Newbie Questions

AtomicPenguin

Still Fresh
Hello everyone. I just learned about the GP32 and its awesome emulation and development capabilites. This is a great site, thank you all who volunteered your time making this work. Same goes to the talented people who wrote the truckload of emulators out there. I have a couple of potentialy stupid questions, but I would appreciate if somebody would answer them.

1.) I've heard lots of talk about not asking for illegal ROMs, which only makes sense, but is there a way to legaly obtain ROM files? I have a number of 8-bit carts that I'd like to be able to play without a half dozen boxes attached to my TV (being portable helps too).

2.) I've looked at various, mostly out of date news sites that talk about the GPi, a GP32 that folds up like a GBA Sp, and doubles as a cell phone, but most of these web sites were not written in English, or even Engrish. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'd rather wait for the GPi to come out, if it does.

Hello everyone. I just learned about the GP32 and its awesome emulation and development capabilites. This is a great site, thank you all who volunteered your time making this work. Same goes to the talented people who wrote the truckload of emulators out there. I have a couple of potentialy stupid questions, but I would appreciate if somebody would answer them.

1.) I've heard lots of talk about not asking for illegal ROMs, which only makes sense, but is there a way to legaly obtain ROM files? I have a number of 8-bit carts that I'd like to be able to play without a half dozen boxes attached to my TV (being portable helps too).

2.) I've looked at various, mostly out of date news sites that talk about the GPi, a GP32 that folds up like a GBA Sp, and doubles as a cell phone, but most of these web sites were not written in English, or even Engrish. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'd rather wait for the GPi to come out, if it does.
1. Not that I know of. But it's not like the FBI are going to hunt you down for downloading some mere roms.

2. The GPi was announced a long time ago and there has been no news ever since. I think it's safe to say it's dead. Just buy the gp32 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Legal roms..hmmm I think you can get them from www.classicgaming.com. these are pre nes and the copyrights should have expired or something..

I guess the thing I was trying to ask was how to dump the ROMs from my cartriges. Are there any FAQs/Sites on how to do this? I'm pretty sure that the GP32 FAQ didn't mention anything about it.

exactly ive been downloading roms for years and nothing has ever happened its just like downloading games and movies etc etc

If you are that worried, anything pre nes is usually safe otherwise fileplanet would have been shutdown long ago..

I guess the thing I was trying to ask was how to dump the ROMs from my cartriges. Are there any FAQs/Sites on how to do this? I'm pretty sure that the GP32 FAQ didn't mention anything about it.
Download the ones you have and when the evil 'Video Game Police' (<-- yes they exist, it's not just in my mind) breaks down the door just say you dumped them yourself.

That way you'll only have to explain the other 12000 roms you got because you got a little carried away ;)

It's even possible to buy commercial roms from StarROMs, so far only a few Atari games but they just started 3-4 months ago.

I don't support any kind of illegal links on this forum but when I see StarROMs selling Atari games for $2 a time it makes me realise why ROMs are still illegal - there's money still to be made.

go to my site for roms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: Link removed

Please review the board polic...well who am I kidding, didn't we already state the board policy like three times on this thread?

I don't support any kind of illegal links on this forum but when I see StarROMs selling Atari games for $2 a time it makes me realise why ROMs are still illegal - there's money still to be made.
Which isn't that strange, I'd rather pay 2$ for the original Tetris than 50$ for one of the crappy 3D remakes on the latest console.

StarROMs is a great idea: if I could get my favorite classic games for 2$ each I would buy them. My ROM-collection would probably be smaller but if that's what it takes to get the right to play my games I'd go for it (but I DO think I should be entitled to use the games I bought already and still own)

Which isn't that strange, I'd rather pay 2$ for the original Tetris than 50$ for one of the crappy 3D remakes on the latest console.

Unless StarROMs has permission from the publishers who own the games, then what they are doing is far more illegal then those who publish and download ROMs. Just because you pay money for something, doesn't mean it's legal!

Links to StarROMs can be found on the original MAME website, these guys are usually very carefull about/with this kind of information so I figured the site and information would be for real. There have also been articles about StarROMs on numerous emulation websites and general internet newssites.

Interesting. I didn't know there were legal ROM download stores out there (in fact, I had a similiar idea when I was younger, but I was too young to get it off the ground). However...

from http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/1...10/02/starroms/
One big difference between StarROMs and the iTunes Music Store -- StarROMs downloaders aren't restricted in what they can do with the ROM files they buy, because no Digital Rights Management (DRM) is in place.

Does that mean you can legally distribute the ROMs you buy? Or is it just a poor choice of words?

Back