Nintendo Wii U

I liked Super Mario 3D World a lot, but Super Mario Bros U, was more or less - "same old same old", and even the new features on SMW3D did loose their charme rather quickly.
I prefer the side scroller Super Mario Bros games, and was looking at picking up NSMBU and NSLU.  I get that you aren't too fond of these, but how would you compare Super Mario 3D World to these beyond the 2D/3D?  

I also prefer the top-down Zelda games, and will be playing the most recent one eventually.  I never really got into the 3D games like I did with the older ones, helping Link and Mario with their adventures all through the night on weekends (but my weekends aren't as free as they once were either).  I guess I am one of the people Nintendo is targeting with these old style games. 

Gimme some more Metroid!

I liked Super Mario 3D World a lot, but Super Mario Bros U, was more or less - "same old same old", and even the new features on SMW3D did loose their charme rather quickly.
 I prefer the side scroller Super Mario Bros games, and was looking at picking up NSMBU and NSLU.  I get that you aren't too fond of these, but how would you compare Super Mario 3D World to these beyond the 2D/3D?  

I also prefer the top-down Zelda games, and will be playing the most recent one eventually.  I never really got into the 3D games like I did with the older ones, helping Link and Mario with their adventures all through the night on weekends (but my weekends aren't as free as they once were either).  I guess I am one of the people Nintendo is targeting with these old style games.
Generally speaking we are on the same track:

I basically stopped playing Mario/Zelda when they entered the "third dimension". I never got fond of Mario64 or the N64/GC Zelda titles, even Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii (which some deem as a fresh new start), it just wasn't my cup of tea. I bought Zelda The Wind waker HD, mostly for my son, but also because I wanted to try a newer Zelda title again, but like it was with Twilight princess on the Wii, its more or less a nice game (but the sailing part is just super annoying), but it does not give me the orginial Zelda feeling I had with the original Zelda, or "A Link to the past" on SNES, or even the second, very different installment on the NES. The last "classic" Zelda game I played before entering the more "serious" PC gaming world was "Links Awakening" on the Gamboy, which was also nice, but also already did not breath exactly the same athmosphere as its predecessors. But I'm letting my mind wander: point is, I can't tell exactly why, but SM3DW seems to get the balance right, between bringing back the old atmhosphere and introducing new elements that keep things interesting (for a while). NSMB and NSMBU however, felt more like a rehersal then anything else, to me.

Metroid is a different story, as I was never much into it anyway: Only own(ed) "Metroid II" for the Gamboy and lost interest back then, when I got stuck somewhere in the middle, same with the SNES Version I (only rented once back then) bought a while ago for the virtual console, and I don't have any motivation to continue both of them.

Thanks, thatgui.  I will give SM3DW another look, and maybe pick it up.  If worst it will give me something to screw around with when bored with every other game I have.

Also, thanks for sharing your Game Boy love.  The Metroid series isn't really that amazing, but I got lucky and developed an interest as a kid.  I don't recall which I played first, 1 or 2, but I didn't play another until probably 2003 or so, which got me back into the series.  I am pretty fond of the Prime series, although it seems some purists don't like those much.  It would be great if they rereleased those as HD.  I bought the SNES when they were selling it for 30 cents on VC for Wii U, but haven't played it much.  Other M seems to have a cool story, but I haven't played it much either.

My kiddo is a massive Zelda junkie, and I was lucky enough to be listened to when suggesting playing some of them on the original hardware.  Link's Awakening was my shit for many years, and I still play it from time to time.  I keep a copy of the black and white version around that allows me to do the warp trick for all sort's of mischief (also the rom image on my flash cart).  As I said, I haven't had a chance to actually play A Link Between Worlds, but if you liked A Link to the Past you might like it since it is set in the same world.

Since I am a cheap bastard, and usually kinda broke, I was never able to get into PC gaming much since my computers (nearly always laptops) were not usually top of the line.  This, and my continuing to play my old favorites on consoles after they were no longer the latest is probably how I got into "retrogaming".  For me it was just playing what I liked, or what my hardware could handle.  If the Pyra fixes the problems I have with the Pandora it will replace laptops and mobile phones for me, and I will then be able to invest in a decent desktop system that I can keep fairly up to date.  Hopefully by then Linux gaming will have become more mainstream since it has been years since I swore off using windows.

To keep this on topic, blah blah Wii U blah. ;)

I would highly recommend Monster Hunter to anyone who has a Wii-U.

The only games which take any advantage of the touch screen and are still amazing games are Rayman Legends/Origins and Zombie-U.

I'm fairly excited with the Wii-U, I'm able to play a fairly large collection of retro games and Nintendo has been doing pretty good with re-mixing their old games (NES remix 1 & 2) as well as making HD versions of Wii games (the new zelda).

