Nub problems

IronDawn

Still Fresh
Seems that my left nub is mechanically broken. It was acting up shortly after I'd had my unit RMA'd to fix the PTOD, so I tried pressing down on the case around the nub as suggested in another thread. This worked for a second, but then the nub started drifting around like crazy, refused to calibrate, and sometimes wouldn't physically center itself. If I rotate the nub I can usually get it to recenter, but it still drifts around to the point of uselessness. I switched it to mouse button mode, and it kind of works, but that's not exactly a fix. I'm not too eager to spend another month waiting for a repair. Is it possible for me to fix this myself, and if so how would I go about doing it?

How old is this unit, if you don't mind my asking?

The symptoms you describe sound like lethal-nub-death, which affected the older nubs, and cannot be fixed short of having the nubs replaced (which isn't likely to be easy for the average user).

Last edited by a moderator:
try a reboot, w/o touching the nubs during reboot, only calibrate once youre booted into xfce. this doesnt work, remove batery for 5min, reinstert, once again w/o touching nubs and check back in with us

It's pretty old. I got it from a friend who'd had it a while, so I'd guess it's what you're talking about. If it's a matter of unsoldering the old nubs and putting the new ones on, that's something I can do. Is there any way for me to purchase new nubs? I really don't want to send this thing back to Germany again.

I honestly don't know the answer to that, so I'll have to defer to someone who does know, there.

Before anything else, try what DaMummy suggests, though, just in case. (Given the age, though, I am inclined to err on the side of it being lethal-nub-death.)

I gave it a try, didn't seem to improve anything. It feels physically off. If there's any chance of me getting replacement nubs, that's probably what I'm going to do. Any information would be appreciated.

I have worser problem,when i connected the pandora to tv and played vekhtar,both nub sticks were not working,they are completely dead.

How can i get them to work.

IronDawn, very few community members have disassembled the nubs or tried to swap them and only ED has the correct tools and training for doing this among the OPT staff who deal with RMA's. Previously all nub replacements were done back in Texas with CC until ED was shown how and tooled up correctly.

Here is a link to someone who has and their pics plus explanation of what they used but really you will likely be better off returning it to ED to fix it. I dont think they officially sell the nubs as spares even, although they might do so if you are sure you can make this repair

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54073-the-one-nub-club/page__view__findpost__p__874378

http://picasaweb.google.com/claude.schwarz/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCN7KsICXu-KTzwE&feat=directlink

good luck.

@ sukhiextreme, this sounds more like the nubs have set themselves to joystick mode (happens with Mupen64 sometimes) on exiting and will appear to be dead. Have you tried resetting them, or rebooting, or leaving the battery out for awhile? They should be your first troubleshooting steps. You may want your own thread aswell instead of in here, so it gets seen more etc

Back