Nintendo Wii U

I honestly think that Nintendo's not exactly straying from that path. But, yes, I'd sooner put up with them than Microsoft or Sony (both of whom could be well on their way to world domination if they chose so; Google'll probably get there first, though).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they're just about there already, imo. :blink:

Anyway, I want something like this PLEASE!!!

It'll even be better with SONY PS3 & SONY PSV connectivity, because unlike Wii U's controller, which has a non multi-touch resistive screen...PSV actually has a capacitive screen (everyone prefers them on tablets and smart phones) and multi-touch (need I say more?).

What are the chances of SONY giving this to us or implementing something similar next year?

If done correctly on PS3, we could see more awesome MMO's or even Blizzard (StarCraft) games showing up on PS3.

*fingers crossed*

Wii-U-005.jpg
medium_169_future5.jpg
250px-Wii_u.jpg

NGP-white-background.jpg
MnJyR.jpg

Whatever the case...Next year, I advise everyone to jump on the Nintendo Wii U bandwagon, because the PS3 and 360 console are run by 2 of the worse money hungry corporations in the world.

...Isn't Nintendo money hungry too?

Think about what the Light Gun Prop+Wii controllers+U Controller assembly allows relative to FPS for five seconds, without pretending gamepads optimized for platformers are the square peg that must be driven through every hole, and get back to me on trying to snark what they're opening up.

It'll even be better with SONY PS3 & SONY PSV connectivity, because unlike Wii U's controller, which has a non multi-touch resistive screen...PSV actually has a capacitive screen (everyone prefers them on tablets and smart phones) and multi-touch (need I say more?).
Capacitive touch technology is extremely limited, and realistically it is already obsolete technology. The algorithm problem to enable resistive multitouch has already been solved and held by various vendors including Toshiba and Fujitsu. All that's required is a software update to the driver stack and it works on all existing resistive screens. Meanwhile resistive layers are much more durable, suited to various inputs, and easier to produce then the capacitive alternative and can now be made extremely sensitive.

Not that you need multitouch to do a draw select, analog stick around the map, and assign a waypoint. Nor do you really need it for pinch to zoom when you have dual analog sticks, a d-pad, and a decent selection of buttons.

That would be nice, the only problem I've ever had with capacitive touch screens are the fact you need a capacitive stylus if you don't want to use your finger.

Also, using Remote Play you could actually play some games on the PS3 using the PSP and it's screen, but it was limited to some PSN titles, Minis and PS1 classics, if the Vita is more capable and adds the ability to play disc games as well, Sony may have a touch screen controller for their console a full year ahead of Nintendo.

Going to be pretty crappy if that screen really is 800x480. That's low resolution by modern standards, for that size. Hey Wii U owners, someone taking your TV? No problem, you can still play on the controller! (at one fifth the resolution). That feature would also mean that those games would have to be able to meaningfully fall back to just one screen...
This is funny.

WiiU_resolution_header_sized.jpg

Here at Golgotron, we consider ourselves scientists. We go where others dare not go, and we get the info others dare not get. So, when we were introduced to the Nintendo Wii U and realized that Nintendo only had some of the answers to our many questions, we set out to find the answers ourselves. We found one.

What is the screen resolution of that fancy wireless LCD built into the Wii U tablet controller?

First off, we knew it wasn’t super high res. You could tell that just by looking at it, and no one expects a 6.2 inch screen to be 1080p. At least, not anyone who knows anything about present-day LCD technology. However, we were kind of hoping for what is commonly referred to as QHD – 960 x 540. That’s a quarter of the 1080p that we love so much, and if you didn’t already know, hi-def scales down better when it works out evenly like that. Unfortunately, it looks like the units at E3 were not quite that good. Now, they didn’t look bad. In fact, the screens looked quite good in practice, but technically speaking, QHD is a bit better than WVGA, especially when the source material is hi-def. Just think about all the NetFlix’ing that’ll happen on this thing.

