New Gp2x Site

I'm a 'professional' web developer and recommend starting using Dreamweaver as a wysiwyg editor as well as plain text. Reasons:

1. In real development you dont have time to faff around hand coding stuff. It can all be tweaked later on.
2. Dreamweaver is a standard and actually quite good. I started around Dreamweaver 2 when it was less complicated though. I currenlty use MX 2004 as it's not over the top.

I use dreamweaver to knock up design quickly as I only use a portion of the html in a template system. I still use tables mostly and not css for layout.

I cant believe it would be banned in a class that's like not allowing photoshop in a design course.

Cant see the website but the more the better as it gives the impression of a huge user base. Although content is annoyingly repeated.

semyaza posted on Sep 14 2006 at 11:21 AM said:
1. In real development you dont have time to faff around hand coding stuff. It can all be tweaked later on.
I do "real development" of website (that's my work, php5+mysql), and a plain editor it's the only way to go.
I used Dreamweaver back in the days I knew nothing about web development and it was a good editor to start with (Frontpage is a real shit). But when it come to designing website in full xhtml+css with almost only div and span tags, Dreamweaver is actually useless as a wysiwyg.

Last edited by a moderator:
DBH posted on Sep 14 2006 at 10:35 AM said:
I can't even view the site what is the PROPER address for it? The one he gave doesn't bring up anything.

hmm... me too, has it gone down already?

AcidiC posted on Sep 14 2006 at 07:30 AM said:
Photoshop and Notepad FTW!

Our class was actually told to use notepad, and programs like dreamweaver weren't allowed :D
its notepad and paint duh.

semyaza posted on Sep 14 2006 at 11:21 AM said:
I'm a 'professional' web developer and recommend starting using Dreamweaver as a wysiwyg editor as well as plain text. Reasons:

2. Dreamweaver is a standard and actually quite good. I started around Dreamweaver 2 when it was less complicated though. I currenlty use MX 2004 as it's not over the top.

I use dreamweaver to knock up design quickly as I only use a portion of the html in a template system. I still use tables mostly and not css for layout.

I cant believe it would be banned in a class that's like not allowing photoshop in a design course.

Cant see the website but the more the better as it gives the impression of a huge user base. Although content is annoyingly repeated.
agreed :).

www.gp2xtreme.com doesn't resolve for me btw.
Have you created the domain in the last 24 hours?
"Reverse IP: 16,277 other sites hosted on this server" hehe.

halo9 posted on Sep 14 2006 at 10:49 AM said:
DBH posted on Sep 14 2006 at 10:35 AM said:
I can't even view the site what is the PROPER address for it? The one he gave doesn't bring up anything.

hmm... me too, has it gone down already?

Maybe it's the equivalent of slashdotted - gp32xed

Wonder if it's something to do with the A record. instead of the usual ns1 it has yns1...short for yahoo I suppose as these IP's dont work either.

Trying "gp2xtreme.com"
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 23215
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;gp2xtreme.com. IN ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
gp2xtreme.com. 172800 IN NS yns2.yahoo.com.
gp2xtreme.com. 172800 IN NS yns1.yahoo.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
gp2xtreme.com. 172800 IN NS yns1.yahoo.com.
gp2xtreme.com. 172800 IN NS yns2.yahoo.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
yns1.yahoo.com. 172800 IN A 66.218.71.205
yns2.yahoo.com. 172800 IN A 216.109.116.20

Code:
alvin@localhost ~ $ ping gp2xtreme.com
ping: unknown host gp2xtreme.com
alvin@localhost ~ $ ping gp2x.com
PING gp2x.com (211.233.38.199) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 211.233.38.199: icmp_seq=1 ttl=112 time=314 ms
64 bytes from 211.233.38.199: icmp_seq=2 ttl=112 time=306 ms
64 bytes from 211.233.38.199: icmp_seq=3 ttl=112 time=308 ms

--- gp2x.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2068ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 306.070/309.620/314.340/3.534 ms

The way most people start web design/development is by making a fansite about something that interests them. Of course, most such people start on Geocities or Lycos, not on the .com market... Anywho the site is down now, but no matter how incomplete it may be, it's his right to make it, maintain it, and have fun with it.

It's not like it's stealing developers to the Gizmondo or anything.

- Alex

Back