New Photo From Mweston... Wifi!

This was not something I planned on being public (not that it matters in the slightest). I considered it mundane so did not expect people to be interested.

If I had planned on doing a nice photo I would have not taken it 2 hours after I should have gone to bed ;) .

Please note that I am running all this on my old dev board and it does not really have a wireless antenna to speak off (unlike the proper units). I just have a length of cable attached for testing (WiFi also connects without anything connected to the antenna socket but it's just a tad painful to use ;) ). It is very very far away from the proper setup in later units.

The main reason for the photo was to show the latest NetworkManager 0.7.1.997 running on the device. My reason for getting that version running was so that we have near seamless WiFi and 3G stick support in the same GUI. It may still need the odd tweak or 2 but it's very solid so far.

For the record the details of the environment in the photo are as follows:

• NetworkManger 0.7.1.997
• Desktop Env. is XFCE 4.6.1 (I have been adding support for this to OpenEmbedded as a personal pet project). - It has a lot of things turned off right now (i.e. no menu panel plugin) as I am tweaking some things. XFCE is starting to look very nice on the Pandora in the 4.6.* versions.
• Firefox in the tray is 3.5.2 built from OpenEmbedded.
• WiFi driver is the open source WL12xx driver with our Pandora specific patches - Those patches have already been sent upstream for review and eventual inclusion in the mainline Linux kernel.
• Kernel is our 2.6.27 based kernel from git.openpandora.org not the 2.6.31 linux-omap kernel I am running in some other images that may be floating about.

If people really want to see the amount of crud on my desk I don't see any problem in linking to the zip of the images I sent to Mike last night but remember that these are not exactly PR quality shots, they are dusty, half asleep, shots. http://djwillis.openpandora.org/screenshots.zip

The IP I was pinging was just Google so nothing sensitive.

As for support, my wireless lan is WPA2 PSK but I have also had it going with many combinations including WPA2 Enterprise (as long as you have all the supporting packages).

DJWillis said:
This was not something I planned on being public (not that it matters in the slightest). I considered it mundane so did not expect people to be interested.

At this point we (the community) are interested in any fart that is associated with the pandora ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This just keeps evolving into awesomeness! Now I just need to get a cheap wifi router to my room and my PC, PS3 and Pandora will have t3h intarwebs! Though my phone shows a "print server [hex numbers]" network, it probably won't do me any good.

man you guys are spoiling me/us today with pictures of the pandora. i ****ing love pictures! :D
thanks djwillis, hope you don't mind me putting these up on the photo album :)

Bosbeetle said:
dflemstr said:

With Flash.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Flash ahaaaaaaaaaaaaa saviour of the universe ... didnt think of queen for a long time

Epic Fail!!!!!!, the Queen Song is the soundtrack of "Flash Gordon" this guy of the Picture is the other Flash "The Flash"..

Ok: back to topic: its cool that the Wlan manager are running, whats about aircrack? dos it work whit the wlan of the pandora?

good job!!! :lol:

matzesu said:
Ok, i hafnt known about this agree, sorry..
I'm not actually sure if we're not supposed to talk about it, we'll wait for other people to chime in. It's been a while since we've had a thread about it and packet injection, etc.

matzesu said:
Bosbeetle said:
dflemstr said:

With Flash.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Flash ahaaaaaaaaaaaaa saviour of the universe ... didnt think of queen for a long time

Epic Fail!!!!!!, the Queen Song is the soundtrack of "Flash Gordon" this guy of the Picture is the other Flash "The Flash"..

Ok: back to topic: its cool that the Wlan manager are running, whats about aircrack? dos it work whit the wlan of the pandora?

good job!!! :lol:

Oops Flash Gordon is the only one I know.

I'm wondering... and this might be a dumb question but I'm not a Linux user...
Will I be able to read files from my QNAP NAS with the Pandora? It behaves like just another computer that shares files in my windows network eventhough the NAS itself runs Linux iirc

I had to post again after DJWillis' post. NetworkManager is the best solution and I'm so glad it's coming to Pandora, will it run in all desktop environments not just XFCE? Which brings me on to my other point. So glad that XFCE is working even better than usual - it's amazing what you whizzes can squeeze out of the hardware.