So this is what we found after staring at some hi-res photos and manually counting individual pixels – by our estimation, the screen on the Wii U tablet is about 870 pixels wide. However, that doesn’t jive with any standard screen resolutions and it certainly doesn’t match any LCDs commonly in production. 854, though… now that’s a winner. 854 x 480 (WVGA) is a very common widescreen resolution, and it’s within 2% of our not-scientific-enough measurement. Unless Nintendo changes things for the final units, we’re confident the Nintendo U tablet resolution is WVGA.

If you’re up for it, you can use our images to count the pixels for yourself. Click on the thumbnails for the full resolution images.

http://golgotron.com/2011/06/nintendo-wii-u-tablet-screen-resolution-revealed/

That's silly. That is a pretty high resolution for that screen and games would look perfectly fine on it. People complain too much about things they aren't forced to buy.

Welcome to the 21st century, baby. Have you seen Apple's latest iPhone ads? "If you don't have an iPhone...well, then you don't have an iPhone." Changing that to "You MUST buy an iPhone" wouldn't be too much of a change.

Don't fall victim! Nobody can resist the coolness factor of various gadgets; until you come to your senses and decide not to buy them!

I remember those iDon't ads, they made me laugh, Apple are desperate for you to buy their remaining stock because they know no one will want last years model once the 5 hits the shelves.

Sega Exec Says Wii U Out Spring/Summer 2012 (between March and September 2012)

Nintendo has only said its new Wii U console will be out in 2012. Former rival Sega, however, has been a little more specific.

In an interview with GameSpot last week during E3, Sega executive vice president of marketing Alan Pritchard said "the Wii U is coming out next spring/summer".

Blunt! It's not, however, confirmation of a release date, as he's a third-party representative speaking at a busy, hectic trade show.

But as a general idea from a guy who knows more about it than you do, it's one to file away for the future!

http://kotaku.com/5811268/sega-says-wii-u-out-springsummer-2012

A 6% drop, yeah. Seems significant. When the Wii was demoed at E3 2005, it only dropped 3%, and 4% at last years E3 when the 3DS was shown off.
Ok, now it's ok to start worrying. It's been a week of almost steady drops, down over 10% from pre-E3 levels, with no sign of turnaround. Previous years have seen turnarounds within a few days, this year it's all downward, and that's definitely not a good thing.

^ Until Nintendo announces that they'll still make money on the hardware instead of losing it for a few years while the manufacturing process can be streamlined.

I won't count Nintendo out. They play by their own rules, and so far they've managed to stay in business doing so. The Wii might have been "a fad," but it sure as hell sold well. Money doesn't care if it's being spent on something that is here to stay or something that is gone tomorrow.

I really do wish I had some extra money to buy Nintendo stock right now.

^ Until Nintendo announces that they'll still make money on the hardware instead of losing it for a few years while the manufacturing process can be streamlined.

I won't count Nintendo out. They play by their own rules, and so far they've managed to stay in business doing so. The Wii might have been "a fad," but it sure as hell sold well. Money doesn't care if it's being spent on something that is here to stay or something that is gone tomorrow.

I really do wish I had some extra money to buy Nintendo stock right now.

I don't disagree that Nintendo will try to make a profit on Wii U from the start, but I shudder to think of what it'll have to cost. I don't think it's going to be $250 or $300, I think we're going to be looking at $400+. Those controllers don't look very cheap at all, as far as controllers go.

Nintendo's strategy to sell consoles that are cheaper than the competition has been very smart for them, because once they have a decent install base they're all but guaranteed to sell their first party titles in droves. It also reduces the costs needed to develop those first party games. You could say that their hardware business has been more of a vehicle for their software business than anything else, something that can't be said for any of the other console companies. If they flip this around and start selling the most expensive console they're going to have a much harder time convincing people to buy it. Kind of like they are with 3DS.

This controller just doesn't strike me as a good cost/value compromise. But maybe I'm wrong and they can sell them for $50.

But Nintendo is like Apple to me. I swear, the more stupid their ideas sound the better it sells. And the 3DS, the one product that looked really nice to me, is struggling (but to be fair I didn't anticipate a $250 price tag or terrible battery life)

^Virtual Boy. Wii. Stupid ideas? Only the first one. Which one sold? Only the good one.

Back