GP2X Nfs On The Gp2x

BBTroll

Thanks to DJWillis's negotiations with GPH to realase the kernel source, and Squidge's talk with PLX. I was able to rebuild a kernel with networking and NFS support.

After rebuild the kernel, making the image with u-boot, and flashing my gp2x with the custom kernel.

I tried to modprobe my net2272, but I'm missing the base address for chip. Therefore I had to use GPH's net2272 module.

g_ether had a few problems building but they were easy to fix. The CDC(linux) part of the driver is broker my linux driver is screwy. The RNDIS(windows) part of the driver works great. So... I had to use Windows to connect it.

Due to the fact that I had to use Windows, I had to install cygwin's NFS server.

After all that,

modprobe net2272
insmod /mnt/sd/g_ether.o (I had too many versions to copy them to the nand)
ifconfig usb0 up 10.0.0.50 netmask 255.0.0.0 (easy to remember ip and mask)
mount 10.0.0.2:/pub /mnt/nand (my computers share, and the "nand" folder)

Then I was able browse my hdd with my gp2x :D

No more card swaping. I can export my development folder and run the gpe without touching my SD.

Now to get it working in linux without making the gp2x throw a kernel panic after a single ping.

Quiest posted on Dec 30 2005 at 10:00 AM said:
Arg, I was hoping for Need For Speed here! :D
:lol: Damn me too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. posted on Dec 30 2005 at 03:40 PM said:
Quiest posted on Dec 30 2005 at 10:00 AM said:
Arg, I was hoping for Need For Speed here! :D
:lol: Damn me too!
haha - but then why would a troll call themselves BBtroll?

lol ;)

@BBTroll, what about a package, when everything works with everything inclued for windows and linux user with a small tutorial. This not only usefull for devs in my opinion.

btw, how fast is this USB1.1 or USB 2.0 ?

anyway GREAT WORK!

BBTroll posted on Dec 30 2005 at 07:58 AM said:
Thanks to DJWillis's negotiations with GPH to realase the kernel source, and Squidge's talk with PLX. I was able to rebuild a kernel with networking and NFS support.

After rebuild the kernel, making the image with u-boot, and flashing my gp2x with the custom kernel.

I tried to modprobe my net2272, but I'm missing the base address for chip. Therefore I had to use GPH's net2272 module.

g_ether had a few problems building but they were easy to fix. The CDC(linux) part of the driver is broker my linux driver is screwy. The RNDIS(windows) part of the driver works great. So... I had to use Windows to connect it.

Due to the fact that I had to use Windows, I had to install cygwin's NFS server.

After all that,

modprobe net2272
insmod /mnt/sd/g_ether.o (I had too many versions to copy them to the nand)
ifconfig usb0 up 10.0.0.50 netmask 255.0.0.0 (easy to remember ip and mask)
mount 10.0.0.2:/pub /mnt/nand (my computers share, and the "nand" folder)

Then I was able browse my hdd with my gp2x :D

No more card swaping. I can export my development folder and run the gpe without touching my SD.

Now to get it working in linux without making the gp2x throw a kernel panic after a single ping.

WOW, this is awesome news! :)

I keep all of my emulator game images/roms on a FreeBSD server running nfsd so this will be very cool. Things are really shaping up even better than I expected. I was anticipating no external connectivity and it seems the resourceful folks on this board have really outdone themselves.

~telengard

Sonic-NKT: Sure, we I get everything working I'll added to the wiki. And it is working as USB 2.0.

Dark_TB: USB2.0 at its max is around 480Mbps. SD is around 100Mbps with a good card and a working driver.

BBTroll posted on Dec 30 2005 at 11:43 PM said:
Sonic-NKT: Sure, we I get everything working I'll added to the wiki. And it is working as USB 2.0.

Dark_TB: USB2.0 at its max is around 480Mbps. SD is around 100Mbps with a good card and a working driver.
@BBTroll. Could you please describe the process of building and installing a custom kernel for the GP2X in the Wiki?

Thanks in advance.

Have I missed something.... did GPH finaly release the latest source for the kernel? or is this built on the original alpha released source?

GPH/Digisys released a crippled(no USB support) kernel source some time ago. However, they are not releasing any of the updates they have done to the code since then.

From what I call tell, the current code is something like a 1.0.1beta. The VSYNC code is there(what is requied by DrMD's menu not to flip/jump), but the boot logo is the same as the one from 1.0.0.

Dig are supposed to be relinquishing the latest revision to the source this week, I've asked them to ensure that every part of the source comes with this one, including mplayer, u-boot, etc - assuming they respond as quickly as they did with everything else, expect a response about 11:00pm australian time. :)

Allan.

:ph34r: Hi,

For those who use w2k (like me) you can find a drivers pack Here.

Which make the gp2x correctly detected by the pc.

Bye

Herc.

Back