Newbie With A Few Questions, Nothing Earth Shattering Though

Wayne253

Still Fresh
Okay, ordered my Caanoo, should be here any day now, anxious to start playing games on an open platform where it doesn't need a custom firmware to get emulators to work.

Got a 32GB SDHC card and gonna load it up with roms, just need some insight since I'm getting it ready when the Caanoo arrives.

1. I downloaded the starter pack from OpenHandhelds. The starter pack has all the folders set up and ready to go, are these the latest versions of all the emus available?

2. Quick question about Ginge, I'm wanting to run Quake 2 and Cave Story. On the starter pack, Ginge is in the GAME folder, where should I put the files for both those games, should I create a subdirectory and have Ginge point to it when launched?

3. PrBoom question. I have Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom, plus downloaded the wad pack from Open (sweet looking pack btw) do I need to create a subfolder for the wads or just keep them in the root PrBoom folder.

I'll probably think of a few more questions as I go, but this handheld seems like video game rapture in my pocket.

Cheers gang :)

Hi !

1) Yep

2) you can put them anywhere on your SD, launch Ginge, then your games ;)

3) if you look on lostsite, there's a pak with them in the good reps (I don't remember where they must be)

Cool, I got PrBoom working great. Been just playing around now, DrPocketSNES is actually really good and can run all my games sans maybe a couple perfectly.

Only problem I have is the CPS2 emulator not seeing my roms, but that could be me putting them in the wrong directory on accident.

Is it just me or does the Atari 2600 emulator make the roms (such as the music) sound an octave higher. Other than that they play fine.

Oh yeah,

I couldn't get Quake 2 running via Ginge, Cave Story runs excellent though.

That's why I have a spare SD card or two so no worries.

A couple things I notice

HuGo seems quite slow on anything I try to play, I tried overclocking, disabling vsync, etc, still a bit slow. Looks like it'll be a sound-less emulator untill a newer optimized version comes out....no SuperGrafx emulation on it..kind of a bummer, but no dealbreaker. Any other thoughts on optimizing?

Whoever did DrPocketSNES did a fine job, other than Yoshi's Island and StarFox, this emu runs like a champ. I dig it. I've even had good luck with Super Metroid.

OhBoy plays pretty sweet, button configuration seems a bit weird, but not bad. Nice to jam on some old classics I own but are sitting in a storage locker.

Now for my minor problem.

Is there a way I can remap the buttons on Cave Story when using Ginge? Seems the jump and fire buttons are a little backwards.

Back