML which is not so easy when I'm posting here all the time! (and yes I know there are already scripts and libraries to do this, I might use them)

I don't know how PNDManager and PNDStore handles this - can someone test that they are still working fine?

It will certainly break them. Could you please disable this .htaccess, since I am not going to hotlink to the repo any more?

It will certainly break them. Could you please disable this .htaccess, since I am not going to hotlink to the repo any more?

It shouldn't.

Thanks for not hotlinking anymore, but it might be others would do this, so I'd rather keep it like that :)

Back