Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

I'd love to get a newer console (newest we have is a 360) but as a retro gamer I don't like the idea of download only software.

Even download only updates puts me off.

I don't know. Personally I don't find the switch enticing as either a mobile or set top console. As a mobile console it's too big, the 3ds is a much better solution. As a home console its far too weird and not high performance enough. I'm not sure where a device like the switch would fit into my life.

That being said the new Mario game looks like a lot of fun.

I've been saying this since the NS was first shown^ It's a jack of all trades, and master of none.

Why "N" continues to try and compete in the console arena boggles my mind, and when you look at this as a handheld, it's a $400 one, and that is insane. The best thing they could have done was to make the best 3DS replacement they could, and then sold it solely as a handheld. They would have a ton of 3rd party support as past handheld systems have had, and they could have sold a docking station on it's own, like the PSTV for the Vita, for those who want to play on the big screen.

The handheld could have been $200, or $250 with a game, had support, and continued the one area where "N" has been a consistent success since the gameboy. Instead they continue to try and strike the Wii 100 million sales barrier, and that boat is gone and is not coming back, stop F***ing trying!

Now, if and when they do offer a true portable, it will be on shelves along side this, and just add more to their already confused consumer base. I'll be able to get a PS4 with a game this Christmas for $200, and I'm sure the same will happen for ONE. No one in their right mind is buying this, unless they want to play "N" games only(which some do), but the majority will pass this by, and get a PS4/ONE, or a 3DS/2DS, and wait for a proper handheld that is a true inexpensive followup, and not this cash grab that is the NS.

Chris

I wonder if they're looking at the rise of smartphones and tablets and feel that the wolves are at their door regarding mobile. Super Mario Run and PokeMon Go definitely seem like a tacit admission that they have doubts about the future of their own mobile platforms. The Switch really feels like a lifeboat with wheels so they can save themselves no matter what happens. Seems a little desperate actually.

Well the switch is portable, it may not be as easily pocketable as the 3DS, and yes that would have been nice, but it is portable. I have yet to see someone attempt to pocket it without the joycons attached , I think that will be interesting to see if it can be pocketable. I did see a photo of someone stuff the whole lot - joycons attached - into their back pocket. Needless to say that it didn't fit.

qdl3hemsbtm5mfzi8q3s.jpg

ywfvxvdahurpoe5ftjry.png

fca.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still using my GBA Micro, which I bought about 12 years ago, and its Batterie still works perfectly..
I don't worry that the Battery in my Switch will fell of during the time I use it..
But 4310 mah is less than on Pyra..
but the Joycons will have 20 hours of battery live..
My Wii U gamepad's battery is pretty much completely dead at this point, even though it's mostly used for Netflix.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo's cost-cutting measures extend to batteries as well nowadays, so I would expect people needing to replace their batteries by 2019 at the earliest.

Look at what they did with the first handful of Zelda games. Pretty pictures and sounds aren't as important as having a good game.

I must admit, it's a strange decision by Nintendo to launch Zelda on the Wii U also. You would think they would make it a Switch exclusive to try and bolster sales at launch

Look at what they did with the first handful of Zelda games. Pretty pictures and sounds aren't as important as having a good game.

I agree Nintendo has always been about the playability, Link to the past on GBA is one of my all time favourite games.

What I find strange is that Nintendo are releasing new hardware but it's not running one of it's main IP's at the native resolution of current mainstream TV's.

I must admit, it's a strange decision by Nintendo to launch Zelda on the Wii U also. You would think they would make it a Switch exclusive to try and bolster sales at launch

I don't find that surprising at all. The game was originally in development for the Wii U and was probably pushed back for the Switch just like when Twilight Princess came out on the Gamecube and Wii. If Nintendo suddenly scrapped the Wii U game after all that hype, they would certainly earn the ire of anyone that had planned to buy it for the Wii U (or worse bought a Wii U in anticipation of the game). They would stand a better chance of completely alienating current Wii U owners from ever buying a Switch in the first place.

