Nokia N900 Cpu Overclocked To 1Ghz

kingoddball said:
I have no clue what that is or does.
I know it seems obvious: changes voltage lower.. But what's the reason?
Can it be changed dynamically and whenever I feel the need like Titans Power K?
What Elanzer said.
It runs cooler and doesn't reduce the CPU's life expectancy.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=599371&postcount=1545
Mali: Seems odd - My n900 runs like a bolt of lightning at 1ghz, but at 1.1ghz it seems slightly slower?
But reliable at 1.1ghz still.
That's what others reported, too. It's best to stay @900 and use the undervolting kernel if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.

I have another question. Can this be installed and flashed ON the n900? I can't flash from my mac.
64bit snow leopard and my winXP VM is SP2.

^ Yep, it's possible to flash from the device directly. You should find answers on TMO how to do it.

kingoddball said:
I GOT MY N900!
Advice: File off the two little nubs on the micro-USB plug of your charger, so that the plug can be pushed/pulled into/out of the N900 with as little friction as possible. The microUSB connector on the N900 is soldered flat to the motherboard (design fault) and can be ripped out very easily, which will need a motherboard replacement.

Hi Tor,
That was the absolute FIRST thing I done. Before I even turned on the phone... But unfortunately I had to buy the phone used - I don't know how much damage was done (No wobble that I can see).
I did buy a new one, then I got screwed on eBay and when I got my refund I lost about $100 - Had to buy used :(

Well, I got my N900 yesterday did quite alot of playing around with it.

I have mine overclocked to 1ghz using Titan's "ideal" kernel voltage settings, and enabled it to clock down to 125mhz.

Although I guess it'd take some more time to get a 100% sure answer, it's been stable for about 3 hours of use and stress testing. Didn't bother going higher than 1ghz, it looks like voltage takes a big jump from 1ghz to 1.1ghz in all of titan's kernel profiles and I didn't want to take that much more of a jump on battery life hit.

Device doesn't seem to get hotter than room temperature, and everything performs so much better overall. I love this device.

Next month the Samsung S8500 Wave is coming out ... and it has some mighty hot specs. Samsung S5PC110 Cortex A8 1Ghz standard + SGX540.

Price ain't too bad too! Oh and ... 800 x 480 Super AMOLED screen, 720p video recording, Wireless N + Bluetooth 3.0 ... :p

n900 has maemo/maemo community. what does the sammy have?
Specs wont help when there is shit all opensource/hacking tools.

Elanzer: Where did you get the kernel from or is it the same as what i'm using?

I'm using: Enhanced kernel for power users (.25 from extra's-devel)

Is this how you're modding the speeds?

echo 250000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

echo 1000000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

I don't understand how to get the UV/ULV settings... I'm lost. I would also like to undervolt it.

Also - Did you get it from Application Manager

I followed the wiki, in particular where it mentions the part about simply creating a kernel.txt file and loading it to test settings:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking

There's a few preset kernel voltage configurations included with the enhanced kernel.

I must have a really good chip in my N900, I'm able to get 1150mhz stable with only 1.35v, as opposed to Titan's "ideal" kernel voltage of 1.5v. 1150mhz is the highest Titan's kernel can go, because he capped it at that. If the limitation wasn't put into place, I could probably hit 1.2, maybe even 1.3 stable.

I'm still testing it, but it seems like there's ALOT of headroom for undervolting. 1.35v is stock voltage for 600mhz, and I'm hitting the max of this kernel at 1150mhz on it, although all I'm really doing to stress test it is let the "bounce" tech demo play and run a few flash videos at the same time. I've managed to get it to crash/reboot a couple times by setting voltages way too low - just to see if they were even taking effect at all.

I might start researching or at least using copy and paste ;)

Mine overclocks to 1.2ghz at normal voltage - none of this fancy stuff.. I actually want to try 1.7ghz like in the picture going around!
I'll use it in a freezer for the 10-20 seconds to boot Conky and take a screendump for later!

I really wonder how high it can go...... (the chip in general - not just mine or yours)

Also - Have you or at least you SHOULD install Easy Debian. I was a little dubious but it's GREAT! Not even that I use it much. Just great to have a full blown Debian distro installed while using Maemo.

Yeah.. I'm not worried about something trivial like.... Frying the SoC ;)

That's a different issue. If it's an issue I CAUSED then it's fine, I'll deal with it.
But if it's a manufacturing issue like the jumping usb ports, I'll be upset.

