Nintendo 3DS

Well chaps, the 3DS XL was announced this morning. It's bigger, obviously, and is being launched alongside some key software for all demographics (such as New Super Mario Bros. 2, New Art Academy, Inazuma Eleven Strikers, and Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask).

The unrealistic who had been hoping for the unlikely inclusion of extra controls will be disappointed, but anyone who wanted a larger second unit with some very big screens (4.88" for the upper screen, and 4.18" for the touch-screen) won't be. Japan's getting it in white, black, and red, and it appears that Europe and North America are getting black, red, and silver.

It is not supplied with an AC adapter or dock, as it appears to be geared towards those upgrading from the DSi XL, or those wanting a secondary 3DS unit for their household. It uses the same adapter as the DSi, DSi XL, and 3DS.

Battery life has been increased by approximately one hour and a half over the standard-sized 3DS, to a total of 6.5 hours for 3DS software, so I would imagine that Nyko will soon be on the case with an extended battery for this model as well, since their pack for the standard-sized model offers around 8.5 to 9 hours for 3DS software.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wait for the Nyko thing to come out in Germany, its a Batterie whit a circle Pad Pro like thing,

i ditnt like this new 3ds xl, mybe i would by a new 3ds if there include a secend circle pad pro, and more batterie time, but i dont have use for a bigger 3ds whit the same features, but 1 hour more batterie..

Well I've been holding off for the inevitable model revisions, but have to say I'm more than a little dismayed by what's 'on offer' with the XL.

The lack of a second circle pad whilst undoubtedly disappointing is not necessarily a deal breaker for me, but the apparent pixel density of the XL is, it seems like I'm going to be holding on to my 3DS fund for quite some time yet (unless of course some Vita software worth owning arrives in the meantime)

Madness, all that extra space, no second Cricle Pad, wonder how many sales they'll lose because of that lack of balls / foresight. Good to see that some attempt has been made to increase the piss poor battery life of the 3DS though.

Wonder what the circle pad pro add on will look like for the XL? :blink:

Hope it's not a fake ...

3DS XL.jpg

I'm going to get one, as my DSiXL is one of my favorite handhelds, but my biggest problem is NO WHITE for USA, WTF!? LOL That white looks so fucking cool, I really hope they bring that over at some point. The red and blue are ok I guess, but nothing special. Nintendo has the worst taste in 3DS color combinations. What is the issue with having one color outside, and another on the inside? UGLY as fuck!

I always hoped they would include the extra circle pad with any revision they made, but I knew it would be unlikely in reality. Hopefully this unit will be designed so that a smaller CPP can be used without the extra added bulk. Maybe clamp on the side, and use a signal to work?

I'm still going to get one at launch, as the small screen of the standard unit is just waaaaaaaayyyyyyy to small, and the new unit has rounder edges, so it should be more comfortable overall. They didn't change the placement of the power button either, but the 3 below screen buttons seem to have better "action" now, so all is good I suppose. Better than nothing right?

Chris

Madness, all that extra space, no second Cricle Pad, wonder how many sales they'll lose because of that lack of balls / foresight.
None, purely because extra controls to cater for a niche accessory that nobody sells anyway (it was exclusive to one or two stores, who now no longer stock it), for a tiny handful of niche games, are unnecessary. :p

What is the issue with having one color outside, and another on the inside? UGLY as fuck!
It's due to how the human eye resolves colours.

Ever tried placing darkened smoke-tinted glass over a CRT (such as, say, on an arcade cabinet)? It looks much better, as it causes the colours to "pop" more. If you haven't tried it, do so - it really does make quite a difference! Anyway, it's the same principle - it makes the colours appear more strongly to the eye. It's why pretty much every single Nintendo handheld has a darkened screen-surround of some description (not always black, but almost always darker than the casing) - it's just bigger on the 3DS.

As for the white not being available in North America, I wonder if spares will be available so that you could re-case it?

@Prometheus

I don't know about the Black border, and I guess it is open to debate, but I have been playing handhelds my whole life, and have had all differant shapes, sizes, and colors, and I have never noticed any differance in a balck border in comparison to other colors. Not to say it isn't true, but why release an all white unit from head to toe, instead of making that model black on the inside as well? Seems to contradict that argument from the start. More Nintendo BS in my opinion. Just release the same colors to all regions, problem solved.

Yeah, I may be able to get an aftermarket case at some point and swap them out, but those cases never match the quality of Nintendo's own cases, and I doubt "N" will ever sell them, as they don't want consumers opening there units.

Overall, I'm happy to see a bigger unit, so I'm going to buy one first day for sure, as the screen size is my biggest issue currently. Would I like to have another circle pad and a better color? Hell YES, but it's not the end of the world I suppose. Hopefully now I can play games without my hands cramping within 5 minutes :p

EDIT:I'm pretty sure USA will get some kind of bundle set for Luigi 2 or Paper Mario at the holidays, so I still might see the white unit after all, but I'm sure it will be some other special color and not the all white unit(Damn You Nintendo)!

Chris

I was tempted to get an DSi XL, but never did. I'll probably pass on this as well, but will most likely end up getting one as a gift for a nephew or niece.

I've just come across this & it's making the 3DS look particularly attractive to me, despite my reservations.. anyone else like the look of it..?
Yeah, that game looks very good, but I never bothered to get to excited over it, as I doubt we will ever see an english translation. It would be cool though.

Chris

Actually, come to think of it and IMHO the reason why they didn't put a 2nd CP on it (apart from the fact they plan on putting out an CPP XL) is that in 2 or 3 years time they'll want to release a 3DS XL Rite, which is a 3DS XL with a RIGHT-hand circle pad.

3DS XL RITE

Back