It reminds me of what Square Enix did with Final Fantasy Versus XIII/Final Fantasy XV. I was one of several people that had planned to buy that for PS3. Granted, there was more to my decision to purchase the system than one game, but I still feel betrayed by how it was handled. I'm also not at all interested in the game now that it has been released even though I own a system that it is available for. But that's because Sony has a lot more games on their systems to make up for it. The Wii U does not.

Had Nintendo done that, I would be even less inclined to buy a Switch out of spite. At least now I can buy the Wii U version and get a bit more life out of the system before deciding to upgrade.

I agree Nintendo has always been about the playability, Link to the past on GBA is one of my all time favourite games.

What I find strange is that Nintendo are releasing new hardware but it's not running one of it's main IP's at the native resolution of current mainstream TV's.
Nothing new there. In a generation or three they will finally get around to 1080p (after 4k is widespread).

I am still unhappy about Metroid. Is that goofy art style one any good, or even released yet?

I am still unhappy about Metroid. Is that goofy art style one any good, or even released yet?

It was released, but to little to no fanfare, as no one really cared. Those who have played it say it's a decent "Rocket League" wanna be, as it's only worth playing as a group game. I'll grab it for my collection it I can get it cheap.

Chris

Nintendo, give me new Metroid, or sell it to someone that will.

Would anyone mind linking me to the list of planned Switch titles? Bonus points if it also tells what other platforms the non-exclusive ones are slotted for.

Nintendo, give me new Metroid, or sell it to someone that will.

This may not be what you had in mind, but it's more than your like to get from "N" any time soon, and it looks pretty damn cool(I haven't had the time to try it yet). I also recommend Axiom Verge, as it's available on most major systems, and is pretty damn good for an indie title made by one guy. I played it a few weeks straight when I first got it, and couldn't put it down until I finished it.

http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,4221.msg57562.html#msg57562

Chris

And I can play it on the original hardware? Awesome!

I am looking into Axiom Verge. If it becomes a series with regular releases I might not be as concerned about the lack of Metroid. I said might.

The PC, ONE and PS4 are all kind of similar
The PC, ONE, and PS4 are not all kinds of similar. Where did you hear that? The XBOne and PS4 have their own APIs which are distinct from all the offerings on PC and require special development systems.
The Switch, however, is confirmed to have Unity, which means an API which a lot of developers are already familiar with and can mostly be tested on a PC without a development system.

The PC, ONE, and PS4 are not all kinds of similar. Where did you hear that? The XBOne and PS4 have their own APIs which are distinct from all the offerings on PC and require special development systems.
The Switch, however, is confirmed to have Unity, which means an API which a lot of developers are already familiar with and can mostly be tested on a PC without a development system.

I'm going to mostly agree with you there with some exceptions. Much of Microsoft's DirectX 12 development has stemmed from things used on the Xbox One for reducing overhead and allowing direct hardware access. Also UWP games share the API between Xbox One and Windows 10. Win32 and OpenGL are still separate, but MS is trying to drive more unification between Xbox and Windows. I suspect that the new "Game Mode" that they are talking about for Windows 10 is probably going to be similar to what they do on the Xbox One where they run the Main OS and Game OS separately through virtualization with a Hypervisor to manage them. All that said, it still takes some work to port from Xbox One to Win32, which is what most Windows games still use and why we still see bad ports. Also I have read that UWP apps don't have access to all of the same resources as native Win32 apps like SLI, so there are still limitations there. So yes, I will agree that they are still different, but that difference is getting smaller and smaller these days. Meanwhile the PS4 is FreeBSD derived with high-level wrappers similar to DirectX and OpenGL.

I found an interesting deep-dive into the different platforms if anyone else wants to read up on them:
http://wccftech.com/xbox-one-directx-12-asynchronous-compute-hardware-specifications-ps4-comparison/

Both Unity and Unreal Engine 4 being confirmed for the Switch should open it up to many more titles. The Wii U had Unity support, but only Unreal Engine 3 support. That just leaves EA and Frostbite (or Frostbite Go) and CryEngine 4 to cover the big engines.

Back