New To The Gp32 Community

I was under the impression that its just the chip that operates the little usb port on the side of the unit has been changed, so it now no longer supports usb networking... I pretty sure the ext port has the same function (i.e. the BoB just breaks out the usb connector from the ext port), and usb devices work off the bob (of course).

Anyway, welcome to the community. I look forward to seeing your developments... of course, as a F100 owner I would love you to work on this (a dpad mod would be good!), but if you are planning on buying new, only F200s are made now. Still, as both units are almost identical, I hope anything you work on can be easily cross compatible!

oh, and check out: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Main_Page if you haven't already

The F200 has the same usb host through the ext port as the F100 does. Ignore anyone who says it doesn't, because they're talking out of their arse and they actually mean the mini usb doesn't support usb networking anymore (which is something completely different and still uses the mini usb as a slave device).

pvp_lostknight said:
so the usb port (slave) of the gp2x isnt too complient with protocols? y does that affect the EXT port which is using usb port (host) to connect to usb client devices.

EDIT
ok totally confused now. for the f200, are you talking about the slave port usb thats having problems being with usb storage or are you talking about the EXT port with EXT cradle and hooking up a usb flash drive that doesnt work?
Maybe this will help

Both the F100 and the F200 have the EXT port with the same USB host lines. You can use sprites mod like you said earlier to route something inside the case. (Your big problem here is going to be power, will the gp2x be able to drive enough current to power a hdd? Unless you route a 5V supply from somwhere else, which is what the BOB/Cradle does)

The usb slave port is different between the F100 and F200. The F100 has a netchip, whereas the F200 has a card reader chip. The F100 netchip would give it network ability so you can run things such as Samba, Telnet, basically anything that needs network. The F200 chip just acts a card reader for the SD card in the SD slot, many see this as complete waste.

So you can see the USB slave and the USB host are completly different and are not related to each other in anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
finty said:
Didn't acid mods do a Snes controller mod gor the GP32?

That was pretty cool...
Yes, if I remember rightly it was done by foo Foo :)

Pickle said:
pvp_lostknight said:
so the usb port (slave) of the gp2x isnt too complient with protocols? y does that affect the EXT port which is using usb port (host) to connect to usb client devices.

EDIT
ok totally confused now. for the f200, are you talking about the slave port usb thats having problems being with usb storage or are you talking about the EXT port with EXT cradle and hooking up a usb flash drive that doesnt work?
Maybe this will help

Both the F100 and the F200 have the EXT port with the same USB host lines. You can use sprites mod like you said earlier to route something inside the case. (Your big problem here is going to be power, will the gp2x be able to drive enough current to power a hdd? Unless you route a 5V supply from somwhere else, which is what the BOB/Cradle does)

The usb slave port is different between the F100 and F200. The F100 has a netchip, whereas the F200 has a card reader chip. The F100 netchip would give it network ability so you can run things such as Samba, Telnet, basically anything that needs network. The F200 chip just acts a card reader for the SD card in the SD slot, many see this as complete waste.

So you can see the USB slave and the USB host are completly different and are not related to each other in anyway.

see thats exactly what i wanted to hear. i thought when people were talking about usb networking, it was about the usb host port so i got alittle confused. but has it been verified that you can launch programs from the EXT port via EXT cradle hooked up to a usb mass storage for the f200?

yes am did release a gp32 to snes controller mod.

pvp_lostknight said:
see thats exactly what i wanted to hear. i thought when people were talking about usb networking, it was about the usb host port so i got alittle confused. but has it been verified that you can launch programs from the EXT port via EXT cradle hooked up to a usb mass storage for the f200?

yes am did release a gp32 to snes controller mod.
I was hoping someone might respond with a F200. It does work with a F100, i cant see it not working on a F200.

thats what im thinking too because if it works on f100 and they both have the same hardware other than the touchscreen,usb slave chip and dpad it should work. but i need to be absolutely sure that someone with a f200 has done it before i tell the team to buy one. what concerns me is that the usb host port is 1.0 which is what 12mbps transfer rate.

Isn't there also a difference between the hardware for the sound? That's the culprit for the sampling frequency incompatibilities in a few of the programs, when running in the F-200, right? :huh:

EDIT: Also, the F-200 no longer has the battery LED.

In short...all the differences that was just listed are the only differences between the too.

Craigx, MWeston and ED could confirm the current thought of the F200 more Accurately.

*.......whats for them to pop up........

But yeah it should work

Manjuu said:
Isn't there also a difference between the hardware for the sound? That's the culprit for the sampling frequency incompatibilities in a few of the programs, when running in the F-200, right? :huh:

The hardware could be a newer version of the mp2520..?
Or it could be an update to the drivers (in 4.0.0) that's caused the 'issue'...

well my question is is it worth it to get a f200 or f100? i mean other than usb slave networking/ts/dpad is it worth it to go with the newer f200. thats the debate most ppl over at the psp forums were having. current psp owners love their psp and dont really want to upgrade to a slimmer version with tvout. new comers usually want the newest thing.

pvp_lostknight said:
well my question is is it worth it to get a f200 or f100? i mean other than usb slave networking/ts/dpad is it worth it to go with the newer f200. thats the debate most ppl over at the psp forums were having. current psp owners love their psp and dont really want to upgrade to a slimmer version with tvout. new comers usually want the newest thing.
You could get a F100 cheaper than F200. Other than the issues you know, I think theres any difference.

It would be nice to see some new modding with the F200, no one has really done anything with it.

pvp_lostknight said:
yea im shocked for something being so open like this theres really no hardware mods done
Well there more to the story. First many users like myself already have a F100, just for the touchscreen and dpad im not going to get a F200.

Plus theres is the Pandora. This is handheld being dev's by some the community. Its basically going to blow away anything the GP32 and GP2X can do. Many are waiting for this, first run expected some time this summer.
Personally thats what im waiting for, until then ive live happily with my F100.

Sorry for digging up an already old thread. I'm just curious if anything serious has happened in the meanwhile.

My 2 cents on the story:

I've opened up my F200 a few times and I think an internal hdd is not possible without serious case modding. It simply won't fit. But I wonder if there's any use for it, unless you use a 80Gb hdd or something. I mean, with SD cards of 8 and 16Gb becoming available at low prices, I think it's far more interesting to install an internal 16Gb SD card, keeping the SD slot available and working.

I've also been looking at the PSP battery because I wanted to install it in the battery room without any case modding, but it would only be possible with certain fake batteries when you dismantle them. But I'm still looking around for suitable batteries, maybe a camera model would fit better. The point is, as soon as you dismantle a battery you can't use the original charger anymore so it would only work with the proposed internal charging mod. So if anyone on am has come up with something usable, it would be nice.

Another interesting "mounting point" for mods would be the (unused?) pins on the GPIO, the chip could be used to drive several "unsupported" peripherals. What I'm mainly thinking about is using an universal wifi chip, like the ones used in PSP/DS or in USB sticks and install them internally in the 2x. And connect it on the i/o pins, because anything else in the 2x seems to be designed NOT to operate wifi components.

Back