Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

This is an unofficial announcement that at some point there will be an official announcement of the shipping announcements of the prototype Pyras, followed by a further announcement of the delivery of preorder Pyras.

This is one hype train I've got myself in a comfortable window seat (albeit standard class) on.

I couldn't set up a room like a starship bridge without a huge tv. Also, my CRTs (until I can afford a decent set up for old consoles and computers that works for modern monitors and TVs) kinda ensure I will have some around for a while. I don't rally understand why someone would want a tiny display when they could have a huge one (people with space restrictions, that can't afford one (I bought a tv for $4...), or that are always on the move/don't have a stationary "home" it makes sense for, and I personally use a laptop in those situations, but a tiny handheld screen would get tiresome on the peepers).

What would be awesome are handhelds with built in projectors that look ok. Or maybe holographic emitters or whatever (I am thinking Star Trek, not Star Wars, but either version would be kinda cool). Instead, people will be taping smartphones to their faces. What a stupid future.

I couldn't set up a room like a starship bridge without a huge tv. Also, my CRTs (until I can afford a decent set up for old consoles and computers that works for modern monitors and TVs) kinda ensure I will have some around for a while. I don't rally understand why someone would want a tiny display when they could have a huge one (people with space restrictions, that can't afford one (I bought a tv for $4...), or that are always on the move/don't have a stationary "home" it makes sense for, and I personally use a laptop in those situations, but a tiny handheld screen would get tiresome on the peepers).

What would be awesome are handhelds with built in projectors that look ok. Or maybe holographic emitters or whatever (I am thinking Star Trek, not Star Wars, but either version would be kinda cool). Instead, people will be taping smartphones to their faces. What a stupid future.

What your getting to is this: http://www.castar.com/

Hmm no I was wrong, this isnt at all what I thaught, not really portable cos its apparently a projector that requires a special screen, just started watching this video were the tech is explained:

This is all very offtopic though, sorry.

Last edited:
using a "coffee table" mode with two player for bomberman would be awesome... I hope we'll have game supporting such thing...

using a "coffee table" mode with two player for bomberman would be awesome...
I like to play like this in multiplayer sometime with my 10'' tablet, the only games I know of that support this are Olo, Fruit Ninja and Badlands though, are there any more?

According to Eurogamer, the Switch will have a 6.2" 720p capacitive multi-touch screen.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-27-nintendo-switch-has-a-6-2-multi-touch-screen
Yeah, lots of "sources" are saying the same thing. It's probably the natural way to go, with something like this. I do like the preciseness of the DS/3DS stylus and touchscreen, but Nintendo do have to pamper to the iPad generation; ie those that are used to "fingers-on" touch-screens.

Am I the only one these days who thinks, that announcements for announcements are ridiculous?
I've already seen an announcement for an announcement for an announcement somewhere.

Is this how hypes are made now?

This is how they keep the interest high, although a piece of shit, is still a piece of shit, so in the long run, I don't think it's doing them any favors, but whatever.

Not saying the Switch is for sure a piece of shit, but if "N" had some real killer games to show, they would have shown them already. Same goes for 3rd parties. Everyone around the web is stating how 3rd parties are keeping a lid on their great games until the proper time, but that makes ZERO sense.

Software is what sales hardware, not janky ass commercials showing situations that no normal person will ever be a part of to begin with. If there was a decent line up of launch games, 1st party or otherwise, they would have been shown, as that would serve them way better than showing controllers and accessories that aren't even the final product.

Like I've said before, all this just seems to be smoke and mirrors to distract from the fact that this system will probably have a launch real similar to the Wii U, with the only difference being the new Zelda, and the only reason that is in the mix, is due to "N" screwing over the Wii U user base by delaying the game to offer it for Switch as well.

Announcing an announcement, is the same thing "N" does with demo's being a limited use demo. It all shows of desperation & utter stupidity to me.

Chris

The more I learn about the Switch, the more certain I am that Nintendo are hoping it's successfull so that they can kill the DS line. It looks very much like they hope to only build the Switch and thats it for both console and handheld.

If the Switch has only a 6.2 inch screen, and looks to be a bit bigger than the Vita but not that dissimiliar to a Vita in style - which makes me wonder.
There is no room for a DS. Would devs develop for two handhelds or just get their best games onto the Switch . I just don't see any room what so ever for a new DS.

Bye Bye DS

Certainly seems like there is too much overlap for both the Switch and the DS to exist.
Though, if true, then it seems more like they are killing the console line than the DS line.

