New Port : Egoboo2x

You not only saved the day by the gpu940 for my MVS/CPS1/CPS2 project, you also got me compiling psx4all with it for kicks again! :) ...Expect some good help from all around for gpu940! Excellent work!

you mean... psx4gp2x, using 3D-acceleration?? whennn?? WWHHEENN??? :ph34r:

*almost crying*

It's not 3D-Acceleration. It's a software implementation of a 3D API.

= Unai may has less work on his new gpu core ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems really great. Runs fairly smooth too. And even on lower clock speed settings (choppier, but I've played games through on my PC that were worse). Its the first thing that I've put on the Gp2x that has incited my little brother to steal my gp2x. A great effort and wonderful proof of concept - that also happens to be a cool game too!

It would be nice to see it optimized enough that it required little over-clocking... Battery life hasn't been too bad on my 2100mAh cells, though they got a bit hot, which is a bit worrying. It is a sort of 3d acceleration, its just using a general purpose cpu instead of a graphical specific 'gpu'; hence gpu940 ?? ... Psx on gp2x with gpu940, sounds good to me! Though not getting my hopes up too much...

Thanks again.

Just put it on my Sd card and played for a while, and it's pretty good. The controls are a little complex but that's not a problem and it did freeze on me once but other than that I liked it a lot. Keep up the good work!

So wait, does this mean we'll be able to get other OpenGL games on the GP2X finally? That would be freakin awesome!

Yes, but a select few.

As rixed said in the beginning:

This is not because Egoboo was ported to the GP2X using
this library that any openGl app can be ported. Egoboo,
although visually more impressive than the average open
source game, was coded with performances in mind from the
start. This is not true, by far, of all open source games.
Please keep in mind if you try to port other games that it
will requires some works, cutting off features and
rewriting some code.

A lot of hard work has gone into this game, there's not going to be a flood of complex OpenGL games.

my gosh :)

just tried it for a few minutes in the office, but this is way nice! and it looks good even without the lighting effects. amazing.

i dont like 3d games a lot, especially if they are 3d just for the sake of beeing 3d, but i think this plays nice.

where to donate?

Great work, glad that this will open the road for new projects.
Bug? I don't know, but I will try it again and see if it happens:
I played it for a few minutes to the moment you find that big green cube and then I used some key combination to quit the game (start+select mostly) and got thrown back to gmenu2x, now I tried using the video player and it was not working properly, so I thought the movie I was playing might be the reason, I quit the movie player and ran NeoGeo which also looked like scrambled, so switched the unit off and on, everything worked great like it used to. Am using firmware 2.0 on MK2 unit running through the official PSU, the card am using is a 150x 4GB A-Data SD card.
Again am not sure if it was a once in a lifetime failure, will try again today and post if same thing happened.

Edit:
Confirmed:
Video player: doesn't show the image at all, video plays with sound but the image is simply not there. I can still see the controls if I press Y, and quitting back and forth doesn't solve the problem
NeoGeo: Emulator and games work perfectly, but the frontend is totally missed up, starting with the green screen and to the rom selection screen, starting a rom and quitting back to the frontend doesn't solve the problem.
I believe it is a matter of resetting the registers of the the 940, but wait... does NeoGeo frontend uses the 940?!!

I played it for a few minutes (...) then I used some key combination to quit the game (start+select mostly) and got thrown back to gmenu2x, now I tried using the video player and it was not working properly, (...)

This is the same old bug that already affected the demo 'code alone' : apps running after suffer slowdown or random behaviour.

It was already reported during the beta test, that's why I added the stop940 program, that's supposed to halt the 940.

Apaprently it's not working, or it's not enought to stop the 940.

I will have to seriously look after this bug. If someone has a hint, please help me because I've none for now.

Edit : just read your edit. Mplayer and neogeo emu might be two different bugs : mplayer is probably affected by the 940 settings (although I don't know what setting I changed, perhaps the interrupt vector ? Yes, perhaps), while neogeo, if it's not using the 940, might be affected by the video settings (gpu940 uses YUV with an OSD, and I let gp2xmenu to reset the video mode, but perhaps it's not reseting everything ?)

where to donate?

down the street, where there live some poors... ;)

It would be nice to see it optimized enough that it required little over-clocking...

Yes. I will probably try to lower the impact of the opengl lib on the 920, so that the 920 (at least) could stay a 200MHz (or lower).
There is a huge amount of unnecessary work on the 920 : convertion between float and fixed values, glBegin/End surplus of work...

it seems like the viewable area of the game is larger than the actual screen is, but only by a little bit. I noticed that the adventurer seems to spawn just to the left of where you can see.

It's right, I had to scale down many things (texts, overlays, etc). Camera positionning was tricky so I left it mostly untouched.
Another instance of the same bug is that when you are close from the level border, the camera stops following your character.

Yet, it should no be hard to have the camera farther away from the characters at start. Will probably change it.

tookd 11 minutes here, bit long but not bad.
Didn't play it yet, through its sounds very nice, i will report tomorrow :)

Out of curiosity how long did it take everyone to transfer this thing to SD? Mines got 5 mins remaining but it has been going on for 105mins soo not funny :(
Mine took 44 mins!!...still havent played it yet though. Although it looks nice.
Yeah mine took over an hour on a new 2G card - guess it's a slow one (7dayshop 14 quid one).

Windows told me over an hour to copy!
When i booted Linux, with same card reader and 2Gb card, took me less than 10mn

This is an awesome release for the GP2X, proving that there is a lot of hope for the 2nd CPU to be used in productive and interesting ways ..

The question is, how can one contribute to gpu940/egoboo2x and push features forward? rixed you've done a great job on this port - do you have any sort of organized idea what should happen next to make things smoother/better? Got some clues about things to be done in the gpu940 lib and/or egoboo2x to push the lib further so that we get some great new features on the 940?

Great work, anyway.. I for one am pimping this far and wide, especially to all the folks who sniffed at the gp2x in moderate disgust just because there were no 'real' 3D games around for it .. this combined with the payback demo should be enough to show people what the gp2x is really all about, and I sure hope there are ways that egoboo2x/gpu940 can be pushed forward in complementary ways that make even new features available for OpenGL/3D game coders in the coming months .. Well done mate! :]

Out of curiosity how long did it take everyone to transfer this thing to SD? Mines got 5 mins remaining but it has been going on for 105mins soo not funny :(
Mine took 44 mins!!...still havent played it yet though. Although it looks nice.
Yeah mine took over an hour on a new 2G card - guess it's a slow one (7dayshop 14 quid one).

Windows told me over an hour to copy!
When i booted Linux, with same card reader and 2Gb card, took me less than 10mn

Will there be a way to put all the files in some kind of "container" Format which can be used directly by the game? (wink to the devs ;) ) I remember well on the good old Quake-engine "pak"-formats... :)
Sadly, many GP2X games have this problem with zillions of files (sokoban...) or uncompressed file-formats (.bmp, .wav...)

Back