Noobie Question

fev

Still Fresh
Hi guys, I'm sorry if this has been asked somewhere else:

I'm looking at buying a gp2x and have been offered one which appears to have a software related fault. It worked fine until the firmware was upgraded and now it won't boot up. I was wondering how easy this would be to fix and would i be able to do it on a mac (usually most programs are written for a pc)?

Many thanks in advance,

Fev

Upgrading the firmware is OS-independent, you just have to put a couple files on the root directory of a SD card. Unfortunately, not booting could mean several things... how far into booting does it get? Does it hang with a random patterned sceen (bad) or does it show the GP2X logo (good)? Does it just blank out before it gets to the menu (very good)?

It is worth noting that even if it does hang with a random patterned screen it is recoverable, just quite a bit harder to do.

Mudi posted on Mar 21 2007 at 06:18 PM said:
It is worth noting that even if it does hang with a random patterned screen it is recoverable, just quite a bit harder to do.
Harder meaning you'll need to buy a breakout board from one of the distributors. It's a two minute job once you have the right setup :)

Last edited by a moderator:
from what i remember, it goes to a green and yellow checked(?) background with gp2x written on it.

fev posted on Mar 21 2007 at 11:57 AM said:
from what i remember, it goes to a green and yellow checked(?) background with gp2x written on it.
That means that the loader works. Now you need to put the firmware on the SD card and let it install.

Remember, freshly charged high-capacity NiMH batteries (2000mAh - 2500mAh), or a power adapter.

You need to find a guide, or maybe someone can chime in with the prcedure for upgrading the firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Load all of the files from Firmware 2.0.0 on the root of an empty (formatted) SD card. Put a pair of freshly charged batteries in the GP2X, or use a working power adapter. Hold down START+SELECT and start it up. It should reload the firmware and start working again.

After that you can upgrade to Firmware 2.1.1, which I highly recommend. But 2.0.0 has to be working first.

cheers guys, your ace.
Here's hoping i get it and it works!?!

could anyone tell me where to get the fw from?
cheers

Back