New Omap3530 Clocked Higher?

Afaik, it's more likely that a manufacturing process is improved over time rather than worsened. Looking at the general practice of throwing intentionally spec-lowered processors on the market to feed the demand, I- as a second batcher- am not really worried that I will be able to overclock the "new" 600MHz chip. We have heard that the demand for OMAP3 SoCs is very high at the moment, so from a logical point of view it makes sense for TI to "create" another version between the 600MHz and 800MHz version, to make some more bucks.
Monk said:
Does the Pandora stand above, say, the Wiz in all those respects? I find it hard to judge other communities that I've never even seen, but it seems unlikely that the Pandora community is, and shall remain, THE BEST community bar none especially when we're so very mnuch a part of the GP32X community. IMHO.
One important fact, that can't be repeated often enough is, that the Pandora community consist of gaming-centric enthusiasts _and_ UMPC/MID-centric enthusiasts. A good portion of the devs are attracted because of Pandora's openness.
It's hard to compare to WIZ, PSP, whatever, because those devices suck for everything else except gaming and media consumption.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
Afaik, it's more likely that a manufacturing process is improved over time rather than worsened.

Indeed, although supposedly it hasn't changed which sugegsts to me it hasn't improved.

IMHO no-one should be looking at the Pandora and thinking "OK, I should probably be able to get about 800 MHz out of it...". Because it's rated to 600. If you get a First Batch to 900 MHz and stable, well done! But if you can't get a first Batch one OVER 600 MHz, you've lost NOTHING from what you've paid for - a 600 Mz device. Likewise with second batch and onwards - it's sold as being able to do 600 MHz - if you gamble that it can go faster, there's only one person to blame if it doesn't.

Yeah, I remember MWeston being very pissed off a while ago by the misinformation that the Pandora is guaranteed to overclock.

mali said:
Dunny said:
The only thing that makes the Pandora stand above the upcoming competition is the control set.
What about battery size, formfactor, openness, community, devs, etc.?

Battery size? Well, it's a big 'un and no mistake. None of my phones have a battery of those dimensions, that's for sure :)

The formfactor? Well, the general consensus on the other forums I visit tend to be (other than "what, you're still waiting for that?") generally pretty negative in terms of looks. And you have to admit, it looks pig-ugly.

The openness I could care less about - if it weren't open, and someone hacked it, then I'd probably buy it.

As has been pointed out, the community is no better or worse than other predominantly linux-based groups.

The devs are pretty cool, but no more so than devs from any other community.

Don't get me wrong, the Pandora will be fun. It's just had its day now, and in the "OMG POWAR" stakes it's missed the boat. I'm less excited about it than I was; I'm actually a bit "meh" now - to the extent that I don't even know if I can be bothered to develop for it.

D.

Dunny said:
The formfactor? Well, the general consensus on the other forums I visit tend to be (other than "what, you're still waiting for that?") generally pretty negative in terms of looks. And you have to admit, it looks pig-ugly.
I'm refering to the formfactor from a practical point of view, not from an esthetical. A "big player" wouldn't release something like this, because it's not "streamlined" enough. You end up with (from a practical point of view) crap designs like the iPhone with its non-controls or the N900 with a crammed keyboard or no keyboard at all like those PMPs and handheld consoles.

The openness I could care less about - if it weren't open, and someone hacked it, then I'd probably buy it.
As has been pointed out, the community is no better or worse than other predominantly linux-based groups.
What I see is, that the openness attracts devs in the first place, which join the community and are then part of it. A very good example for a rather homogenic consumer-centric community is the Archos community surrounding their latest PMPs. Archos has released an Angström developer firmware, but there is practically no progress, because there are not enough devs in the community who are capable enough to do something useful with that firmware. They have a few hackers who jailbreak and that's it.

About it looking ugly, I always react surprised when someone calls it ugly. I just can't see it.
Maybe love blinds, but I can't say I love the Pandora. I like it a lot, though.

Monk said:
IMHO no-one should be looking at the Pandora and thinking "OK, I should probably be able to get about 800 MHz out of it...". Because it's rated to 600. If you get a First Batch to 900 MHz and stable, well done! But if you can't get a first Batch one OVER 600 MHz, you've lost NOTHING from what you've paid for - a 600 Mz device. Likewise with second batch and onwards - it's sold as being able to do 600 MHz - if you gamble that it can go faster, there's only one person to blame if it doesn't.
Actually quoting the official web page "ARM® Cortex™-A8 600Mhz+ CPU" and "430-MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core" so it's not being sold as 600Mhz device. As long as it overclocks to 600.5 they'll be ok though :D

gawd those "pandora isnt fast so it is hardly worth it" arguments are boring. seriously, why are you here? i hate it when people just chase the latest and fastest technology irrespective of how its used or the fact its really only a fraction faster or more usable than the previous iteration.

if you think its slow and ugly and so worth moaning about why are you here?

and i still cant believe that people still go on about the forthcoming apocalypse of "better" devices on the horizon. a) there is no evidence of a open software MID with dual analogues and a keyboard up and coming any time before the pandora 2 and B) who cares anyway, if it materialises and is so flippin good, go and buy it. dont bleat on about it here

RenegadeChic said:
gawd those "pandora isnt fast so it is hardly worth it" arguments are boring. seriously, why are you here? i hate it when people just chase the latest and fastest technology irrespective of how its used or the fact its really only a fraction faster or more usable than the previous iteration.

