Newsletter Received.

The preorders should have a reasonable limit from the start. You know you're going to see middlemen putting in orders of 20-60. This thing will sell out in a few hours and a lot of loyalists will be pissed. I would suggest an initial limit of 2 per customer. If after 48-96 hours, there is a lot of quantity left, open up the flood gates for the middlemen. This baby is going to be a top 5 item on eBay during xmas.

Please release details of the exact time the preorders go live by Sept 29th. Is the preorder site going to handle the amount of traffic we will generate?

Craig isn't withholding any time/date details (see post 135). He's also well aware that people want to bulk buy (see post 128), and he intends to make it fair for everyone. You only have to scroll up a little bit. ;)

We should host the preorders on woot.com, their servers never fail. :p
I like the idea of limited orders to 2 for the first 48 hours, but why not one?
I mean i think its fairer to deny the order of someone who already has a pandora than someone who doesnt, at least for the first day or two.

I hate to be a whiner, but that's in the middle of the work/school day for most Americans, and considering our country is currently the one with the most people interested in the product, that's a bit of a crappy situation, IMO. :(

CronoTriggerfan said:
I hate to be a whiner, but that's in the middle of the work/school day for most Americans, and considering our country is currently the one with the most people interested in the product, that's a bit of a crappy situation, IMO. :(
Hang on, you can't possibly be complaining about orders opening in the middle of a business day. Can you?

If you're stuck in the classroom/boardroom, then surely all the other Americans will be too? :p Where there's a will, there's a way.

Last edited by a moderator:
CronoTriggerfan said:
... and considering our country is currently the one with the most people interested

I respectfully disagree (This poll is actually proving useful!)
The USA makes up less than a third of those that have expressed interest. Even all of North America (including Canada and Mexico) only accounts for 40%.
Europe, on the other hand, where it will be the afternoon at 2pm GMT, optimal buying time, accounts for 52% of the apparent market. That's probably a little low since it most likely doesn't include a lot of German or Spanish only speakers that visit their own respective boards, and not this one.
2PM GMT is perfectly reasonable for the territories which currently has the most people interested, and that's not the US :p

I swear, sometimes I wish I was a psychologist or a sociologist. Either *ologist could write a hell of a paper on "Distortions of perceived reality in the echo chamber of a handheld gaming device forum". I'd be famous in the *ology field.

I promise you, the Pandora is not going to sell out in a matter of hours.

It does not make any difference what time the pre-orders open up, or how many waring email you get before hand. It does not matter what time zone you're in. If you can get to a computer any time on or about September 30th, you'll be fine.

Any specific details you need to know will be made clear before hand.

Stan, notice how I said COUNTRY, not continent. All this "globalization" stuff's a buncha shit. :) From a country-by-country basis, America makes up more of the market for Pandora than any other on the poll. I'm not advocating the current time being changed, I'm just saying that my original thesis still holds true.

Chip said:
I suddenly wish I had enough money to buy the entire first batch at once just to prove you wrong. :p

CronoTriggerfan said:
Normally I wouldn't suggest this, but just do what a lot of people do and fake being sick that day. Sure, most of the time it makes you look like a loathesome and detestable person, but this isn't just the release of whatever version of Guitar Band Revolution they're up to.

Also, all Pandora sales should now go towards getting Chip a Ph.D. and Medical degree.

CyruzDraxs said:
Chip said:
I suddenly wish I had enough money to buy the entire first batch at once just to prove you wrong. :p
I was just thinking. There is no way he can be sure of his claim.

Though it does make me wonder... Even though Craig said that the next batch will be released next year, if the entire first batch is bought up within the first week of preorders being opened, could he order a second batch and have it produced and ready before New Years'?

Gilrad said:
Though it does make me wonder... Even though Craig said that the next batch will be released next year, if the entire first batch is bought up within the first week of preorders being opened, could he order a second batch and have it produced and ready before New Years'?
My opinion is, that Craig wait for sure, that first batch does not have any HW problem. So I guess, that this is reason for second batch postponement.

craigix said:
I'm not sure when it will go live, I'd like to avoid having it go live at midnight, maybe about 1-2pm GMT? That would be fair across the world pretty much, everyone would be up-ish?
That sounds good for me. Should be 10.30 - 11.30pm here

CronoTriggerfan said:
I'm no expert on this, but I think 1pm GMT would be between 4-8am in the US (depending on where you live). Do most Americans work at 4am?

Gilrad said:
Craig stated in the newsletter that the second batch won't come until early 2009 at the earliest.

FRZ said:
CyruzDraxs said:
Chip said:
I was just thinking. There is no way he can be sure of his claim.

Chip went on record in another thread stating that he's going to wait 24 hours until after the pre-order starts before ordering his to prove his point. It will be interesting to see if he actually does go through with this and see what happens.

Sounds like you need a phone with GPRS, then you can place your order regardless of where you are :)

Secondly, I think the order quantity should be kept low. There's a lot of interest, and no doubt there will be some crooks trying to buy a large amount using stolen credit cards and the like for the sole purpose of selling them on ebay.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Stan, notice how I said COUNTRY, not continent. All this "globalization" stuff's a buncha shit. :) From a country-by-country basis, America makes up more of the market for Pandora than any other on the poll. I'm not advocating the current time being changed, I'm just saying that my original thesis still holds true.

I love you, the pandora is the best thing that ever happened to me since GTA IV PC's announcement.

Squidge said:
Secondly, I think the order quantity should be kept low. There's a lot of interest, and no doubt there will be some crooks trying to buy a large amount using stolen credit cards and the like for the sole purpose of selling them on ebay.

Which is why some have been saying maximum 2 per order.

Someone else said earlier to impose this maximum for 2-3 days, then remove it and let the rest go for it. Not a bad idea actually, although maybe it should be imposed for 5 days (enough time to allow everyone who is genuine to get theirs first).

Back