Certainly seems like there is too much overlap for both the Switch and the DS to exist.
Though, if true, then it seems more like they are killing the console line than the DS line.

Yeah I suppose it depends which way you look at it.

In the end, two products, become one. Lets say , no more clamshell

When the DS came out they said it would coexcist with the Game Boy, but it got very succesfull and we never saw an GB again... If the Switch dont become successful they can say it was never meant to replace anything and was only a small sideproject or whatever, they are just keeping the escape route open, if it does become successful I bet we will never see another DS even though they said they werent discontinuing it.
And if they said they will discontinue DS and WiiU they have nothing to sell this christmas, thats why they dont wanna talk about the Switch yet and create hype for it and disbelief for WiiU and DS, but with all the leaks mayby they felt they had to show something at all.

I wonder if the Japanese market craves such a device since there can't be much interest for it in the European and American market.
With all the weird things going on in western gaming culture and precensored or entirely not happening releases I have the feeling that some companies are kind of fed up with those (=us) crazy gaijins.

At least we have them selling the same games they have sold nearly every generation since their original release to look forward to. (No matter how many times I reiterate this, the main person I buy games as gifts for wants the most recent "improved" release of whichever game, frequently a Zelda one. Meanwhile, I play on my older consoles alone.)

The biggest gripe from me if the Switch kills the DS will be pocketability. Clamshells are nice, especially on modern devices, but I started out with GBs. They were sorta pocketable from the beginning. Even if the Switch was somehow that durable I will either need a bag or I am sick carrying it in my hands, and that already means I won't be taking it most places I go. Switch really sounds like the name they are secretly using to tell us that the old stuff is dead (and there may be some other subliminal stuff in the name to try to win over other people).

At least we have the Pyra coming in Two Months. Then I won't need to bother with other handheld gaming devices...at least until Nintendo and/or Sony figure out what they are doing. I really want it to be one, or both, of them that keep handheld gaming going, however it seems pretty obvious now that we are post the time for dedicated devices for that purpose. I guess it will be smartphones and tablets only the generation after next.

I'll really miss the 3DS if it's canned. It's certainly looking long in the tooth, but there's still plenty of life left in it. It's my most played on gaming device ever. I do hope that there's another Nintendo handheld at some point, but I suspect that Nintendo will leave pocketable gaming to mobile if the Switch becomes a success.

Sadly, unless Sony figures a way to make a PS4 compatible cheap handheld, it's really doubtful they will continue on in the portable market. They really dropped the ball in regards to the Vita, especially with the success of the PS4. The way they pretty much gave up on it before it even began, leaves a really sour taste in my mouth, but it still has great support despite Sony treating it like SHIT! Where the Vita does allow for remote play, Sony has rarely if ever promoted it, and they seem hell bent to just not support the Vita no matter what.

Yeah, I completely agree that "N" is just testing the waters, and if the NS takes off, the 3DS will die a slow death. I personally don't see it selling well enough for that to happen, as that would require the support of the DS developers to jump ship and go NS, and I just don't see them taking the risk.

"N" is taking a HUGE gamble playing this game, as they need to be very clear with the little support they may receive, as I'm sure most developers would rather make lower cost games for the 3DS, than to spend more for NS games, where they might sale 10% of what they would on the 3DS. And if they get 3rd parties to actually support the NS, if sales are low, and "N" gives false information in regards to their future plans, I can guarantee this will be that last time 3rd parties will get burned by them. So that is why I'm saying they need to be very clear what their future plans are, and we all know that is NEVER going to happen.

I just never see the NS filling the DS market, as what makes that line sale as well as it does, has to do with the cheaper price and accessibility for the younger market. While some kids may get an NS, the chances of it performing as well as the DS has is unlikely.

As I've stated, unless the NS is released at 3DS pricing(which seems impossible with N and their plan to make profit on all systems sold), it is highly unlikely their current handheld market will move over to the NS, and then they are left with those who want a full console, or those who are from the portable side, that are willing to get a slightly less portable device.

It's like when the Wii U was released, it was to expensive to capture the handheld market, and it was to under powered to get the console market. The NS seems to me as more of the same. The price will be to high to capture the handheld market and to expensive to compete along side better consoles already in the market(and probably at cheaper prices).

Chris

EDIT: BTW, here's an article from a few days ago that I completely agree with: http://www.cracked.com/blog/its-finally-obvious-nintendo-doesnE28099t-understand-humans/

Back