New Gp2x Cant Sd Card Freezes Unit

kev187

OK.. I finally got my GP2x

Its brand new out of the box, powers on fine, navigates menus ect..

I put an SD card in it, locks up
I put an SD card in it & turn it on, wont get past main screen (frozen)

I am using various cards from 1Gb to 2GB standard SD cards.

Is this because they are not formatted FAT32 yet? Will that freeze up the unit?

I am going to a friends to get use of his wintel machine as I am using a mac, going to format the cards & see if that helps?

Formatting the card(s) to FAT32 would be the first thing you should have thought of doing.
Your GP2X could have blowed up man!

Miika said:
Formatting the card(s) to FAT32 would be the first thing you should have thought of doing.
Your GP2X could have blowed up man!
Blown up?

I hardly doubt ;-) WOuld have been a good $200 show though.

Ill post back once I format

I finally broke down & got Virtual PC 7 for my mac, just for this stupid stuff. $63 for a new version on ebay so no major loss. I cannot tell everyone how anxious I am to get this thing up & running!

Last edited by a moderator:
What? You can't format to FAT32 on Mac? What a piece of shit...
Or, you can't use a card reader on it? You can't copy files? What's the problem?

Miika said:
What? You can't format to FAT32 on Mac? What a piece of shit...
Or, you can't use a card reader on it? You can't copy files? What's the problem?

I have a USB 2.0 Card Reader.... No Problem

Under the MAC Disk Utility my options are...

FAT16
MSDOS
UNIX
Various MAC formats

No FAT32

Seems odd... but what can you do...

Been using Macs since 98, so far the only things that have ever been an issue are running the software update on my Garmin GPS & now my GPX2.. Virtual PC it is, I got rid of my last PC & happy its gone :) Everyone uses what works best for them :)

Well well. I don't want to whine but if I were you I would just go to your friend and done it in the first place.

I am at a loss...

I formatted the cards Fat32

I have two 2GB cards & one 1GB card. Standard SD cards. The system freezees on boot if they are in the card slot & if you put it in after it boots.. the system freezes up???

Looks like I got a DOA system?

Microcenter said they had 3 in stock.. it took them 30 minutes to find it in the wharehouse, so it will be an adventure going back. mess...

kevin J said:
Microcenter said they had 3 in stock.. it took them 30 minutes to find it in the wharehouse, so it will be an adventure going back. mess...
Better than sending it back to an online store and waiting days / weeks. You can do it in 1 - 1 1/2 hour including driving times?

Exactly! I am leaving now, its 20 minutes away.... I am going to go wait while they hunt another one down & test it before I leave. I cannot tell you how anxious I am to get this thing set up. I had no idea they existed till a week ago, I purchased a UK retro gamer magazine & it had a full page add

kevin J said:
Exactly! I am leaving now, its 20 minutes away.... I am going to go wait while they hunt another one down & test it before I leave. I cannot tell you how anxious I am to get this thing set up. I had no idea they existed till a week ago, I purchased a UK retro gamer magazine & it had a full page add
Nice, they're still open? Good luck, looking forward to hear from you soon.

Well... No luck

I just went to microcenter, did an exchange. Went to the truck, turned it on & placed in the 1GB card, the system worked. I then placed the 2GB card, the system froze. I tried to put the 1GB card back in & now the NEW GP2X freezed everytime you put a card in it.

These are standard 1 & 2GB SD cards FAT32 formatted????? Does Gamepark just not like me? I am goingto make the return now, not sure what to do from here

Well it's not your GP2X for sure... Try formatting them on another PC or something, it has to be the SD cards I guess.

TelcoLou said:
boot it up without any cards inserted, what happens?
The system freezees on boot if they are in the card slot & if you put it in after it boots.. the system freezes up.
Seems like the system works fine. Is it a Value Pack? Does the built-in games work?

Perhaps the new firmware is at fault somehow? I don't remember so many support threads before the Value Packs came out :-/

Well

They gave me a 3rd one, the last one in stock, I also returned the 2GB card I got from them earlier.

If this helps, its system 2.10 no 3.0? Does this mean anything with the larger cards?

Even still, if its a bad format SD, it should not mess the system up?

Yes the demo games work, but only if there are NO SD cards?

I am going to go home, load the Firmware update on the 1GB card & see what happens after that. I am really confused, why a bad SD card would shut down the system?

Miika said:
Well it's not your GP2X for sure... Try formatting them on another PC or something, it has to be the SD cards I guess.

TelcoLou said:
boot it up without any cards inserted, what happens?
The system freezees on boot if they are in the card slot & if you put it in after it boots.. the system freezes up.
Seems like the system works fine. Is it a Value Pack? Does the built-in games work?

If the 1GB card works, and you decide to downgrade your firmware (It should NOT be the firmware 3.0's fault that it doesn't work, so why touch it?). But if you want, be sure to first download the firmware 2.0.0 from the archive, flash it, and then the 2.1.1 one.
It is definitely not the GP2X's fault. If you aren't mispleased with the 3.0 firmware boot time, I don't think you should downgrade. 2.1.1 boots only slightly faster.
Why no load games on the 1GB card instead? Now that the card already is FAT32, it works on the mac, right?

Miika said:
If the 1GB card works, and you decide to downgrade your firmware (It should NOT be the firmware 3.0's fault that it doesn't work, so why touch it?). But if you want, be sure to first download the firmware 2.0.0 from the archive, flash it, and then the 2.1.1 one.
It is definitely not the GP2X's fault. If you aren't mispleased with the 3.0 firmware boot time, I don't think you should downgrade. 2.1.1 boots only slightly faster.
Why no load games on the 1GB card instead? Now that the card already is FAT32, it works on the mac, right?
No you got me backwards

The system currently has 2.1.1 on it & I want to upgrade to 3.0 from 2.1.1

I was wondering if the 2.1.1 did not like the bigger cards?

Going to look online how to run the upgrade now!

kevin J said:
Miika said:
No you got me backwards

The system currently has 2.1.1 on it & I want to upgrade to 3.0 from 2.1.1

I was wondering if the 2.1.1 did not like the bigger cards?

Going to look online how to run the upgrade now!

No, for your own and everybody else's sake, NO!
If you already got 2.1.1 on it, let it be.
The differences between 2.1.1 and 3.0 are visual. No much difference than longer boot time on 3.0!
No, the 2.1.1 should have the same card support. I use 2.1.1, and a 4GB works perfectly.
And, I heard that the official 3.0 upgrade has caused a lot of mess to people, my friend bricked his GP2X when he tried to upgrade. I highly recommend you to stay at 2.1.1 and try better cards.

Back