Nintendo Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
shinneri posted on Apr 28 2006 at 02:53 AM said:
Angel posted on Apr 27 2006 at 06:49 PM said:
that would be true had i not been talking about the name you dumb ass.
Well, your point would have been valid had I been talking exclusively about names.

Nintendo has always tried to be unique in the way they do things, and many great innovations have come out of it (along with one or two utter failures I'm sure you'll point out to me in your reply). The Wii is basically the grandest example of Nintendo's dedication to new ideas, so I think the unique name is fitting.

But they've never been unique about naming their product, that is until now. And its super off the wall. Why now, why all of a sudden? I do think the name was chosen just to cause an uproar about the stupid name. You can't tell me a group of educated, grown men, and possibley some woman all agreed in a room that Wii, is the best choice, especially the men, I bet they were even laughing at it and cracking jokes about the name themselves.

As for the them being unique, yes Nintendo has had some unique products, but they didn't have fancy off the wall names.

The power pad: was just that, no fancy name like, Ultra Roxor Game mat
The power glove: was just that, no fancy name like, Super Cybergenic Robot Glove
The virtual boy(which i love): had its name derived from the game boy and virtual reality. No fancy name.
Super Gameboy: had its name derived from Gameboy that can play in the SNES, nothing fancy
And more recently, Nintendo DS: which is a Nintendo system with duel screens, nothing fancy

So yes I agree with you Nintendo has had some unique products, but even their most off the wall products still had regular names.

Last edited by a moderator:
Angel posted on Apr 28 2006 at 05:41 AM said:
But they've never been unique about naming their product, that is until now. And its super off the wall. Why now, why all of a sudden? I do think the name was chosen just to cause an uproar about the stupid name.
Do you think we'll be talking about it as much if Nintendo came up with a rather cool sounding name? "Wow, can't believe how cool sounding that is!" "The greatest name ever!" It won't create any where near the buzz to cause thousands of people voting on the name on the first day on many gaming websites and temporarily brought down Gaming Age Forum server. I don't remember seeing this much of reaction to X360 when they announced the name. Peoples will talk about the name for weeks to come and hundreds of parodies and jokes will come out. It's back to "whassa!" compaign from Budweiser a few years back. The name will stick to your mind like super glue whether you love the name or not. What more reason do you need? :rolleyes:

"Wii" is meant to sound like "we".

Although "we" sounds like "wee", can you honestly say that even the most immature person giggles incside whenever they hear the word "we"?

please will mock maybe the first time they ehar it, if u mock after than, grow up.

1) It's phalli, not phallii. (Actually, is that meant to be a play on Wii? If it is, I'm terribly sorry.)
2) Sloganiser sigs suck.

nickspoon posted on Apr 28 2006 at 10:58 PM said:
1) It's phalli, not phallii.
2) Sloganiser sigs suck.
He actually insults sloganizer just as bad as you underneath it.

Also wii is a pretty badly chosen name, not like, err... neo-geo?

I don't remember ever saying "let's go play Nintendo" to any of my friends, or them saying it.. it was always the console name, however, I noticed on american TV shows they would just call it nintendo, but never heard that here in the UK, you can bet people will call it the Wii, "hey, wanna come to mine and play some wii? i got that new game X"

its a terrible name in terms of the jokes that people will make about it, definetly has to be some kind of publicity generator though, I don't think they will change it. Revolution was a better name I think..

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Apr 29 2006 at 11:24 AM said:
I know I used to call it 'nintendo'. So did all of my friends as well.

come on: NO one said lets go play some nes.

Ya I did the same.

I remember my grandparents used to call my gameboy that too. The Nintendo.

Maybe its an american thing.

Umm, if the console's called Wii, what is the controller called?

Wii Wand?

Great. Can't wait to be arrested for asking a kid if I can play with their Wii Wand.

Nah, the controller is called the Freehand. (The freehand you have while playing with your Wii... ¬_¬ It really does get better huh?)

And yes my and my friends used to mainly say, "Let's play some Nintendo" and I'm from the UK.

TBH, when i first heard it, i thought it was just japan-only, that is until i saw the revo site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back