Pandora In Linux Format

WorldTripping

The August 2010 edition of Linux Format (LXF 134) has a review of the Pandora.
(Before anyone asks where I got a time machine, you get them early in the UK if you subscribe.)

Following a long gestation, the first actual Pandora open source game systems have shipped to customers. The devices were expected to be in users' hands by Christmas 2008, so the delay has been substantial. Early reports from the first 100 users suggest the units are fun and robust, but the developers are expecting an interesting few weeks on the project's support forums.

LXF 134. Page 10. Embedded Linux news Section.

Is that the full article? Or is there more? I'd be a little disturbed if they reviewed it, as they don't have one.

craigix said:
Is that the full article? Or is there more? I'd be a little disturbed if they reviewed it, as they don't have one.

unless they bought one of the units on fleabay

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:

That's the full article. (I even typed it all out.)

If you can give me a mail address I can copy the page and send it over to you.

I wonder if they will now be printing a retraction for that article about a year and a half ago where they claimed it had failed to set the world on fire, which they wrote before it had even launched at all? :lol: After all, the implication of that one seemed to be that it was available, or at least, that's how it struck me...

Coverage such as that and the "Green Park Holdings" Wiz review, amongst other things, put me off of buying Linux Format anymore. :p

As for their new article, it's a bit insubstantial, isn't it? One could surmise that for free by having a glance at the forums, couldn't they?

One pic.

(No scanner just a camera I'm afraid.)

LXF134_Pandora.jpg

craigix said:
I'd be a little disturbed if they reviewed it, as they don't have one.

Why are you so sure that they could not possibly have one? This disturbs me.

tolysz said:
craigix said:

Because we have not sent any units to linux format? Why does that disturb you?

tolysz said:
craigix said:

Either way it's not a review. It's a bit of news in a magazine with a readership of over 40,000 stating that units are shipping and that the "first 100 users suggest the units are fun and robust".

Prometheus said:
I wonder if they will now be printing a retraction for that article about a year and a half ago where they claimed it had failed to set the world on fire, which they wrote before it had even launched at all? :lol: After all, the implication of that one seemed to be that it was available, or at least, that's how it struck me...

Coverage such as that and the "Green Park Holdings" Wiz review, amongst other things, put me off of buying Linux Format anymore. :p

As for their new article, it's a bit insubstantial, isn't it? One could surmise that for free by having a glance at the forums, couldn't they?

This is proper journalism! Shut the hell up you pleb! ;)

I sense a disturbance in the orders.

It disturbs me only a little 'cos articles published in LF could be written by anyone. Meaning anyone who has a Pandora could write a review for it. And as YOU as the person behind this project being sure about being it impossible...

(Before it gets out of hands better I apologise and explain: I was just in the middle of doing my maths assignment: thus this disturbed me because of those implications I could see. But I guess non mathematician could say what you said, meaning only what you said. Better I cease taking your precious time :D)

craigix said:
tolysz said:
craigix said:

Because we have not sent any units to linux format? Why does that disturb you?
My first thought is that they might be the ones that ponied up that obscene amount of money for one of the ones on eBay. But if they've only written that up, I'm guessing that they don't have one.

I was under the impression that Future Publishing are cheapskates, too much so to buy a Pandora for those prices.

Journo culture = get stuff for free

tolysz said:
It disturbs me only a little 'cos articles published in LF could be written by anyone. Meaning anyone who has a Pandora could write a review for it.
With all due respect, whilst Linux Format claim this, they outright ignore you if you so much as send in corrections, never mind an entire article. :p

(I should know - they never even acknowledged, never mind printed, the corrections I felt compelled to send in regarding their outright incorrect piece on DSLinux and how to use it, a while ago. :p)

Prometheus said:
tolysz said:
It disturbs me only a little 'cos articles published in LF could be written by anyone. Meaning anyone who has a Pandora could write a review for it.
With all due respect, whilst Linux Format claim this, they outright ignore you if you so much as send in corrections, never mind an entire article. :p

(I should know - they never even acknowledged, never mind printed, the corrections I felt compelled to send in regarding their outright incorrect piece on DSLinux and how to use it, a while ago. :p )

You need to make with the free stuff.

If you paid for them to travel to your house, eat sandwiches and drink lemonade all afternoon, all the while listening to a presentation on the errors they have made... you would see results!

SomeGuy99 said:

LOL!

When I worked on projects with (removed company name to prevent legal action) they would have their press junket somewhere lovely and warm with free-flowing booze and lovely ladies so that journo's from the UK would get to fly out, get pissed, 'enjoy' some ladies and write a glowing review.

How do I know this approach worked? They tried having a launch at their development H.Q. with some cheese and biscuits and a warm plastic cup of shandy... you can imagine the review scores. ;)

CoLD SToRAGE said:
somewhere lovely and warm with free-flowing booze and lovely ladies so that journo's from the UK would get to fly out, get pissed, 'enjoy' some ladies and write a glowing review.
Like lobbyists and politicians.

Back