Ntfs Partition Mounted As Vfat

alerino

unmounting (sudo umount /media/sda) and using ntfs-3g (sudo ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/hdd) instead works, but it's annoying to do it every time

thanks

What happens when you use the mount command naked, ie: "sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd"? Does it still mount as vfat? I'm doing a bit of a blind shot, but maybe the partition is not tagged right, that is, it is tagged as a fat partition when instead it of an hpfs (or ntfs, I'm not sure).

Dmesg might tell you more when you mount.
If that is the case, you could retag it as hpfs or ntfs with fdisk, or just copy everything elsewhere, reformat and try again. I've mounted used usb NTFS hdd with no problems (with automount included).

Alerino said:
how do i retag as ntfs? it was formatted with gparted, maybe i'll try to format under Windows
Check (chkdsk) the partition on windows. Something allowed the FAT driver to accept it initially, it shouldnt. Maybe its a FAT fs overwritten with an NTFS (without clearing some important byte :p ). Linux (usually) doesnt look at the partition type numbers (Windows does) when trying to mount a partition, so changing it wont change this.

EDIT: If that fails, backup data and format. I'd prefer not a quick format to make sure it erased the remains of a FAT fs (if this is the case...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Alerino said:
how do i retag as ntfs?
I'm not sure to have anderstand the rest but for that I can answer :)

Before, please check the current type : (should be Id=7)
fdisk -l /dev/sda

And to edit :
Code:
fdisk /dev/sda
p
t
w
yes
q
(as in "print" "type" "1st partition" "type 7 (ntfs)" "write" "allow write" "quit")
:)

sebt3 said:
Code:
fdisk /dev/sda
p
t
w
yes
q
(as in "print" "type" "1st partition" "type 7 (ntfs)" "write" "allow write" "quit")
:)
Except that if you have only 1 partition it will say "Selected partition 1" when you say "t" and ask for the type without asking for the partition. Just FYI.
EDIT: Trimmed quote.

Back