Nintendo 64 - Possible Or Not?

PSX, Cahaz? That's nearly as bad as the N64, isn't it? Would the GP2X really be capable of running much in the way of PSX games?

Prothall posted on Oct 15 2005 at 10:55 PM said:
PSX, Cahaz? That's nearly as bad as the N64, isn't it? Would the GP2X really be capable of running much in the way of PSX games?
Much moreso than the N64, but still not too much at first (if at all).

Last edited by a moderator:
Prothall posted on Oct 16 2005 at 03:55 AM said:

The PSX is simpler than the N64 in the fact that it runs slower and doesn't have floating point 3d (no perspective correct textures) no z-buffer for accurate polygon intersections etc. Even though simpler it isn't going to run very well on a GP2X. the most it would be is 75% speed, high FS and no sound. Ok for some but that is pretty worthless to me. I would rather have other stuff that is more practical.

As usual, DaveC doesn't know what the hell he's talking about :p

j/k

It does take a half-decent PC to emulate a PSX, though. Something like a high-end P3 with a video card that was decent 5 years ago.

Also I don't beleive anyone hoping for PSone emulation even conciders the 3d games as viable. All anyone could hope for is the 2D games and even then they'll be slower than regular speed.

You guys are also thinking about processing power.

What about the input method? Even if the GP2X had enough power to emulate the N64 and PSX, the controller scheme just wouldnt work. at all. You would really have to fubar the controls to make it work.

PSyMastR posted on Oct 16 2005 at 03:25 AM said:
johnno15 posted on Oct 15 2005 at 07:29 PM said:
Mr synkro fix your sig NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whats wrong with his sig?

he had something really ignorant in his sig, its not there anymore

You guys are also thinking about processing power.

What about the input method? Even if the GP2X had enough power to emulate the N64 and PSX, the controller scheme just wouldnt work. at all. You would really have to fubar the controls to make it work.

I've brought up the input problem a dozen times in the discussion of N64 emulators in both the the cases of the PSP and GP2X (even on the DS!) and people often choose to ignore it with comments like "not every game uses all the buttons!"

So the fact that the people who keep asking for it are in denial over the unlikely possibility that they'd be able to play most of the games if they could be emulated on the system means that you must destroy their hopes at the root with the simple logic that it's unlikely that they'll ever be able to play these games to begin with. The GP2X is simply not designed to handle the highly complex graphics of the 32bit systems in and emulator environment, maybe on it own it might be able to output graphics similar to a PSone or a DS, but hoping for accurate, playable emulation of the N64 onthe scale of Project64 just aint happening anytime soon... or frankly anytime at all.

Cahaz posted on Oct 16 2005 at 05:16 AM said:
Now, For emulation. The term 'Emulation could be basicly described As a program that 'decode' an operation from a platform to make it understandable for another platform. That's why emulation is so consuming. (well, you need to take the OS in consideration , and alot of other things too...)

What I've wondered, could one make a "decoder", which would chomp up the ROM for game X, then look up the instructions it needs, and output a platform-compatible exe... I mean, as far as I see it, that is done during emulation, only in real time. ROM tells emulator to draw a Mario, emu tells the GP to draw a Mario...

It's so simple! :rolleyes:

I'd say it's possible to emulate N64, deffinately. It's possible to emulate X-box on GP2X... at 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000003 FPS. :p

we can be happy if we have some playable psx games on the gp2x. THe N64 was even 3 times faster than the psx.
Yes its possible to emulate it but at a speed that would be useless, perhaps something to show your friends, but thats it.

I would not hope for ANYTHING more then psx and that is very slim chance, it is quite possible though seeing what people have done on PocetPC and then we can still OverClock the system probaly to 233mhz or 250mhz. But we need someone really talented and that has alot of time on his hands.

Back