Non Survey Tutorial Thread....

wardred

Website
thorslongboat.com
Rather than grave dig the survey post, I thought I'd simply make a new thread. I've made some small progress on the tutorials: Game Tutorials . Basically I've cleaned up the non-optimized integer scaling tutorial, breaking the optimized integer scaling tutorial into its own topic, and created the source for the other tutorials. I'll keep this one updated for those who are interested.

I've also posted a statement of intent on the tutorial home page. A book, if it's forthcoming, is YEARS down the road. It's not a pipe dream, more of a really long term goal.

I hope nobody minds creating a new thread for this, but I thought it would be better then grave digging the survey, and there didn't seem to be worlds of stuff going on lately.

Edit: let me know if this would be better in General discussion.

Edit2: Going to give: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Introduction_to_2D_Linux_Game_Programming a try, per dflemstr's suggestion. The code high-lighting's nice at least. :b

I really think the tutorials should be either in the Pandora Wiki or available as a Wikibook (on http://en.wikibooks.org/) so that more people can find them.

As it is now, you host them on a dedicated site and they might get lost after a while because noone remembers where they are because of that.

dflemstr said:
I really think the tutorials should be either in the Pandora Wiki or available as a Wikibook (on http://en.wikibooks.org/) so that more people can find them.

As it is now, you host them on a dedicated site and they might get lost after a while because noone remembers where they are because of that.

We'll see. I haven't messed much with wiki anything so it's something else to learn, and I'll have other things up at ffa-games. It Shouldn't hurt to have a wiki version of it. There's no content yet, I'm still learning to mess with the wiki, but a very basic Table of Contents: Table of Contents

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fine if you want to continue writing on your web page; I can copy everything into a WikiBook if you want. I fixed your table of contents page to follow the WikiBook guidelines; hope you don't mind.

Is there any way to include a style sheet for my book? The examples I'm using for my images are really just tables with background colors set, and this is working pretty well for me...with a linked style sheet. Having to set the individual properties of every cell would be a real...pain.

Edit: For that matter, I'm going to be doing a lot of copying and pasting of source files. Are there any tools for automating this? (I don't want the source file in source.zip, and the source at the end of a given page to be out of sync. The actual text where I'm describing the code? Well, there's not much I can do about that...)

wardred said:
Is there any way to include a style sheet for my book? The examples I'm using for my images are really just tables with background colors set, and this is working pretty well for me...with a linked style sheet. Having to set the individual properties of every cell would be a real...pain.

Edit: For that matter, I'm going to be doing a lot of copying and pasting of source files. Are there any tools for automating this? (I don't want the source file in source.zip, and the source at the end of a given page to be out of sync. The actual text where I'm describing the code? Well, there's not much I can do about that...)
I think the preferred way of doing it is to make images and using those. Just screencap your site and crop out the relevant image.

It IS possible to use CSS however; look here for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Cascading_style_sheets

EDIT: It's not possible to inline content from another source in any WikiMedia wiki, because of security issues. You have to manually copy the code or write a script yourself that does it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back