Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

All LBP games are crap, imo.
I'm not a fan of them either.
I played the original which was OK, and then PSP version which was more of the same, and finally the Vita version. The Vita version was better, but at the end of the day, I don't believe I've ever finished one of them.

Where I have completed almost every Mario game I ever started. So while I didn't think muck of certain Mario titles in the series, I have played them to completion, so I guess that says something.

For anyone looking for a good replacement to those stale 2D Mario games, I recommend Rayman Origins, an absolute epic 2D platformer.

Chris

I have fond memories of playing the PSP version and being very impressed of the creative freedom that the level editor gave me. I thought it was very intuitive for all the functions it had (they had a video tutorial for literally every function). So I personally prefer Little Big Planet, but thats only my opinion. But Super Mario Maker is still going to be a lot of fun for people who are into this.

I have fond memories of playing the PSP version and being very impressed of the creative freedom that the level editor gave me. I thought it was very intuitive for all the functions it had (they had a video tutorial for literally every function). So I personally prefer Little Big Planet, but thats only my opinion. But Super Mario Maker is still going to be a lot of fun for people who are into this.
If these kinds of games would have come out when I was young, I'm sure I would have created stuff daily. Sadly, at my current position in life, spending time creating game levels just ain't in the cards :p

While I never used this function in LBP, it was for sure one of it's best features, as it was very well received in every version where it is offered. I've also seen some very creative levels and ideas online. I'm sure SMM will be great as well, as it is completely for the use of "creation" and playing those created levels.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, creation at my old age is like a chore...unless it's Mario Paint! I don't mind creating music now.
Hmmm, if only there was some way of combining your interests in retro gaming and making music (and maybe buying hardware and stuff)... :p

The industry-leading chips bit means absolutely nothing - Even the current consoles have super weak GPUs - and Nintendo is never going to sell any system that will be really expensive either, so there's not much to expect in terms of capabilities there - especially since they package another peripheral with it, again,

I agree^, this news is actually a few days old(so I've seen tons of opinions over the last few days), and where "N" is involved, I have zero hopes for the NX having actual decent specs.

As stated, they will never go to high price wise, and considering this device was 99% developed under Iwata, I'm expecting a very Nintendocentric system, that does stuff mostly for them and their sensibilities, which means nothing to no one but them when it's all said and done.

With every new system from as far back as I can remember, as soon as development systems are sent out, you start hearing buzz on how it can do this and that, and how everyone loves the design, and then we see the stream of games get less and less for each new gen from 3rd parties. I don't know if they make it appear good from the out set, and then it doesn't deliver, or if developers just like to talk it up out of some sense of fanboyism that they owe "N", but the hype never delivers in the end.

I really hope they deliver something cutting edge, that covers the basic at least(region free, proper account systems, no useless gimmicks, etc), and then focus on the true art of actually making good games. Sadly, I believe they may be going the "digital" route with this item, as well as the "pay for play" design, where you get a base game free, and then pay as you go. Either way, I'm not expecting much, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Chris

I really hope they deliver something cutting edge, that covers the basic at least(region free, proper account systems, no useless gimmicks, etc), and then focus on the true art of actually making good games.

To quote the linked article:

A separate mobile unit could also fit the description of the touchscreen-based controller that Nintendo recently patented, that also has shoulder scroll wheels.
It doesn't look good regarding a change of policies. More patents, focus on gimmicks, locking down, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo always patent weird and wonderful inventions that they're never going to produce.  Before the Gamecube was released they were patenting designs for motion controllers, some like the wii remote, others like the gamecube controller.

Note this smells a bit like patent parking to me, and I don't approve of it, but in the historical context, riffing on themes and producing patents is nothing new for Nintendo.

Note this smells a bit like patent parking to me, and I don't approve of it, but in the historical context, riffing on themes and producing patents is nothing new for Nintendo.

Yeah, I've seen tons of patents from them over the years, and almost none of those have actually been produced in any real world applications, but you some times see certain parts in final products from time to time. If they have an idea, they patent it just in case they ever decide to go with it, but 9 out of 10 times, that never happens.

Chris

Yeah, I don't expect nintendo to release an expensive and uber powerful system either. The linked article is speculative.
I'm curious to see if they can step into mobile territory but still retain their personality and hardcore customer base.
I'm not a nintendo user myself - gamecube and gba were the only nintendo machines I owned, imo some of their best consoles.

This definitely has me intrigued as to what exactly it will be.

I'm hoping it's not a too much of the old touchscreen involved.

I was watching a video on YT today which the guy was talking about how a dev who got the SDK was saying the thing is looking likely to blow the PS4 and XBOne out the water in terms of capability ... that is what has got me very interested ... and of course the premise of more new Mario games to come

This definitely has me intrigued as to what exactly it will be.

I'm hoping it's not a too much of the old touchscreen involved.

I was watching a video on YT today which the guy was talking about how a dev who got the SDK was saying the thing is looking likely to blow the PS4 and XBOne out the water in terms of capability ... that is what has got me very interested ... and of course the premise of more new Mario games to come

It's so difficult to know. Will or can Nintendo afford to release a system significantly more powerful than ps4 and x-bone?

I don't know. The touch pad in that patent is indeed intriguing, the thought of having digital fire coursing across the screen or such.

There are a lot of VR headsets, Holo lens, and other Augmented reality devices on the horizon too. 

Can or should Nintendo compete with these? What if they had some kind of limited holo tech?

Mario projected out of your screen or something.

It may be hard for Nintendo to truly differentiate themselves.

Still, I probably won't buy one but I'm very curious to see what they come up with.

At this point, I really don't care what they release, but whatever it is, they need to get behind it 110%, and actually have games at launch that show the particulars of what the system can do and what makes it unique. 

If their going to release more of the same(Wii, Wii U, 3DS), and then talk about how they have games in development that show the "real" meaning of the system, please don't bother.

Chris

I'm just waiting on this one.  If I'm wowed at launch, then I'll get it. Otherwise, I won't be a first day buyer like I've always been with Nintendo hardware. This next round I really need to be wowed and wooed by Nintendo.

At this point in time, I'm having a hard time thinking how Nintendo could possibly sell 15-20million consoles in the first year like they're expecting. They've either got something very, very special (and devs are not mentioning this - I know, NDA, but there aren't even rumours), or they are seriously deluded. Time will tell and hopefully sooner, rather than later - especially since they've got a shitload of consoles to sell by the sound of things.

At this point in time, I'm having a hard time thinking how Nintendo could possibly sell 15-20million consoles in the first year like they're expecting. They've either got something very, very special (and devs are not mentioning this - I know, NDA, but there aren't even rumours), or they are seriously deluded. Time will tell and hopefully sooner, rather than later - especially since they've got a shitload of consoles to sell by the sound of things.

Any numbers they are giving at this point are complete BS, and based on the alternate reality that "N" lives in. Iwata gave the same pie in the sky numbers to the Wii U, and they fell way short every quarter.

I'm hoping their new leadership keeps more to the real world, but if these numbers are true, he seems to be following in Iwata's exact foot prints(which is not good). Bogus numbers are great at the time they are given, as they appease share holders and keep numbers up. Once they fall way short of those numbers, then the shit hits the fan, and stocks drop anyway. This is the game that has been played there for years, and it looks like old traditions diehard.

Chris

It must be pretty hard for Nintendo to have any real idea how any console will do before it's released.  The DS took a redesign and then an advertising campaign that really caught the zeitgeist (with games like Brain Training), but nobody really saw that coming.  Likewise, nobody knew quite how many units Wii Sports would sell alone, and without that the Wii might well have been the Gamecube mk 2.

Back