New Open Source Api

Holokauston said:
...and SDL can't really initiate OpenGL|ES.

You can usually initialize the window via SDL, ask SDL for the created window handle and pass it to EGL in something like 2 lines of code. At least I know it works in Windows ;) (get hwnd, GetDC(hwnd) and pass the DC to EGL)

I presume someone doing the Pandora-SDL port should add a OPENGL_ES flag in there to do it automatically :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really neat. However, it doesn't seem complete yet. It mentions that it lacks an equivalent to SDL Regions - which are pretty big performance booster for 2D scrolling?

This library rocks, I have seen its api and is really nice and simple. What's the problem with the link with the openGL? :huh:

Gammenon said:
This library rocks, I have seen its api and is really nice and simple. What's the problem with the link with the openGL? :huh:
Take a look at the source, it use OpenGL for SFML/Windows

you must give a devicecontext (X11 under Linux) to Opengl

but for the Pandora TI speak only about OpenVG, EGL and OpenGL ES 1.1 and OpenGL ES 2.0 ;)

So all the call to OpenGL must be converted to EGL/OpenGL ES 2.0 , not really difficult but take time :) and it is a different philosophy to program, less than OpenGL ES 1.1 also as i can read ;)

Doesn't sound too bad to me. Also some sort of Xserver will definately be running on Pandora. Is it a lot of hassle to convert the OpenGL calls to OpenGL ES 2.0 calls? It's a one time job, isn't it? Maybe they will adopt an OpenGL ES branch out of a community effort by us, maybe even optimized for ARM...

xnopasaranx said:
Doesn't sound too bad to me. Also some sort of Xserver will definately be running on Pandora. Is it a lot of hassle to convert the OpenGL calls to OpenGL ES 2.0 calls? It's a one time job, isn't it? Maybe they will adopt an OpenGL ES branch out of a community effort by us, maybe even optimized for ARM...
I have to wonder about the X, I mean if it's not going to be doing a lot of multi-tasking and multiple windows then a single threaded, one frame buffer app at a time like the gp2x makes much more sense. Just need to build it's apps that way, I really don't see how you can avoid building custom packages for it so why not build them for the framebuffer. Does OpenGL ES need X? Think I've seen it both ways.

Hi

(for those who don't know, I'm the creator of SFML)

I started to modify SFML to allow other rendering APIs than OpenGL ; The modification is done and the OpenGL ES 2.0 renderer is almost working.

I've emailed Craig to get more informations about the operating system and the native APIs available on Pandora, to see if I can finish the port ;)

I'm glad to see you here, Laurent. This time I'm sure you are the SFML creator and not another French Laurent :D

Back