A massive thank-you to all involved.

Eight Bit said:
Will I be able to read files from my QNAP NAS with the Pandora? It behaves like just another computer that shares files in my windows network eventhough the NAS itself runs Linux iirc

Technically there is no reason that would not just work. I have used remove SMB and NFS shares in testing often.

I am still playing with some ideas to get more integrated remote file system support into the GUI, playing with Gigolo at the moment as part of the XFCE messing around and also been looking at fuseSMB (I'll state again, the XFCE stuff is for my own amusement and not nessessary the default Pandora windowing setup).

Bosbeetle said:
At this point we (the community) are interested in any fart that is associated with the pandora ;)

This is no fart, this is a colossal ripper. Working wifi drivers were *the* last missing piece before assembly.

As for remote networking, one of the first things I'm going to do when I unbox my pandora after setting up the network and dicking around with Firefox for a few minutes is set up my home NFS shares and try playing some video over Wifi.

That will work for a while until some clever fellow manages to get a mythtvfrontend working. Looking forward to getting my UM/HTPC going in two months(tm).

DJWillis said:
Eight Bit said:

Technically there is no reason that would not just work. I have used remove SMB and NFS shares in testing often.

I am still playing with some ideas to get more integrated remote file system support into the GUI, playing with Gigolo at the moment as part of the XFCE messing around and also been looking at fuseSMB (I'll state again, the XFCE stuff is for my own amusement and not nessessary the default Pandora windowing setup).

Sweet! Thanks for your answer :) This would make watching anime's in bed while my wife is reading a book very easy :D
*Hides under the covers*

DJWillis said:

If I had planned on doing a nice photo I would have not taken it 2 hours after I should have gone to bed ;) .

Please note that I am running all this on my old dev board and it does not really have a wireless antenna to speak off (unlike the proper units). I just have a length of cable attached for testing (WiFi also connects without anything connected to the antenna socket but it's just a tad painful to use ;) ). It is very very far away from the proper setup in later units.

The main reason for the photo was to show the latest NetworkManager 0.7.1.997 running on the device. My reason for getting that version running was so that we have near seamless WiFi and 3G stick support in the same GUI. It may still need the odd tweak or 2 but it's very solid so far.

For the record the details of the environment in the photo are as follows:

• NetworkManger 0.7.1.997
• Desktop Env. is XFCE 4.6.1 (I have been adding support for this to OpenEmbedded as a personal pet project). - It has a lot of things turned off right now (i.e. no menu panel plugin) as I am tweaking some things. XFCE is starting to look very nice on the Pandora in the 4.6.* versions.
• Firefox in the tray is 3.5.2 built from OpenEmbedded.
• WiFi driver is the open source WL12xx driver with our Pandora specific patches - Those patches have already been sent upstream for review and eventual inclusion in the mainline Linux kernel.
• Kernel is our 2.6.27 based kernel from git.openpandora.org not the 2.6.31 linux-omap kernel I am running in some other images that may be floating about.

If people really want to see the amount of crud on my desk I don't see any problem in linking to the zip of the images I sent to Mike last night but remember that these are not exactly PR quality shots, they are dusty, half asleep, shots. http://djwillis.openpandora.org/screenshots.zip

The IP I was pinging was just Google so nothing sensitive.

As for support, my wireless lan is WPA2 PSK but I have also had it going with many combinations including WPA2 Enterprise (as long as you have all the supporting packages).

That's an impressive feat, IMHO. (The WiFi and the xfce) To tell you the truth, I'm more excited about the xfce than the WiFi. I realize that it might not be one of the standard DE's on the Pandora, but if you have it up for download somewhere, I'll download it as soon as I can.

By the way, I haven't had too much luck in my searches, but do you know any easy way to change the color of the xfce panels and windows? I've been wanting to use xfce to try to make something somewhat like the Altimit OS environment that was featured in the original .hack games. (Transparent panels, Black buttons, Possibly even animated icons if I find an easy way to do that, etc.)

-God Ginrai

Back