Nintendo Wii U

I kinda think people are eager to say it's all doom and gloom, when the reality is that they probably spent a lot of money pushing everything for E3, running all these special promotions globally, stepping up their advertising, etc, etc. All stuff that might pay off if they can keep the momentum up.

Wii U sales have picked up, MK8 has sold and is selling very well. And anecdotally, my brother  and his friend bought a Wii U recently and are excited about Smash Bros and upcoming games so something is happening but perhaps ut's too early to decide what.

running all these special promotions
MK8 has sold and is selling very well
Wow.  I almost forgot about the "free game" promotion.  Part of the reason I am not playing MK8 is that it will be a birthday gift for someone, along with the extra game.  I need to get on that since it ends tomorrow.  Thanks. 

And anecdotally, my brother  and his friend bought a Wii U recently and are excited about Smash Bros and upcoming games so something is happening but perhaps ut's too early to decide what.
I was a little surprised that MK8 brought up sales as much as it seems to have done.  Super Smash Bros is something I thought had a lot of loyal fans, though.  I don't know if those numbers will e enough to get sales up, but we will see.  It looks to be timed well.

I might get weird looks for this, but I still think the WiiU will win this console gen as well. Two words. Amiibo Pokemon.

I might get weird looks for this, but I still think the WiiU will win this console gen as well. Two words. Amiibo Pokemon.
It's already won it for me.

I don't see a need to get a ps4 or xbox one although I probably will eventually when they are dirt cheap in a few years.  I have my pc which caters for the majority of my gaming needs.  Nintendo games are the only ones I get really excited about for console like Zelda, Super smash brothers, starfox and metroid.

Nintendo has also embraced the nostalgic 4 player days which my friends and I currently love sitting back and playing some mario kart together.  You just wouldn't do that with a ps4 or xbox one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call.  It wouldn't surprise me.  How is that franchise still going so strong?

It's already won it for me.

I don't see a need to get a ps4 or xbox one although I probably will eventually when they are dirt cheap in a few years.  I have my pc which caters for the majority of my gaming needs.  Nintendo games are the only ones I get really excited about for console like Zelda, Super smash brothers, starfox and metroid.

Nintendo has also embraced the nostalgic 4 player days which my friends and I currently love sitting back and playing some mario kart together.  You just wouldn't do that with a ps4 or xbox one.
I feel the same way.  Same for Wii.  I told myself I would eventually pick up a PS3.  That still hasn't happened, and now I say the same of PS4.  For the past 7 years or so, even for games that are available for PC and consoles, it is very rare for me to feel that there is a game I really want to play that doesn't eventually make it to a Nintendo console.  The bigger problem for me is the windows only games.

I need to look into some things like backward compatibility for PS4 to see if I should still eventually pick up a PS3.  I have 2 PS2s, so I could tape them together and have a PS4.

I'd aggree, but Dreamcast was a great console too...
It still is.  It is the only Sega console I still own, although that is probably more attributed to multiple moves.

I'd aggree, but Dreamcast was a great console too...
It still is.  It is the only Sega console I still own, although that is probably more attributed to multiple moves.
Well, I only wanted to point out, that going down with a good product is nothing unheard of.
Ah, true.  I have never looked into what was going on with Sega at the time.  I wonder how the money they make now compares to when they had their own consoles.

Well there was good and bad news in that Qtr financial result.  The good is that: Wii U sales had increased dramatically tied with  MK8 sales.  The bad news is that Wii U sales are still not great and more worryingly  - 3DS sales dropped drastically along with its software sales (of course an overall loss is not good either)

Nintendo have a lot of cash in the bank, so they are not going to go away anytime soon.  Be interesting what they launch next iteration though.  I seriously doubt that will be 8 years.  I doubt it would be more than 4-5 years from the Wii U launch date. That goes the same for the PS4 & X1

Well there was good and bad news in that Qtr financial result.  The good is that: Wii U sales had increased dramatically tied with  MK8 sales.  The bad news is that Wii U sales are still not good and more worryingly  - 3DS sales dropped drastically along with its software sales

Nintendo have a lot of cash in the bank, so they are not going to go away anytime soon.  Be interesting what they launch next iteration though.  I seriously doubt that will be 8 years.  I doubt it would be more than 4-5 years from the Wii U launch date. That goes the same for the PS4 & X1
They should really make a handheld with a much higher resolution....

Well there was good and bad news in that Qtr financial result.  The good is that: Wii U sales had increased dramatically tied with  MK8 sales.  The bad news is that Wii U sales are still not good and more worryingly  - 3DS sales dropped drastically along with its software sales

The 3DS game pool has been very dry for awhile now, and sales seem to reflect that fact. Besides Smash, there isn't much coming the later half of the year either. There hasn't been a price drop either and it may be time.

In regards to their next systems, I think it's public knowledge at this point, they will have a handheld and console all in one style hybrid. Where games can be played across either or. Hopefully they allow the handheld to work like the tablet of the WiiU, so the console can have better specs and be cheaper with a standard controller included. Then if you own the 4DS, or whatever it's called, you can sinc it to the Wii3 and use it for addition features.

Chris

If you believe in M theory (a string theory), they can go all the way up to an 11DS

If you believe in M theory (a string theory), they can go all the way up to an 11DS
With string theory, sure, N can use M to string together 11 DSes like so

SB9dx65.jpg

Not sure I agree with Slashgear, but its an interesting read about Nintendo's current situation and what Slashgear think they need to start doing

It's interesting about the Wii U sales.  At the current rate , its about level pegging with the Xbox One.  Yet everyone sees it as a complete failure, strange.

http://www.slashgear.com/when-will-nintendo-listen-to-gamers-on-hardware-03339617/

Yeah, it's a weird place to be in, and an even worse place to be seen in(if that makes any sense). 

Technically, the WiiU had an entire year head start, so to be running neck and neck with the ONE, is kind of meh when it's all said and done. I actually think most true gamers(those of us who live and breath gaming), think the WiiU is doing OK. From a world marketplace perspective, it's performing rather poorly in it's intended demographics. 

"N" always says they aren't competing with Sony, Apple, or MS, but then when sales are down, they say they need to do better to compete in the current market. So which is it?

I think the WiiU will sale fine over it's life, but only N64/GC kinds of numbers. Now, this would have been great if they started off out of the gate making a profit on each unit sold, but they tried to do what Sony and MS have been doing by selling at a loss, and making it up over the life of the system. They both loose tons of money doing things this way, but "N" had to lower pricing early due to stalled sales, and this is hurting them bad long term.

I'm not personally all "doom & gloom" on the system it's self, but I am in regards to management and leadership over at "N". Even if they happen to sale at N64 numbers, this still won't make them much money, and with their current mindset, I would expect a similar situation when they release a WiiU follow up.

I'm not one of these guys who thinks they need to start making smart phone games, but I do think they need to expand their operations and expand their vision of what their great IP's could mean in other arenas. Iwata keeps talking about QOL, but I don't have any idea where he are "N" plans to go with this, but I would rather smart phone games than this.

"N" current situation with the WiiU is the wake up call they actually needed a generation ago, so time will tell how they respond, but so far I'm not to hopeful for their future.

Chris

Back