Number of Linux users is still growing

Klumpen

Run away! Run away!
Linux Web Usage Almost Doubled, Now At ~2%?

Published on 20 February 2014 10:55 AM EST

A new report out from a major Internet advertising firm has shown the number of Linux devices almost doubling in the last quarter of 2013 and putting the Linux usage on the web at just under 2%.

Chitika, a former advertiser on Phoronix, has issued a new report about Chrome OS and Linux web usage growth from September 2013 through January 2014. Chitika found that the number of Chrome OS devices rose from 0.1 to 0.2% of all accounted web traffic by the network. Meanwhile, for Linux devices in general, they found Linux rose from 1.1% last September to now at 1.9% when ending their numbers at the end of January. The Linux growth really took off in October has continued since.

This is just the data from one (large) advertising firm but is interesting nevertheless. Most Linux usage numbers we see in the consumer space also reflect Linux having a 1~2% market-share among laptops and PCs. Valve's Steam Linux usage also hovers at just over 1%. Of course, Canonical claims to be shipping on ~5% of PCs globally. The new report in full can be viewed at Chitika.com. While Google has ramped up marketing around Chrome OS, it's interesting to see the Linux share rise so quickly. Do you think it's due to Ubuntu's presence? More games coming to Linux via all of Valve's initiatives? Let us know in the forums what you think accounts for the Linux rise in Internet usage over the past five months.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTYxMDM

Please post more articles and statistics like that if you got some.

Last edited by a moderator:
film at 11!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6P0GueyVA

Popcorn-and-Cola-popcorn-23343587-305-393.jpg

That's the best photographed I think I've ever seen esr. +1

Edit: Turns out it was just accidental good focussing. Never mind, still +1.

I remember back in 2007ish? Back when wi-fi drivers for ubuntu where iffy at best at times .I cobbled together a 1998 ibm laptop with a whooping 800mhz pentium 3 and then installed Ubuntu 7 point something.   I used the wifi card from a broken laptop and replaced the ethernet card with it. (fit in the same slot. Crammed the antenae into it.. I still have that laptop :D  It had a cool feature of having a light that lit up the keyboard in the dark. :blink:  )  I became a fan of linux soon converting a few others onto it latter on. It was my go to os, when ever windows clonks out I find a distro of linux and slap it on. I enjoy messing around with the little known distros.  :wub:   While everybody was having issues with Vista and stuff I was having fun with freeware stuff, the first game i played on my system was singularity.. When I found that on the pandora PND it brought back some memories   :)    I'm glad this os entered my life. otherwise I wouldn't be here with a pandora beside me, (Typed on a linux laptop :p  )

I cobbled together a 1998 ibm laptop with a whooping 800mhz pentium 3 and then installed Ubuntu 7 point something.
Impressive, you must have had some really strong connections with Intel to get a 2000 processor in a 1998 laptop ;)

I cobbled together a 1998 ibm laptop with a whooping 800mhz pentium 3 and then installed Ubuntu 7 point something.
Impressive, you must have had some really strong connections with Intel to get a 2000 processor in a 1998 laptop ;)
Very impressed... I thought I was all top shit paying $1300 for a new off the line pentium II 400Mhz processor back in 1998.. didn't know I could get a pentium III a few years ahead of schedule.

Linux still has a rather bad reputation as being hard to set up, hard to use, hard to ... do anything basically. And actually I can't really argue against that: unless you know a gazillion terminal-commands by heart, you'll have a hard time to set up anything or figure out what might be wrong. Ok, there is Google, and whatever problem you encounter, there was some other n00b asking the same question in a friendly Linux-forum (and the first answer will always be "use Google" ... I hate it when people do that).

But things have improved a lot over the last 5 years or so. By now installing Linux on a PC has become incredibly easy, even if you want to dual-boot with Windows (which I highly recommend, just to see how much better your computer runs with Linux :D ). Once you have set everything up, it is the most fantastic OS in the world. Also what makes it so difficult in the beginning soon becomes what makes it so great in the end: you have access to almost everything in the OS, by just typing a few lines in a terminal. A lot of people just give up before they reach that point, or they just use their PC to play the latest games anyway (that's the only part where Windows is still better ... probably there are ways to get any game to work under Linux using Wine, but if you want to spend hours playing and not hours to figure out how to do it that argument doesn't count ;) ).

