Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

If you get it post a detailed review.  I plan to do the same.  I like the idea, but I can see myself not making any good levels, and I am concerned that there will be a bunch of really bad ones made for every good one.  I think I read that it comes with some new stuff ready to play, however I wouldn't want to rely on those to be the main thing I play with the game unless there are a lot of them (equal in quantity to the original SMB games).

Another thing I wonder about is what will happen to sharing of levels/maps made by others after Nintendo stops supporting this in a few years.  If they are hosted on Nintendo servers I can see it being totally abandoned at some point.  Maybe USB can save it.

Ran out of likes.  I am looking forward to stuff like that.  It would be nice to have full fan made new SMB games and recreations.

SMM looks very cool, and is really a long over due style game/creator. Honestly though, I've never had any interest in creating levels, so for that reason, I have no interest in getting this currently. My son wants it of course, so I'll probably get it for him as a Christmas present, as I'm sure he'll sit around for hours on end creating levels. He's 9 after all, and has nothing but time. LOL

The true draw for me would be to play the user created levels, but that will need some kind of ratings system or something in place to weed out the crap that's sure to be created. I can already see how much more creative many of the levels can be, in comparison to what "N" does. They stated a Zelda Maker would be possible, but at the pace "N" works, I won't plan on seeing that for another generation or two(if at all).

Chris

I really can't see why the world is going nuts for a level editor. How bored are users going to be of that two hours after buying into SMM?

I really can't see why the world is going nuts for a level editor. How bored are users going to be of that two hours after buying into SMM?
It beats playing SMB1 for the 5,221st time.  I am more interested in playing new levels than making them.

I honestly felt the same way when I first saw this announced, but over time I can kind of see the interest in it. I do feel it is way over hyped, but something like this is long over due.

At this point, "N" 2D Mario games are about as stale as can be, so I'm curious to see what some creative users can come up with, and show "N" how they can do "new" things, with old characters.

Chris

Let's just hope that the level sharing thing is better organised than the one in the recent Mario Vs Donkey Kong games. That was total shite.

Another thing I wonder about is what will happen to sharing of levels/maps made by others after Nintendo stops supporting this in a few years.  If they are hosted on Nintendo servers I can see it being totally abandoned at some point.  Maybe USB can save it.
You will have this problem with Splatoon too (except if they decide to redo the disc at some point), because a lot of content (maps,skins,weapons,etc.) is delivered via download only ( e.g. the Splatoon disc I bought at the release date had only four maps on it).

but that will need some kind of ratings system or something in place to weed out the crap that's sure to be created.
Besides Nintendo having a look at each contribution (looking for penises and whatnot), there will be/is already a rating system in place.

At this point, "N" 2D Mario games are about as stale as can be, so I'm curious to see what some creative users can come up with, and show "N" how they can do "new" things, with old characters.
But how creative people can be? As far as I read, its a rather simple editor that won't let you customize the game mechanics at all.

Back to topic:

What about the rumor that NX won't be (foremost) a hardware plattform, but a (eco)system that starts Nintendos move to be more cross plattform?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo stated that it will be a hardware device, but not like anything that currently exists. They have stated that it will not replace WiiU or 3DS - although they also said that the DS would not replace the GameBoy...

No doubt Nintendo are going cross-platform to a degree, but they will likely not abandon their own hardware any time soon, especially handhelds. Nintendo do see mobile as an avenue, but not for their main games (spin offs yes, but not the games themselves). But even Nintendo aren't doing the coding donkey-work for mobile - they've farmed out their franchises for others to deal with.

But how creative people can be? As far as I read, its a rather simple editor that won't let you customize the game mechanics at all.

Back to topic:

What about the rumor that NX won't be (foremost) a hardware plattform, but a (eco)system that starts Nintendos move to be more cross plattform?
Mario has only ever been able to "run & jump" really, so I'm not expecting that to change. "N" is very vanilla in their approach to 2D Mario, as you can take any of the last 10+ years of games and besides adding motion controls to the Wii games, it would be very hard to tell one game from another. The difficulty is always about the same, and they just do the same things with their levels, there are no more surprises.

I'm expecting users to think outside of the level designs that "N" is so stuck doing, thinking they need to stick to some formula that has been around for ages. I don't even bother buying 2D Mario games anymore, because if you've played one, you've played them all.