I love the N900.
I'm having some massive trouble though!

In easy debian (well: Chroot cli).

I have installed some other window managers (XFCE, IceWM and others).
Users can get XFCE to work by simply: xfce-session --display=:1 (or xfce4-session --display=:1)

When I do it:

gtk warning: cannot open display: 1

desktop-base error everytime I install a WM.. I can't figure out the problem. I WANT THEM!!
Why? Caus' I can! :D

ARGH!

kingoddball said:
Mine overclocks to 1.2ghz at normal voltage - none of this fancy stuff.. I actually want to try 1.7ghz like in the picture going around!
I'll use it in a freezer for the 10-20 seconds to boot Conky and take a screendump for later!
Don't be silly. Be happy that you got a good SoC, others can't even reach 850Mhz without freezing. There are some obvious fake screenshots around and the noise on TMO is partially so high that it's not easy to filter out the junk.

It wasn't a shitty attitude or a shot at you.
N900 (this relates to Pandora, too) has a big strong community behind them and which bring out the best in the devices.
They are by no means to most powerful devices.

Samsungs are great phones - but never "take off" IMO for the above reason.

I would not buy some until I see some massive progression.
Sorry if you're a fan, I did not mean to offend.

kingoddball said:
It wasn't a shitty attitude or a shot at you.
N900 (this relates to Pandora, too) has a big strong community behind them and which bring out the best in the devices.
They are by no means to most powerful devices.

Samsungs are great phones - but never "take off" IMO for the above reason.

I would not buy some until I see some massive progression.
Sorry if you're a fan, I did not mean to offend.

I care not about anything like who makes it, and what sort of OS it comes with, or if it has an established community or not.

All I mentioned was specs, showing that things are already bumping up another level with a GREAT price to match. Meaning we'll be seeing more of this very soon from other companies. I'm sure it'll be easy enough to hack and stick Andorid on there anyway. With specs like that it's bound to happen. Or the Samsung Galaxy S which is basically the same device, but has Android on there instead.

And I'm not a fan, and wasn't offended.

After alot of playing around with overclocking on the N900, it looks like I've more or less finalized these settings (has been stable under 5 hours or so under heavy use after it was all finished), I tested each frequency step by setting it as the maximum and then stressed the device to 100% cpu load for 5-10min, and then some load in bursts so it would step through various frequencies before reaching max to make sure all steppings played together nicely. Used the same procedure to overclock/undervolt my laptop with RMClock, and it has been rock solid for years.

I managed to hit 1.1ghz using LESS voltage than the N900's stock for 600mhz.

Stock Nokia kernel values:

Code:
VALUE  VOLTAGE   FREQUENCY
38     1.0750 V   250 MHz
48     1.2000 V   500 MHz
54     1.2750 V   550 MHz
60     1.3500 V   600 MHz

My tuned values:

Code:
VALUE  VOLTAGE   FREQUENCY
12     0.7500 V    125 MHz
20     0.8500 V    250 MHz
26     0.9250 V    500 MHz
29     0.9625 V    550 MHz
31     0.9875 V    600 MHz
35     1.0375 V    700 MHz
38     1.0750 V    750 MHz
41     1.1125 V    810 MHz
43     1.1375 V    850 MHz
46     1.1750 V    900 MHz
50     1.2225 V    950 MHz
53     1.2625 V    1000 MHz
58     1.3250 V    1100 MHz
62     1.3750 V    1150 MHz

Now this doesn't really mean too much for everybody else as some people are unable to hit even 900mhz, it seems I've gotten a really good chip.

This should be a preview of what some people will be able to achieve on their Pandoras. In this case overall battery life has actually improved by overclocking over the stock Nokia kernel - while idle in my pocket it clocks down to 125mhz @ 0.750v versus the kernel stock of 250mhz @ 1.075v. While under load it does use more power than the stock kernel, but it also gets the job done quicker so it wins on the race to idle. Heat increase from the overclock is nearly non-existent based off readings from the battery temperature sensor. The device gets hotter under stock clocks with the battery charging than it does with the battery not charging overclocked, which is still just slightly warm to the touch.

But as with the Pandora, the biggest battery drain on the N900 is the screen, then the wireless radios, and then the SoC in that order.

Back