New Or Old School D&d Game

pinhead

Still Fresh
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good roll playing game for the GP2X. Either new or Old School.

I remember playing one years ago on the Apple II. I believe it was Wizardry but I am not sure. I have played many including the Ultima games but I was looking for something that you could pick your race, build up attributes, etc...

Anything come to mind, anyone old school out there ?? If so, please name the game and emulation system. Thank you,

David...

pinhead said:
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good roll playing game for the GP2X. Either new or Old School.

I remember playing one years ago on the Apple II. I believe it was Wizardry but I am not sure. I have played many including the Ultima games but I was looking for something that you could pick your race, build up attributes, etc...

Anything come to mind, anyone old school out there ?? If so, please name the game and emulation system. Thank you,

David...
You're better off playing one that ran on a console rather than a computer, so you don't have to worry about messing with an emulated keyboard. Just do a Google search for:
  • best console rpg
  • best sega genesis rpg
  • best super nintendo rpg
  • best nes rpg
  • ...etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Eye Of Beholder (SNES) is the best aD&D I had seen at Gp2x.

quasist said:
Eye Of Beholder (SNES) is the best aD&D I had seen at Gp2x.
oh ya... totally forgot about the problem with keyboard integration. I was going to look into it further and search the forums but have not had time yet. I thought that you could connect a USB keyboard up to the unit but I think that I read that the USB is not powered.

I will try those searches you recommended as well as Eye of the Beholder. I have not tried that one.

David...

best rpg questions come up here all the time. there are loads of threads. search the forums.

Theres quite a few on the C64 which might be good. I havent played them myself but I sold a few on ebay and they fetched a high price. names escape me at the moment

pinhead said:

David...
I have a blog post about emulating Wizardry on the GP2x here. Short version: get the SNES Wizardry I-III Japanese compilation, set it into English mode, and you are golden.

Warriors of the Eternal Sun was good on the Megadrive.

They released Dungeon Master 2 on the MegaCD so that should be playable too.

I think alot of the SSI games were actually released on the C64 disk drive, Treasures of the Savage Frontier etc, but I've heard disk emulation is slow at the moment.

Don't forget Dungeon Master, Ishar and dozens more on the Atari ST and Amiga era.

Betrayal at Krondor has just been ported as a working demo but its progress depends on the XBak port for Linux in general which will then be ported over to the 2X by 'Pickle'.

A friend always used to rant about Secret of Mana on the SNES but i don't think you could choose race etc. Same with Shining in the Darkness and the Shining Force series on the Megadrive. not really DnD either. Warriors of the Eternal Sun is though.

InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
I think alot of the SSI games were actually released on the C64 disk drive, Treasures of the Savage Frontier etc, but I've heard disk emulation is slow at the moment.
You heard wrong.
True drive emulation is around C64 speed with good compatability.
Non True Drive emulation is really fast but not as compatable

pinhead said:
I thought that you could connect a USB keyboard up to the unit but I think that I read that the USB is not powered.
If it's a MK2 (not the first version), then it sure as hell can take a USB keyboard. If it's a MKI, I think that it can too, but I can't say.

(someone should say this :p)

eye of the beholder was released for the sega cd, too. use picodrive and enjoy :D a couple of others, too, like dungeon master if i'm not mistaken

I think Dungeon Master was the best hack and slash dungeon game. Nothing else was quite as absorbing. The atmosphere was excellent. I used to play the Amiga version.

Great game! Everyone should play it. :D

did you ever play part 2,,Dungeon Master: Chaos Strikes Back ...i bought it but never could get past a magical water fall in part 1 so never played it.....

Wizardry 1-3 are on the NES, a 4 substory (sadly not the real wiz4), and 5 is on the SNES,
appleIIe has 1-6
wiz 7 and 8 are on the PC.
The GBC has wiz 1-3 in japanese on one cart, but translations exist, and they are generally better than the NES counterparts.

Eye of the beholder is a great RPG, but i just had too much of a hard time keeping my party alive with all the puzzles, and once you hit cave spiders, and you run out of antidote, your screwed.

wizardry is a great series. i've beaten every one except for the more recent ones 9 and X (iirc) the original wizardry 4 on the apple2e, was a fantastic idea (pretty much, you are the enemy from the first games, and you fight your way up and out.) the 4th game on the SNES is completely different, and probably not as cool. there is a translation that exists however, i think AGTP put it out.

other dungeon crawlers are the chocobo's dungeon series on the PSX, azure dreams, also on the PSX, Taloons quest (dragon quest 4), and there are a few others that are similar.

Dungeon master is a good game. so you should play that too.

fatdad said:
did you ever play part 2,,Dungeon Master: Chaos Strikes Back ...i bought it but never could get past a magical water fall in part 1 so never played it.....

I did play Chaos Strikes Back, but it didn't have the same feel. As far as I could tell it was a bunch of really difficult puzzles. Sadly I couldn't be bothered to play far.

Back