New Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poem58 said:
Not quite the Pandora, but certainly a challenge gaming/cost-wise expected to be $250 in December with Cortex A8 667/833 mhz.
http://www.engadget....-for-pre-order/
That has got to be vaporware, it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. There is no way Google would let that thing be released with their app store thing. . . whatever it is if it even exists yet. Does Android have an app store yet or does every provider with their phone just have one?

Last edited by a moderator:
El Jefe said:
this thread is train wreck.
but that would imply it was going somewhere in the first place.

this has been discussed to death anyway. Sure there may be more powerful devices out there in terms of raw cpu/gpu, but none of them even come close to having the pandora's full feature-set. period.

[/thread]

I hate the way that when the Pandora is released these people will just vanish, we don't get to laugh in their face or anything. They will probably just reregister and start to bash the Pandora instead.

Let me guess, when it first comes out they will home in on certain software 'not as good as x, the Pandora is slow, blah blah' when what they will actually mean is that, for example, some emulator/media player isn't optimised for the hardware yet. You can already see it popping up on youtube videos.

craigix said:
I hate the way that when the Pandora is released these people will just vanish, we don't get to laugh in their face or anything. They will probably just reregister and start to bash the Pandora instead.

Let me guess, when it first comes out they will home in on certain software 'not as good as x, the Pandora is slow, blah blah' when what they will actually mean is that, for example, some emulator/media player isn't optimised for the hardware yet. You can already see it popping up on youtube videos.

Ooh! And they'll also say "not as many apps as the iPhone" like they do with Maemo5 now.

craigix said:

There will be paladins in shining armor, wielding tower shields to defend the Pandora meme, striking at the heart of those evil, misinformed darklings with their flaming +5 bastard swords. The truth will be spread.

Still, the people who don't get what the device is about can go to hell, i.e. buy sth different.

Call me a fanboy if you must. I know why I support this project whole-heartedly. It was the need for a device exactly like what the Pandora has come to be, that led me to this project.

The fact that there are people interested in trashing the Pandora just means that there are people interested in the Pandora. The type of interest will change as the product changes - right now its all a bit iffy/doubty/challenge'y, because of course there are still ifs/doubts (albeit minor) in the crowd about the viability of the Pandora.

After 6 months of avid Pandora development and releases for the user base, this type of interest will change, guaranteed. We just have to put up with it until we get other things to supplant all the questions, FUD, and so on .. and by other things, I mean "final hardware in our hands, playing games that don't exist anywhere else" ..

WonderSwan much?

800px-Wonderswan_color-JD.jpg

craigix said:

Confirmed!: The Pandora is not as good as X

SONY said:
-Tj- said:
Poem58 said:
Not quite the Pandora, but certainly a challenge gaming/cost-wise expected to be $250 in December with Cortex A8 667/833 mhz.
That device is the reason I ordered a Pandora.

Please elaborate?
Long story short, I wasn't really interested in Pandora when Engadget first covered it a while back. I liked the idea, but it sounded too much like a tech and emulation-lover's dream than a reality, so I didn't give it much attention. A few months ago I saw this article on Engadget regarding the ODROID handheld. I thought the control layout was ridiculous, and left a comment saying so. A member there named Orad posted a follow-up, saying Pandora got the control scheme "right." I researched, liked what I saw, asked some questions regarding Blender, Gimp, Wacom tablet input, got the right answers, and about a week later I had my preorder in. :D

As it stands, Pandora has the most features I've wanted in such a device, and while it doesn't have everything I want, it seems to have gotten the important stuff right. So to answer the OP's questions: until a device comes along that has everything Pandora has, includes a more powerful hardware set and all the stuff I want that didn't make it, yes, Pandora is still relevant. Developer support? Seems to be going strong so far, and the device isn't even out yet.

SONY said:
Whooshed?...as in Post being edited?
"Whoosh", the sound of a joke going over your head. Alternatively, the sound of your sarcasm detector failing :p

You know what, this thread was obviously created to stir up a plop storm by someone with absolutely no hair on their balls, but it's actually been really cool reading it. From Tj's Pandora ordering story to the Wonder-o-droidswan™, great stuff.

Anyway, for my part, the Pandora is basically what I've dreamed of since I was about 8 (that's 22 years ago folks, so what's 2-ish years of production compared to that?), and it already does everything I want from it and it does them extremely well, and more, so something being technically more "powerful" really doesn't matter in the slightest to me. The only thing I would like, that it doesn't have, is Saturn emulation, which is never going to happen, not in any playable sense anyway. But, I challenge you show me one of your handheld, energon-cube powered wonder machines that does.

second exodous said:
Poem58 said:
That has got to be vaporware, it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. There is no way Google would let that thing be released with their app store thing. . . whatever it is if it even exists yet. Does Android have an app store yet or does every provider with their phone just have one?

Google wouldn't prejudice based on design, imho. Anyway, it's not like they have a choice. Android can be installed and sold with it if they want. They only thing they CAN'T do would be to include the official Android Market, which if something that Google sells to companies making handhelds like this. They can get around this by making their own version of the market, with odroid only applications.

And ugly? To me, I just kinda did a double take/flashback. I'm sure I'm not alone...

wonderswan%281%29.jpg

Guys, there's a big difference between "competitive" and "similar" hardware and "much more powerful." There are a lot of handhelds out now that have the same or similar core hardware that Pandora has but nothing that is leaps and bounds ahead of it. No, netbooks don't count.

Exophase said:
Guys, there's a big difference between "competitive" and "similar" hardware and "much more powerful." There are a lot of handhelds out now that have the same or similar core hardware that Pandora has but nothing that is leaps and bounds ahead of it. No, netbooks don't count.
Similarly: IBM supercomputers made my laptop obsolete now I'm sad BAWWWWW
ha wait there's more to a computer than CPU power... there's size.

Sugar_Kane said:
The only thing I would like, that it doesn't have, is Saturn emulation, which is never going to happen, not in any playable sense anyway.

Excuse my ignorance, but why no Saturn emulation? I've never owned one, let alone play one, but other than having extremely complicated hardware and an odd controller...?

Gary13579 said:
Sugar_Kane said:
The only thing I would like, that it doesn't have, is Saturn emulation, which is never going to happen, not in any playable sense anyway.

Excuse my ignorance, but why no Saturn emulation? I've never owned one, let alone play one, but other than having extremely complicated hardware and an odd controller...?

The Saturn is extremely difficult to emulate given the complicated hardware, as you said. It is more difficult to emulate than the Dreamcast, it's not impossible but I seriously doubt that anyone will be willing to pump in the astronomical amount of time needed to get it going on the Pandora. I would love to be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back