New Pandora owner with some questions.

Tec-S

Still Fresh
I'm loving the device so far, but that's for another topic. There's a couple of small problems I'm having.

First off, the Shift key is awkward, especially when it comes to capital letters like S or W. I know that the L button works as a Shift key as well, but that feels more awkward to me when it comes to typing. D: What I'd really like to do is have the Shift key 'stick' when it's pressed, like the Fn key. Turning on Sticky Keys helps, but it keeps disabling itself after a while. Is there some fix to this so that it's perma-on?

Secondly, I've fiddled a bit with overclocking the Pandora. It's been a while since I was on the boards, but I remember someone saying you could make it so that the max clock speed was set to a certain value on boot. Is this actually possible, and if so, how do I do it?

Lastly, I've been staying away from the mail client because it apparently stores things on the NAND, and that's apparently bad. Has this been fixed, or do I need to look for a replacement mail client?

...I think that's it. I'm really new to Linux, so it's been an interesting experience so far. OP Team, thank you for making this device! :D (and many thanks in advance to anyone with advice for this newbie.)

Secondly, I've fiddled a bit with overclocking the Pandora. It's been a while since I was on the boards, but I remember someone saying you could make it so that the max clock speed was set to a certain value on boot. Is this actually possible, and if so, how do I do it?

Lastly, I've been staying away from the mail client because it apparently stores things on the NAND, and that's apparently bad. Has this been fixed, or do I need to look for a replacement mail client?

Overclocking beyond the stock limit provided was originally by using a modified script by jdBye but I think the new HF5 beta's have implemented a GUI system for making such choice as boot up clock speeds etc. I'm still of HF4 for now until I RMA this unit, so cant say for sure.

With regards claws-mail, a PND was made by Sebt3 that stores to the SD card instead, which is here ( http://sebt3.openpandora.org/pnd/claw-mail.pnd ) but I cant for the life of me re-find the terminal commands required to remove the firmware version. Anyone?

Pidgin is also in PND form ( http://sebt3.openpandora.org/pnd/pidgin.pnd ) but its removal instructions from the NAND are here http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56882-pnds-of-nand-applications-was-pidgin/page__view__findpost__p__920537

Last edited by a moderator:
TO alter CPU settings:-

If you are using minimenu goto ALL > CPU Settings.

In XFCE goto Settings > CPU Settings.

BE careful though. And don't set the default too high.

Excellent, that's solved two of the problems. The newest firmware seems to have removed ClawsMail and Pidgin (as far as I can tell; don't feel like file system spelunking right now) but I have the PNDs, which are working nicely.

The Sticky Keys option is still coming unstuck, though. I'm starting to get used to holding L for the Shift key, but it's still a bit awkward. =( I'm used to the way the iPhone does it. Does anyone know what might be switching the option off? It's on when the Pandora boots, but after a few minutes I get a message saying it's disabled. Same thing for re-enabling it; it shuts off after a while unless I'm using the keyboard.

Oh, and does anyone have advice on a battery that tops out at about 80%? I've seen a few posts about cutting the battery label, but I'm worried about going at it without knowing where I should be cutting. D:

Oh, and does anyone have advice on a battery that tops out at about 80%? I've seen a few posts about cutting the battery label, but I'm worried about going at it without knowing where I should be cutting. D:
Try to re-seat the battery, as described in the Quick Start Guide that was included with the unit, first. That may do the trick.

Try to re-seat the battery, as described in the Quick Start Guide that was included with the unit, first. That may do the trick.
Giving that a shot now. I just have to wait for it to charge enough... :b

EDIT: No luck. =( It's stuck at 80%. Nothing I do seems to make much of a difference. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

EDIT: No luck. =( It's stuck at 80%. Nothing I do seems to make much of a difference. Any suggestions?
Take it out the device for 5-10 minutes? that seems to solve a few problems

Take it out the device for 5-10 minutes? that seems to solve a few problems
That's not working either... mostly. It's stuck at 85% now! That's an improvement, right? ...right? =(

You aren't the only person who's had issues with it stuck at about 80%. The last guy who mentioned it had two Pandoras and two batteries, and the one consistently charged to just 82% regardless of which Pandora it was in. No solution has been found. It may simply be a bad battery and you'll have to ask for an RMA on it.

I think I'll just wait on the RMA for now. I noticed a few things that I'm tossing out there as a last resort - I love my Pandora too much to wait on a new battery. XD The charging light doesn't light up when it's plugged in, but the battery does charge... and the battery cover is flush on one side but slightly pushed out on the other, where the contacts are. It's hard to describe, but if you grip the contacts side, it pushes in and squeaks a little bit. I don't know if that's normal or not. D:

Also, can some kind soul help me figure out why the Sticky Keys are coming unstuck? Seems like there's a timeout on it, so if I could change that... but I don't even know where to begin looking.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions, by the way!

Back