Release New Website 1.0

I might be able to solve the resolution complaints and the lack of forum/repo integration in one fell swoop. Seems logical to shove a sidebar on the right-hand side that includes actual content from both of those sources.

But, again, I don't know how this little marketing site is going to tie in with any Pandora content portal that comes to life.

On "marketese", see How Users Read on the Web.

Also, this website doesn't have to be fancy, neither the layout nor the content. The first though of someone who wants to see something fancy is not usually "Hey, I think I will look at some random open handheld's website for some entertainment!". The exception are most people here, who already know most things about the Pandora(1GHz), and visit the website with the intention to judge about it, while actual users will want to visit the website with the intention to get information about the Pandora. More about this: Voodoo Usability.

More than 10 seconds, and you break the flow. Users will often leave the site rather than trying to regain the groove once they've started thinking about other things.

10 seconds is also the time users typically allocate to examining a page before deciding that it's so bad that they're going to leave.
Source: Powers of 10: Time Scales in User Experience

If the way the site looks causes it to load very slowly on slow connections, then then that's a bad thing, especially if the initial loading takes a long time. Even if you absolutely do want to ignore the Fallacies of Distributed Computing (Wikipedia) in web design, then the current situation still is not optimal even for fast connections. I probably don't have to tell you, but if I'm not mistaken then the most influential things you could do on this site specifically would probably be to use pre-adjusted images (as opposed to CSS transforms), PNG (lossless) optimization programs (such as pngcrunch and/or OptiPNG), and CSS sprites.

(Why I'm linking to alertbox so often? Becasue Jacob Nielsen is well-renowned for his knowledge and ability in the field of usability, and consequently his "alertbox" is a good source of information.)

--

In short, I currently consider this website broken mainly because it doesn't degrade well enough, because the content is too marketese, and because it's too much like an interactive print advertising (as opposed to a fluid, responsive, and informative mini-library).

I have more negative feedback, but the other most notable things so far have been noted by others already.

Last edited by a moderator:
The page does definitly take toooooo long to load

[random ranting that can be ignored]

Integrate a hub with links to all essential things like repo, wiki, forums, firmware-git, etc. I'd consider this essential
Please don't do that - without the direct connection, the community can at least pretend that this website is made by some crazy guy whose just wants to sell Pandoras, and has nothing to do with the real "background" of the Pandora.

I would not want to be held responsible for any of this marketing crap that is annoucend on this thing, that could be called website, but ignores every small usability evolution in the www that was made in the last decade.

[/random ranting that can be ignored]

It looks snazzy. Though yes, the emulator links don't seem to work.

I do agree with notaz's points. The links to the wiki and repo could be painlessly added in the "Open OS & Active Community Forums" section, under the "Community driven development and support" heading.

I also agree with mcobit's request for bringing back the introduction page for the main people behind the Pandora (I understand that you want to keep the front page minimal and that this isn't something that most "Joe customers" would be interested in - but it should be accessible somewhere on the official site if for no other reason than making the Wikipedia article easy to source.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Loading speed is in the process of being addressed. The entire website is contained within a single HTML file, so the initial load is a pretty heavy hit. I'll be deferring the loading of any content not on the initially requested page until after the initial page load.

use pre-adjusted images (as opposed to CSS transforms)

Knew this before we even posted the website here, which is why I adjusted the images a few days ago. My original, original concept was to load screenshots, descriptions and links directly from the Repo and display them on the Pandora screen. Sadly screenshots on the Repo are in a pretty dire state, so the idea didn't really pan out. The CSS transforms were a remnant of this idea.

The site is looking awesome, good work.

For me, I like this enthusiastic "marketing".

I love my Pandora, and it seems honest and informative to me.

The older '600Mz' model can do most of this stuff too.

I'm learning a lot more about what Pandora can do from reading it!

So, thanks for the excellent new web site. I see it links to the boards now, that's good.

There's a typo at the end of the gaming page: "in one for or another."

"You can also, if you really want to torture yourself, emulate Windows." ROTFLMAO :lol:

Now I'm off to buy some Cointreau ← for me, this is perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen!

"You can also, if you really want to torture yourself, emulate Windows." ROTFLMAO :lol:

Now I'm off to buy some Cointreau ← for me, this is perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen!

Some people rage at Craig. But his demeanour and quirkiness have been thoroughly entertaining throughout the years.

Emulating Windows is torture, too. You have to fire up your whole desktop and wait for it to become responsive before you can even begin to start the game you wanted to play. A Wine-with-Qemu-CPU-emulation solution could potentially be much better and faster.

I did find a few slight "inaccuracies" on the new site, but it's okay no need to change them:

Substantially more functionality than a similarly priced Phone

It has different functionality, not exactly 'more': it doesn't have cell radios, gps, compass, gyro, accelerometer, cameras.

It does have full keyboard, gaming controls, elite audio, USB, 2*SD, true linux, free software, great community, and novelty value!

You might want to mention that the keyboard includes all printable ASCII characters, plus some.

That's important for hackers (your main body of customers).

Compared to my N900, I am using the Pandora more, so I guess for me the Pandora's functionality is "more".

Finally what about customer service? Are you a small company? Is this an issue?

... It's all quite pain free!

Bawhahahahaha!! (actually, that has indeed been my experience but I'm not sure everyone will agree!)

Someone might've mentioned it (didn't see on a quick read), but the forum link is almost entirely hidden behind the .overlay div. You see it, but clicking on it requires you to aim for the very top part.

Otherwise, the page is swanky :)

Looks better now, also seems to load faster. Nice :)

But the misleading quotes on the front page remain...

Has anyone mentioned that it`s Samsung S2 not 2S... ( screen size )

Yes, but I forgot that one! As also mentioned, I have reservations about comparing the Pandora to an (albeit critically acclaimed) obsolete phone.

What I find most compelling about 800x480 is that it maps well to 640x480.

The ordering should now work, just to give the first few people who try it a little extra we're going to include 64GB of storage (2*32GB SD cards) and an extra battery.

I just did but the order page is identical and the URL is the same for UK, USA and rest of world, which kinda makes them redundant unless the plan was to use the re-sellers in various countries.

Back