New Pandora Won't Boot?

Hi folks, I received my Pandora yesterday, but it doesn't seem to actually boot. It just gives the black screen shown in the attached picture. I thought I might've screwed it up during the first boot process, so I tried reflashing with SuperZaxxon. However, regardless of how long I hold the R button (up to a minute) with either or both of the battery and AC adapter plugged in, the screen stays blank and the only the power light turns on.

Given the little white line near the top and center (that appears to be a line, not dead pixels), and how the top of the case was popped out when it arrived, I'm wondering if it wasn't damaged during transport?

Any recommendations on fixing this? I've waited two years for this replacement after my first shorted out on its own, and I'd rather not wait two more...

blank_screen.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It was popped out?

Ouch, that shouldn't be the case!

Was the package damaged when it arrived?

When it's switched on and you insert an SD Card, does the left light flicker?

It was popped out, like how you see it in the videos where you demonstrate replacing the screen, except that someone had started from the top, while the screws were still in.

The package itself didn't appear externally damaged when it arrived.

Turning it on again to check the light: the leftmost green SD light did indeed flicker. Also, this time, the rightmost red light (the charging light?) turned on for the first time when I inserted the battery and power cord to test. Maybe that's because this was the first time I wasn't actively trying to reflash it while turning it on.

I left it on and I think the first-boot config just completed. The colors. Ohh the colors. It's flickering like hell.

Looks like the transport really was pretty rough... the LCD Cable must've popped out on one end. Hopefully, not the end in the top part (as this would mean a lot of assembly work).

You could do a quick check yourself:

Remove the back from the unit (it's just the five screws) and check if the LCD cable is properly inserted (it's on the top right).

No need to remove the PCB or anything.

Open the clip (carefully), insert it as much as possible (check that it's properly aligned as well) and close the clip.

If it popped out there, this should fix it.

If it popped out in the top lid, there's more assembly needed :/

The bottom one looks fine, see attached. :(

Also, I don't know which bear you hired to screw those screws in, but I had to tape my screwdriver to a wrench to get enough torque to turn the larger two holding the front of the case together. Maybe hire a smaller bear next time?

Finally, thanks for your help ED. Fastest customer service turn around time, ever. :)

dscf7609.jpg

Yeah... that looks okay. Damn.

Then it probably popped out in the upper area.

If you're afraid to do it yourself, I can do it for you.

Or Link, if you're living in US.

BTW: That bear is a girl ;)

Well, I have a local hackerspace to turn to and can probably pay one of them for work with a case of beer. I'll send them the video of you demoing the LCD cable change and see if I can't get any takers. If not, I'll probably send it to Link (yay non-international shipping!).

Also, your girl-bear rocks.

Looks like it came from the UK, and somehow got here in 3 - 4 days. :)

It has the latest firmware.

Back