No more Unity for Ubuntu

Callooh! Callay! O frabjous day!

Recent versions of gnome with default config are pretty bad, but much better than unity.
Now all we need is for MS to dump metro, and things will be goodish!

Wow, I just started using it in the last 2 months and I think it is ok, has it's quarks, but much better than I remember it. I think this is much better though, I think Canonical were the only ones using Unity so it won't advance as fast. Then again I haven't used Gnome since Linux Mint created Cinnamon so I don't know what the state of Gnome is. I will install it this weekend and give it a shot.

I wish I had a touch screen to try out with Unity but my notebook doesn't have one.

While the Pandora and xfce was my first experience with Linux, Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity was my first experience installing linux and using it on my own computer, so for me it's a bit sad seeing Unity go, but I don't use it at all anymore because of how slow and stale it is. Hope it still get's forked. What I am more interested in is if this means that Mir is dead. From what I heard it is now and that makes me happy.

While the Pandora and xfce was my first experience with Linux, Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity was my first experience installing linux and using it on my own computer, so for me it's a bit sad seeing Unity go, but I don't use it at all anymore because of how slow and stale it is. Hope it still get's forked. What I am more interested in is if this means that Mir is dead. From what I heard it is now and that makes me happy.

Backtrack 2 was my first now that I think about it.

I'll miss the global menu, but otherwise I prefer Gnome Shell when using a heavy DE anyways. I hope that Ubuntu can come up with some extensions for Gnome Shell that can add some of their better features, and ideally port Onboard to Wayland - the current Wayland Gnome onscreen keyboard is a joke.

I left Ubuntu when unity came out, only to move to Lubuntu. Now that I just recently replaced my window manager, they go back to gnome... btw, will xmonad work on my pyra when I get it?

http://xmonad.org/

I agree that the interfaces are too different to use the same interface. Take my window manager for example. Xmonad would be useless because you would need to use a hot key to bring up the keyboard to use the hot key...
On a desktop, I can switch to my terminal workspace and three terminals automatically load side by side. If I open a new windows, it automatically tiles. I can use my F keys to switch between windows (This does mean I loose the normal functionality of the F keys). I no longer need a rodent by my keyboard, except to browse the web.

Like I said, completely different interfaces. One only uses a finger, the other uses only a keyboard.

good news, https://ubuntugnome.org/ will be the main line,
*lol*

memory-comp.png

Thank fuck, back quite a few years ago I remember seeing youtube comments saying "just use linux :^)" so I gave it a try and downloaded ubuntu for one of my machines.
That was my first ever experience ever with a Linux distro and hated the layout (Unity) so much so it put me off Linux altogether.

Then like 2 years later I hear about the pyra which made me look deeper into linux distros. Realise nearly every linux distro is based off debian, so I get debian and the installer had a choice between desktop environments.
Looked up linux desktop environments on google and was amazed that you could simply have different ones unlike windows where you're stuck with explorer, which blew me away.
After it installed, find out there's an absolute crapton of customization you can do with any of these desktop environments compared to the customization on windows.
So I blame unity for putting me off trying the OS itself.

Reactions: ___
Before Unity - I was running Ubuntu Server headless on my home servers, Gnome Ubuntu desktops everywhere else.
During Unity - I flipped the servers to Debian - still headless. Debian on my main desktop workstation. Mint on the laptops (yes, I know Ubuntu under the skin). I'm toying with the idea of moving the laptops to Debian Stretch with Cinnamon DE.
After Unity - I see no compelling reason to go back to Ubuntu. I simply do not see them adding any actual value beyond what is already packaged in and available for Debian Stretch.

So - why does anyone use Ubuntu instead of Debian? Am I missing out on something by not using Ubuntu?

For me it was the support community - debian people are usually more technical, less patient. Quick to anger and instead of helping me solve a problem they would ask "What are you trying to do" and then when I told them they'd either tell me what I was trying to do was stupid and "why would you want to do it that way" and then they'd try to convince me to do it a different way.

Ubuntu forums had a higher level of noobery and so the people answering questions usually seemed more accommodating to idiocy like mine, which is nice. I like to be coddled and protected from the big scary grey-beards.

Thats a completely subjective conclusion, one that is the product of my experience; generally one of a higher level user, not a sysop or heavy lifter.

So - why does anyone use Ubuntu instead of Debian? Am I missing out on something by not using Ubuntu?

For me: because, in all the distros I've tried (Raspbian, Debian 8, CrunchBang, Manjaro, Chakra, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Peppermint, Fedora, Ubuntu), none has the stability and painlessness I associate with Ubuntu. It's the magic combo of few(est possible) driver issues, important goodies that some distros won't or can't ship, large install base leading to lots of documentation and support, corporate-friendliness leading to the greatest number of proprietary apps and games being distributed for it - all of that is greater, for me, than the sum of the parts. Ubuntu Just Works (TM) and on top of that, it provides excellent desktop options in Unity, Gnome Shell, and any number of lightweight DEs or WMs.

I don't like Unity. It's too much the Mac loo'n feel for me.
Plus it's special code in apps...

I prefer Mint, as it's Ubuntu without what I don't like in Ubuntu.

my first linux was Ubuntu but they go on Unity since that i always hate it. So now in my 3 computers i m on Manjaro ( Except when i ll ve THE PYRA )

The reason is very simple : support. On Ubuntu, you can easily a ppa to get access to the latest mesa binaries.
Can you expand on this? It is possible to set up Debian to work with many PPA sources. However, I grant that it may not be as easy - and some packages might not work if they're using/referencing an Ubuntu only binary.

Also, proprietary games only support Ubuntu.
Debian has had a Steam client in the repository since Jessie. Other than Steam games, what proprietary games/sources are you referencing?

And Debian is focused on stability, not on features/new improvements.
Debian Stable is about stability - Currently Jessie. Debian Testing is about general use and occasional bug hunting - Currently Stretch. Debian Unstable is a test bed for all new features - Always Sid. I understand that Ubuntu builds primarily from Debian Testing then adds Canonical's stuff on top of it. By the time Debian puts things in a Testing RC2, it's pretty darn good.

I'm glad Ubuntu gave up on Unity, it was a huge waste of time for everybody.
I have found it odd that Linux Mint, based on Ubuntu based on Debian developed the Cinnamon DE which swam it's way upstream and is now a selectable option on Debian Stretch installs whereas Unity never went upstream or downstream.

I've been using Debian Stretch with Cinnamon as a DE for several months now. It is actually a quite excellent experience. I actually installed -all- of the listed DEs on that machine since a few GB isn't really a big deal. I started with XFCE, but the menu options hadn't been updated to match Stretch very well yet, explored Cinnamon - and stuck there. I haven't even bothered to open a session Gnome or KDE on it yet.

Back