New Pandora Owner - Two problems!

Bendah!

Still Fresh
First problem, and most important: I've owned my Pandora for about 5 days or so now.  I purchased a first edition (256mb) Pandora from my friend.  I goofed up and dropped it on concrete by accident..  The right shoulder button got jammed really good in to the case.  I was able to pull it out, but now the right shoulder button does not function at all.  Is there any way I can repair this myself?

Second problem: Since I dropped the Pandora, Mini Menu has not functioned at all.  When I attempt to load the Mini Menu, nothing happens.  The middle menu button on the Pandora itself ceases to function after attempting to load the Mini Menu and I must manually click the menu button with the stylus.  If I attempt to load the Mini Menu again I get the following message:

"Failed to receive a reply from the session manager
Session manager must be in idle state when requesting a shutdown"

I receive the same message seen above if I attempt to restart my unit using the menu.  In order to resume (somewhat) normal functioning I must do a hard reset using the middle menu button and a quick flip of the power switch to the right.

How might I repair the Mini Menu?

I did a search on this subject and found a topic but feel goofy because I didn't find a fix that I could understand.  I am have never used a Unix based operating system prior to owning a Pandora!

I thought it would be in my best interest to post this topic and have all my needs met in one board.  I hope this isn't an annoyance to the moderators!

I should thank you kindly for any help you may provide!  This seems to be a wonderful community and I look forward to learning a great deal about the Pandora and the XFCE OS that it operates upon!

I also have another quick question - what is a terminal?  Is it like PC dos prompt?  What can I do with it?  How do I use it?  I apologize if this is an extensive issue but my curiousity seeks satisfaction!

Welcome here new User ^_^

"Failed to receive a reply from the session manager
Session manager must be in idle state when requesting a shutdown"
That Problem is solved in new Firmware,i recommend you to reflash or Upgrade System with activated Wlan Connetion.

But EvilDragon wrote somewhere that he better recommend to flash the Unit with the new Firmware ;)

I also have another quick question - what is a terminal?  Is it like PC dos prompt?  What can I do with it?  How do I use it?  I apologize if this is an extensive issue but my curiousity seeks satisfaction!
A Terminal is for executing Software with and without GUI and for much important Things in Linux.

With a Terminal can you executing Software with the Command SUDO and then have you more rights to change some important Things.

Ah i forgot,here is the Link to the newest Firmware:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12490-superzaxxon-v54-final-has-been-released/

Last edited by a moderator:
The shoulder button problem first - assuming the shoulder button physically sits in the right position and can be moved slightly (it's not jammed up against anything), it unfortunately sounds like you've damaged the actual switch on the motherboard.

If you're handy with a screwdriver, you can take the bottom off the unit and inspect the motherboard from there - shouldn't need to disassemble it any further. Just watch you don't lose the power switch cover. Five screws, one under the battery. Check out ED's disassembly video on youtube if you want to see what you're doing before you do it.

Of course, if you don't feel confident enough to do that, then it's a matter of RMAing it back to ED.

As for the Minimenu problem, simplest way to fix misbehaving internal software is to reflash, but I'd fix the first problem first - it may have something to do with minimenu not loading.

Or rather, not so much RMA (which is a return to the seller of a unit that was faulty from the beginning) as a repair issue, right?

But it does indeed sound as if you've knocked the switch off the motherboard. That is a repair deal, but a fairly simple one. Off to ED with it :)

Not sure if you can reflash with a non functional right button.

You have to hold in the R button to get to the flash menu iirc.

So try fixing the R button first.

A Terminal is more or less how you use a computer without a fancy GUI (graphics.) ie: Analagous to DOS prompt as you say. Its the system that underlies the graphical one. Most users day to day don't ever need to see it -- but if you want to become a power user, or tinkerer, or get under the hood of the car, you'll end up messing with the terminal.. which is where all the real power is. But if you just want to use the machine day to day, play games, browse the web etc, you won't need to ever see the Terminal.

jeff

Back