Now this is retro!: Tiny Atari 810 Disk Drive

second exodous

Advanced Member
I would have made this look like the C64 Floppy drive but this is just too cool. We need to make one that is USB for the Pandora, the only 'drive' to play retro games off of.

booting.JPG.scaled1000.jpg

A teeny Sinclair Microdrive in matching black!

See, this is the sort of thing we all need 3D Printers for. To make custom heads for USB extension cables.

It is an actual disk drive for an Atari 400 that uses a micro SD card instead of a floppy. It isn't USB but whatever connection the Atari 400 had. I think making SD card readers like this for computers would be pretty cool. Or a tiny Genesis/NES that the microSD goes were the cart would.

Ee! That is so cute!

Now I'm going to have to look for models of other such things and see if I can make something similar. :lol:

He used a 3D printing service for the case, totally doable. I tried to find if he put it up for anyone to buy but I can't find it. If a link is on his webpage I'm missing it:

http://rossum.posterous.com/a-little-atari-810-disk-drive (linked above but from some of the comments it doesn't look like people are clicking it)

The service he used is called Shapeways and there is some pretty cool stuff you can get from there and can have them make just about anything original for you. It is pricey though. Have them make the case and then make a mold of the printout, I've seen people do it on other things made from this site, and sell them cheap.

Some one please make an 8 or 16 bit console USB drive like this! I'd buy one.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I couldn't find anything on the linked site either... Blah.

Also, I have no 3D modelling experience whatsoever, so I'm going to hit Thingiverse (a site where folks share models that are usually in formats compatible with Shapeways' service) to see what I can find. (You guys might have to send out a search party, though. :lol: That site is damn addictive.)

I'm working on something similar for the Oric Atmos ..

If I had a 3D printer I'd make mini classic consoles for USB extension heads, and matching cartridge housings for nano flash drives. Just because.

Why stop there. How about doing the same for an 8-track player and carts (mp3s, natch) or a little VCR for watching mini VHS housed flash drives too.

Dammit, you could make an entire doll's house stuffed with 'working' entertainment appliances.

I really need a lottery win.

Dammit, you could make an entire doll's house stuffed with 'working' entertainment appliances.
We've all seen dollhouses with working electricity and such, right? I'd bet that there actually is a market for working appliances, among miniatures enthusiasts.

(Slightly wandering away from the topic a bit; Depending on the scale, I bet that one of those miniature arcade cabinets using a Dingoo A320 for the guts would fit right in, too. :p )

Things like this really, really tempt me to buy a 3D printer.

STOP TEMPTING ME! :p

^ Just look at the prices. Those'll stop you real quick.

At least, they did with me. :lol:

Maybe you can make up the cost selling working dollhouse miniatures? :lol:

We've all seen dollhouses with working electricity and such, right? I'd bet that there actually is a market for working appliances, among miniatures enthusiasts.

Just build the house around one of those $25 David Braben USB stick computers being talked about in another thread. It's do-able! Just need some dolls to inhabit the place with webcams for eyes and the 21st century dollhouse has arrived.

Depending on the scale, I bet that one of those miniature arcade cabinets using a Dingoo A320 for the guts would fit right in, too. :p )

Yes, for those for whom a dollhouse (no matter how gadget packed) would prove too gender challenging, a mini arcade or diorama recreation of an 80s living room that is also a USB hub to sit atop your PC case would be great use of one's wallet breaking 3D printer.

I do recall a guy who was making functional tiny arcade cabs from the innards of mobile phones, but you'd need really small fingers, or - ideally - some game trained gerbils.

Back