GP2X New Bob

BenScar

What does this do again?
Website
Visit site
Hello all,

After reading though Torpors "My Travelling Gp2x Rig", I thought "I want one of those". Seeing as my original break out board was/is on a large piece of veroboard (copper stripboard) it's not all that portable!

After a little trip to Maplin (gotta love that place) I started to make a new little break out box.

Started out by trying to "modify" my TV-Out lead. Drilled the case and inserted the required wires, made it all neat and it still all fitted back together. Sadly I wasn't able to work out which solder point related to which pin on the connector.

After a little umming and arrring I decided to use the lead and connector off my "development" version, which is a cut up Samsung E810 serial lead.
Luckily I found that I had enough wires left over (after getting the USB and RS232 working) to also bring out the left audio, right audio and video.
The two parts of the video are merged in the EXT connector though the 410pF cap, so only one wire needed for that.

So after playing with the soldering iron and remembering why my fingers aren't all that good in small spaces (burnt skin smells bad!) I came up with this:

(Click the images for much larger versions)

No flash on the left, with flash on the right
01.topdown-thumb.jpg02.topdown-flash-thumb.jpg
03.connectors-thumb.jpg04.connectors-flash-thumb.jpg

This has RS232, USB (unpowered), Compsoite Video and Audio available on it. Quite proud of this effort as it looks neat and it all works!

The USB needs power and I found this USB Mobile Power Source which looks like it might be pretty good. It says it only needs 4 AA batteries, so using rechargables might not be useable in that (4*1.2v=4.8v rathter than 4*1.5=6v...) but at about £3.50 it might be worth a try. Otherwise, Maplins here I come again :)

Thanks
Ben
---

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it!!

Here is one option, assuming you plan to use more than one USB device :).

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/CPH420MP.asp

I personally used a $2 (~1£) 4 AAA battery holder from Radio Shack in the States.

It made 5.28 volts on fully charged 1,000mAh Duracell AAA's under no load.

It worked great for me on:

3 USB sticks

External self-powered 3.5" HDD

USB to PS/2 mouse and keyboard adaptor.

If you need something particular, I would go for the portable hub above, I am sure you can find one somewhere.

BenScar posted on Aug 4 2006 at 02:09 PM said:
The USB needs power and I found this USB Mobile Power Source which looks like it might be pretty good. It says it only needs 4 AA batteries, so using rechargables might not be useable in that (4*1.2v=4.8v rathter than 4*1.5=6v...) but at about £3.50 it might be worth a try. Otherwise, Maplins here I come again :)
I see, looks like just a battery case to me :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back