Because I pre-ordered one back when it was worth it. It's still worth it for the handheld Amiga and other retro devices - speccy emulation will be heavenly. But I'm under no illusion that the hardware is anything more than "current" rather than "cutting edge".

if you think its slow and ugly and so worth moaning about why are you here?

Because people like you tend to bite.

D.

the pandora is what it is. the gameboy is what it is. its still a totally worthwhile device.

im not even biting over how good or bad the pandora is. its never gonna bring the world revolution or anything. i just hate people being zealots over cutting edge tech. its never been about the specifications but how something is utilised. the DS and the Wii have proved that extensively.

RenegadeChic said:
the pandora is what it is. the gameboy is what it is. its still a totally worthwhile device.

im not even biting over how good or bad the pandora is. its never gonna bring the world revolution or anything. i just hate people being zealots over cutting edge tech. its never been about the specifications but how something is utilised. the DS and the Wii have proved that extensively.

Believe me, I'd buy it if it ran a 3.5mhz z80. Actually, that would make me snap it up in a second. But anyhoo - hardware isn't the point, as I've pointed out. It's the controls that grab it for me. Amiga emulation with a real keyboard. Ditto speccy emulation. Megadrive on a decent DPad.

Speaking of Amiga, it would be lovely to get AROS up and running on this. Assuming it ever gets released, that is. I'm loving the idea of swapping OS's by just changing an SD card.

D.

mali said:
Dunny said:
The only thing that makes the Pandora stand above the upcoming competition is the control set.
What about battery size, formfactor, openness, community, devs, etc.?

Don't forget a lot of those devices have the speed locked lower, and have more OS overhead. Quite frankly I'm amazed that the Pandora can still be faster with older chips. :p That's how amazingly fast it is. ;) (Yes, I'm trying to justify craig's statement)

OMG :)

This whole Pandora thing started out in being a "better GP2x" with a keyboard which we all wanted.
that is why i ordered it AND TBH because it would have been the fastest hand held.
I would say 80% to the first fact and 20% to the second.
However, as it was clear that this device could be used as a MID or mini computer, and it would have been the fastest and first ARM-based, most of the preorderers are mini computer users (as it seems). By now, I have turned into such a mini PC user as well. I wait (since over a year) to buy myself a new mobile phone, as I hope that the P can do lots of the things I would exspect from the phone and will be able to go with a cheaper phone :)

The bad side of it for the OP team is that they could have made a lot of money if they were be able to release it, say, 12 month ago. I had 5 closer friends who wanted to buy it, now they go for the N900 and other devices and none of the 5 wants the Pandora. :(
IFF the team wants to make money, they should already start planing about a Pandora2 with the next OMAP. I am sure it won't add much for emulators, maybe DC and N64 run smooth, HOWEVER, it will attract lots of mini PC useres!
Additionally, if the nubs were that expensive to develop, they should plan another device, because then the development costs for the nubs will be put to get use (as in money :) ).

PS:
Don#t get me wrong, they should start the NEw PANDORA when the first batch is sold and pick up the opinions of the users!

I do have to say I like this community much more than the iPhone community. The iPhone community seems so greedy and.. Ad-supported. I even had to throw in a hosts file with a bunch of shit blocked because of all the ads in apps even off cydia! Now, charging for apps is getting pretty popular. In no other homebrew/"open" software community have I seen this so much.

I had 5 closer friends who wanted to buy it, now they go for the N900 and other devices and none of the 5 wants the Pandora.

I have an N900. Its crap compared to the Pandora. Tell your friends that, then when you get yours, SHOW them. They'll come back to Pandora-lust, I'm sure ..

torpor said:
I had 5 closer friends who wanted to buy it, now they go for the N900 and other devices and none of the 5 wants the Pandora.

I have an N900. Its crap compared to the Pandora. Tell your friends that, then when you get yours, SHOW them. They'll come back to Pandora-lust, I'm sure ..

I guess they didn't want a gaming machine. I don't see how an N900 could replace a pandora in that respect.

Creature XL said:
Additionally, if the nubs were that expensive to develop, they should plan another device

They have. It's the iControl Pad, and it's due out in two months.

D.

Dunny said:
Speaking of Amiga, it would be lovely to get AROS up and running on this. Assuming it ever gets released, that is. I'm loving the idea of swapping OS's by just changing an SD card.

D.

I believe that somebody took the bounty for porting AROS to beagle board. Don't know if it ever got completed or not. You should be able to find out on AROS.net

I quite like AROS, as a toy kind of thing. If I had some free time I might boot it up on Pandora. Don't see me having any real use for it, unfortunately.

Pleng said:
Dunny said:

D.

I believe that somebody took the bounty for porting AROS to beagle board. Don't know if it ever got completed or not. You should be able to find out on AROS.net

I quite like AROS, as a toy kind of thing. If I had some free time I might boot it up on Pandora. Don't see me having any real use for it, unfortunately.
aros.sourceforge.net

aros.net seems to be an ISP

kuru said:
aros.sourceforge.net

aros.net seems to be an ISP

Sorry I meant aros.org!

Back