Noob Problems - Help Please

centrlink

Website
Visit site
hello

done some searching and can't find answers - i've got two probs:

1. on boot up, and just before it gets to the desktop, i get a box saying something like "could not look up internet for simon..." and it indicates there may be problems - what does this mean? how can i stop it?

2. internet problems - connects to router no probs - but when i open browser ( and i've tried chromium too) it just times out. i've seen people having probs connecting, and dropping out, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for me - i just can't access the web. any thoughts?

thanks in advance, cheers, simon

You'll need to reflash (See section on Complete Firmware Image), the first-run script did not set your Pandora's hostname correctly which leads to all manner of problems.

I'm sure I've seen the first problem being mentioned before. Maybe your username contains special characters?
Regarding the second problem, I haven't seen something like that being mentioned in a while. Make sure you have the latest firmware/hotfix installed.

edit:
Mindlord might have hit a bit closer.

mindlord said:
You'll need to reflash (See section on Complete Firmware Image), the first-run script did not set your Pandora's hostname correctly which leads to all manner of problems.

Mindlord, isn't there any way short of reflashing that could re-trigger the initial setup routines? I know, if it had been me, I would have just booted with a flash upon which I'd used one of my other machines to put a rootfs image onto, a fresh one, and that'd have re-triggered initial setup for me. I just really hate it when something from the user side of things causes a reflash, it seems like major surgery for a tummyache. You know, the menu triggered with R should be able to get you to a single-user boot of the kernel, to fix any etc sort of problem. If it doesn't, it's certainly an idea for the next go-round, there are too many things in /etc that could go wrong, like password things. Stuff which folks memorized emergency procedures for. That was the reason I first learned how to use "ed", because, in early Unixes, vi wasn't available in the root partition.

Last edited by a moderator:
thx for the help gents, posting from my pandora now

reflashing did the trick, although i got that recurring date select error, which i got around by leaving the battery out for a while

cheers, simon

Gruso said:
Yep, had the same recurring date thing happen yesterday. Same solution. :) I think about 5 minutes with the battery out did it.

This seems like a really weird solution to me, what is the difference as far as the the Pandora is concerned with having the unit powered down for 5 mins and having the battery removed for 5 mins?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I think tsh might be on the right track in the other thread. It might have todo something with the RTC, which is powered by the battery.

Back