Nintendo stated that it will be a hardware device, but not like anything that currently exists. They have stated that it will not replace WiiU or 3DS - although they also said that the DS would not replace the GameBoy...

No doubt Nintendo are going cross-platform to a degree, but they will likely not abandon their own hardware any time soon, especially handhelds. Nintendo do see mobile as an avenue, but not for their main games (spin offs yes, but not the games themselves). But even Nintendo aren't doing the coding donkey-work for mobile - they've farmed out their franchises for others to deal with.
I don't know where their going with the NX, but if rumors are to be believed, and this is a digital only device, I won't be buying it. They have always stated it was some form of "mobile" device(so digital only makes sense), and I just can't see "N" or the guys they partnered with doing anything worthwhile. "N" can't do proper accounts, region free, they are just one big mess to me. How they plan to enter a "new" avenue of gaming, and do well, is a pipe dream.

For as long as I can remember, "N" has been saying "x" and then doing "y". I've seen them say nothing is in the works, only to make an announcement within the following 2 weeks. Nothing they say can be believed at anytime, and they spin words to meet their needs. Typical PR that you get everywhere, but the same way "N" no longer runs their business well, their PR is just as "broke". Just because they say they won't be dropping current systems, doesn't make it so. Just look at the current release line up, and you can see the current systems are on the way out.

Chris

I guess it's really a rare thing onto consoles. I'm into level Editors since the BUILD-Editor from Duke3D and on the PC there are basicly editors for everyones needs. So nothing special from my side this SMM Editor thingy. Pretty basic & standard stuff I would say from a PC gamers perspective. I only wonder why Nintendo didn't make something like that already 20 Years ago.

I'm into level Editors since the BUILD-Editor from Duke3D ans on the PC there are basicly editors for everyones needs.
Yeah, level editors etc. have been around for donkey years on pc, but they've also pretty much also been free. Actually paying for something like this makes even less sense!

With people itching to chuck money at SMM, Nintendo isn't as daft as some people think...

Just because they say they won't be dropping current systems, doesn't make it so.
Which is exactly what I said with the DS/GameBoy comment. The WiiU is already pretty much dead and daft iterations of the 3DS just cluttering up the place a newer replacement for both systems is needed.

BTW My betting is that NX will be a digital only device, which I don't particularly care for either.

I'm into level Editors since the BUILD-Editor from Duke3D ans on the PC there are basicly editors for everyones needs.
Yeah, level editors etc. have been around for donkey years on pc, but they've also pretty much also been free. Actually paying for something like this makes even less sense!

With people itching to chuck money at SMM, Nintendo isn't as daft as some people think...
Sadly, this is just how they operate. Where standard games drop in price, and can often be found fairly cheap within 6-12 months, "N" takes ages to drop prices by barely $10. They do it, because they can. Yeah, SMM should have been a free app on the Wii U, but since they know "fans & kids" will pay, they charge full price. This is really the only business they have left, and they seem happy to abuse the relationship.

Chris

I personally wouldn't be too hyped by this. Little Big Planet has already scratched that itch a few years ago, and i doubt that Super Mario Maker has more functions.

As far as I understand it, from the articles I've read, the essence of the game is to build levels in the style of the classic Super Mario Bros. for NES, play them for yourself and share them with the community, which would be excactly the same as Little Big Planet. Now, of course, Little Big Planet is a little bit more than that gameplay-wise (for example, you need to collect new items inside the story levels). But other than that the games seem very similar.

Would you mind listing the key differences?

I personally wouldn't be too hyped by this. Little Big Planet has already scratched that itch a few years ago, and i doubt that Super Mario Maker has more functions.
They're actually very different games. You can't compare them with each other.

As far as I understand it, from the articles I've read, the essence of the game is to build levels in the style of the classic Super Mario Bros. for NES, play them for yourself and share them with the community, which would be excactly the same as Little Big Planet. Now, of course, Little Big Planet is a little bit more than that gameplay-wise (for example, you need to collect new items inside the story levels). But other than that the games seem very similar.

Would you mind listing the key differences?
I'm guessing, SONY is referring to the base game play being different. I agree that this concept is far from NEW, but it is what it is. As great as LBP was at creating content by the end user, Mario is so much bigger worldwide, "N" would be crazy to not cash in on this. But in no way are they doing anything new or revolutionary, unless you consider how long it's taken to actually release something like this. 

Chris

Back