If they would count all the android devices, Linux would have >=50% market share. ;)
Canonical with a 5% on all new laptops, that's hard to believe for me, at least in Europe, but I noticed, some which don't come with Windows, have Linpus Linux preinstalled (a commercial cheap chinese distribution where there is set up absolutely nothing).

However, if you ask me, it's a pity about operating systems these days, but I guess there are options for everyone.
Most M$ users boycott Windows 8 because the DE is completely messed up (for PCs). That leads them to Ubuntu. Former Ubuntu users, like me, are being put off by Unity/Gnome3 which leads them to another distribution, but sometimes it's not that out-of-the-box like on Ubuntu.
... Or last, but not least: some new computers are not completely supported by Linux, which forces the user to use Windows.

[...] or they just use their PC to play the latest games anyway (that's the only part where Windows is still better ... probably there are ways to get any game to work under Linux using Wine, but if you want to spend hours playing and not hours to figure out how to do it that argument doesn't count ;) ).
I have experienced, for serious working there is Windows and OSX. For gaming, also Windows. For networking/running servers, browsing the web - careless, of course - and several experiments there we have our Linux. All of these should be working well on default desktop use(, if you are used to them).

It was actually a Date inside of the IBM laptop OCT 1998 so either they were reusing the same Cases. Or that Less then 750Mhz pentium 3 processor with an ATI rage graphics card. I had a whopping 256mb of ram in that sucker. To get the wi-fi together I ahd to dissassemble the whole laptop.  It was interesting. 
dsc00003zb.jpg

My guess is the manufacturing processes far pre-dated the  release. Hey the thing even had a DVD drive! I could even watch movies on that sucker. Oddly enough it actually red DVD-DL  :blink:  I.. still don't get how that's possible.  :huh:   Granted these laptops came from my schools computer club.. Which were donated from the senate to our school... There was a PILE of laptop satchel cases in the corner of the room about four feet high.  <_<  while others were destroying laptops I was repairing them and slapping linux on them  :ph34r:

[...] or they just use their PC to play the latest games anyway (that's the only part where Windows is still better ... probably there are ways to get any game to work under Linux using Wine, but if you want to spend hours playing and not hours to figure out how to do it that argument doesn't count ;) ).
I have experienced, for serious working there is Windows and OSX. For gaming, also Windows. For networking/running servers, browsing the web - careless, of course - and several experiments there we have our Linux. All of these should be working well on default desktop use(, if you are used to them).
Windows for serious work? Maybe for some accounting spreadsheets or something like that, but for real work -- number crunching scientific models, rendering animation movies, stuff like that -- I don't think anyone would want to use Windows.

Most companies have Windows on their computers. Once I was in a factory where they even had Windows2000 on their barcode scanners.

However, all those graphic designers work with Photoshop instead of Gimp. On my university, we have the adobe suite for graphic stuff and animation and Avid ProTools and Media Composer for audio and video production. All these tools don't run on Linux. There are only builds for Windows and OSX. (And unfortunately, all computers there are MACs, because all those artists prefer Apple.)

Most companies have Windows on their computers. Once I was in a factory where they even had Windows2000 on their barcode scanners.

However, all those graphic designers work with Photoshop instead of Gimp. On my university, we have the adobe suite for graphic stuff and animation and Avid ProTools and Media Composer for audio and video production. All these tools don't run on Linux. There are only builds for Windows and OSX. (And unfortunately, all computers there are MACs, because all those artists prefer Apple.)
Ask Pixar what they use for their render farms. Once performance and scalability become important, nobody wants to use Windows or Mac.

<anecdote>The tills in my local supermarkets run Windows (can't remember what version), lets just say that it wasn't one of the wisest decisions that they've made. :D </anecdote>

CNCs (also in bigger instrument workshops/factories) run with Linux for many years, the server in my school ran with Linux in 2003 and ongoing, etc...

Tills in supermarkets here and all the ticket machines in our local metros run with Windows and they fail a lot...

Interesting! So I guess there is some hope for me. ^^

Ask Pixar what they use for their render farms. Once performance and scalability become important, nobody wants to use Windows or Mac.
I Always thought they use MACs, and just write their renderers under Linux.EDIT:

I forgot about their mainframe/cluster computer. So I guess they do their design under OSX and run something else (maybe Gentoo) on their rendering machine.

Correct me If i'm wrong.

lightworks pro 11.5 far exceeds in offerings what most video editors are capable of. With that on offer, anyone left do not represent a huge portion of the total desktop usershare.

Linux|gnu is capable and fitting for most anyone, very much at the peril of the marketshare of other systems that aren't so good.

Back