I've always been a fan of gameplay over graphics, and right now Nintendo is the only company still pushing the controlers and ways to interact with a game while keeping couch play/co-op in the mix.

The Wii-U is going to be replacing my homebrewed Wii pretty quickly for my party in a box console which I take out for retro game night with my friends or whenever I have some free time.

tl;dr

try Zombie-U, Monster Hunter U, Rayman Origins/Legends

I considered Monster Hunter U as my freebie d/l with my Mario Kart order, but think I'll end up going with the Zelda game.

Monster Hunter does look decent though, I had the little demo of it downloaded and thought it was alright from what I see of it.

I like the Wii U too, I've still a few games I have to buy on it, and also want to get those NES remix games from the store

but if you liked A Link to the Past you might like it since it is set in the same world.
No 3DS here

The only games which take any advantage of the touch screen and are still amazing games are Rayman Legends/Origins and Zombie-U.
I would add, Lego City Undercover, but can't vouch for Zombie-U (never played it), Rayman Legends however is definately a "must play" title.

I considered Monster Hunter U as my freebie d/l with my Mario Kart order, but think I'll end up going with the Zelda game.

Monster Hunter does look decent though, I had the little demo of it downloaded and thought it was alright from what I see of it.

I like the Wii U too, I've still a few games I have to buy on it, and also want to get those NES remix games from the store
Too bad the range of bonus games is rather "weak": I already got the titles that are interesting to me. I wonder if it would be possible to sell the keycode, or if its bound to the account - anybody know anything about it ?

I like ZombiU, so I say go for it.  Arkham City is one of the games I want, and that also seems like a decent price.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Wii U games?
If you haven't played it yet, Batman Arkham City was a great game and the only game I actually finished that I own for the Wii U. Nes Remix is a lot of fun but it only lasts for a while until it gets kind of boring. Nintendo Land is a great game to test out what the Wii can do and a great way to have a fun time with friends and family. If you like oldschool games, the Ducktails remade version is a great game to have. hmmm...I think that is all I can recommend. New Super Mario Bros. Wii U is almost the EXACT same thing as New Super Mario Wii. The Luigi levels are great but very short, but still very fun. Me and a friend I used to date would play it for a little every night and it was fun. Well I hope this helped. If you would like me to give you some details on some other games just let me know. I have a bad habit of buying games and never playing them. I just buy them just to own them, so I have a large library of Wii U games.

Oh and I forget to say, Sonic Lost World is a very fun game to me. I hardly play it, but it is pretty cool. I wish they would get rid of the homing attack because the game doesn't need it but nonetheless a great game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on the Quickstart menu ?

Looks like a time saver to me, but I don't understand why standby services are needed to be active for this.

Bought Mario Kart 8 (first "joint" purchase with my son) its a fun little multiplayer game. But some more vehicle customizing would have been nice, especially customizing that does not only make an optical difference.

Took WiiU Party as the free title - as stupid as this sounds, but the Andre Aggasi promo video sold it to me. There are some nice little games in it, but all in all I would have regretted the purchase if I had spend money on it. Nice goodi: even though, you get it for free, Nintendo adds 250 premium points to your account.

Oh, and some advice for those who can't fully comprehend Nintendos explanation (like me): You only get the discount on Mario Kart SNES (VC), if you buy MK8 directly in the eShop.

I'm not sure about the quickstart menu as yet, not used it as such...

Enjoying Mario Kart 8 though got three stars on all cups in 50 and 100cc working on 150cc now...

(if you want to add me for online my id is pokeparadox)

Thoughts on the Quickstart menu ?

Looks like a time saver to me, but I don't understand why standby services are needed to be active for this.
Love it.
Took WiiU Party as the free title - as stupid as this sounds, but the Andre Aggasi promo video sold it to me. There are some nice little games in it, but all in all I would have regretted the purchase if I had spend money on it. Nice goodi: even though, you get it for free, Nintendo adds 250 premium points to your account.
I've employed Wii Party U at a couple of evenning get togethers and it works nice. It's not something you play all the time or seriously, but rather something inclusive to do while enjoying good company. The gamepad-only games are good for some situations as well.

I like the WiiU, and I'm really enjoying Mario Kart 8 (even though I don't like the new battle mode).  However, I spend a LOT more time on the 3DS.  The new 3DS Zelda is probably my all-time favorite Zelda now.  I've wanted another game like LttP on the SNES, and LBW totally surpassed my expectations.  I fully agree with Gamespot for giving it the 2013 game of the year award.

While I like the 3D games, I still prefer the old-school side-scrollers and top-down view Nintendo games.  I'm seriously considering the new Kirby and Yoshi on the 3DS.

Also, anyone have the NES Remix games on the WiiU?  As someone who likes the classic Nintendo games, is this something you would recommend?  And if so, which of the two would you recommend?

Back