Pandora Review In Linux Format

Dave1234

There is a review of the Pandora in this month's Linux Format (issue 136) on page 28.

It seems like they like it. They give it 8 out of 10 and sum up the review with:

The ultimate open source gaming device, but only seriously dedicated geeks need apply.

Features 9/10
Performance 9/10
Ease of use 7/10
Value for money 7/10

"The ultimate open source gaming device, but only seriously dedicated geeks need apply"

I bought one of their magazines once, felt a little ripped off since everything Linux can be found on-line. Now-a-days I'd feel that I didn't need to kill trees to read what I could read on-line. I went to their home page expecting to at least be able to buy the PDF or a subscription to their PDFs but alas, they only deal in dead trees.

How can you give features and performance a 9 of 10 and then in turn the value for money only 7?

How do they rate the value for money of some overpriced phone? IPhone value for money 1/10?

kuru said:
How can you give features and performance a 9 of 10 and then in turn the value for money only 7?

How do they rate the value for money of some overpriced phone? IPhone value for money 1/10?
Well, the Lamborghini has great features and performance but is a little on the expensive side. Funny that you should mention an Apple product, their products have great features and performance but are freaking expensive.

Features and performance is in it's own category separate from price, no matter what the product you always have to gauge what it does to how much it costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
i bet if it had a 3MP camera, the value score would have be much higher..... <_<

Whilst I've traditionally been critical of Linux Format around here for a number of past articles and reviews that I found to be inaccurate, without seeing this review in full, I don't see how there's any way to complain about it.

We're only seeing the (very good!) end-of-review numbers and a one-line summing-up, here - we need to remember that, here, they're completely without context.

I wonder if it's worth asking them if they would mind providing the review for posting here in the community, since they've reviewed a very community-centric device? If anyone thinks this is a good idea, whilst I've never been able to get a response out of them in the past, I'll try to contact them. :p

EDIT: Scratch that. I think it'd be worth doing. Time to write to them. :p

EDIT 2: Alright, I've dropped them a line, and asked if they would mind providing a copy of the article for us, or if they would grant permission for someone to transcribe or scan the article. Please wait until they get back to me if you're planning on scanning it or typing it up. :p

Dave1234 said:
There is a review of the Pandora in this month's Linux Format (issue 136) on page 28.
I went to the book store last night to try and get a copy of this but they were already on to the August issue which is #134. Are you sure you didn't mean to say issue 133? http://linuxformat.co.uk/archives?issue=133

Actually, I'm not sure why I assumed it was the July one, but Sept. is issue 135 so no idea where 136 came from still.

MWeston said:
Dave1234 said:
I went to the book store last night to try and get a copy of this but they were already on to the August issue which is #134. Are you sure you didn't mean to say issue 133? http://linuxformat.co.uk/archives?issue=133

Actually, I'm not sure why I assumed it was the July one, but Sept. is issue 135 so no idea where 136 came from still.

Review also available at Tux Radar (from the same people at Linux Format): http://www.tuxradar.com/content/reviewed-pandora-console
Not sure if it's the same review, but doubt it'll be much different.

MWeston said:
Dave1234 said:

It's definitely issue 136, which is the October issue. It seems like there are a couple of things going on here:

1. I subscribe, so I get mine a few days before it is in the shops.
2. They always seem to be a month or two ahead of the calendar (like most magazines).

Of course, by the time it gets to Canada the date on the cover probably matches the calendar so I think that's where the misunderstanding comes from. :)

RobT said:
Review also available at Tux Radar (from the same people at Linux Format): http://www.tuxradar.com/content/reviewed-pandora-console
Not sure if it's the same review, but doubt it'll be much different.

It's a shortened version of the review in the magazine, but it gets the main points across.

That's an awful "review". They barely even skim the surface of the features, and it seems that they had no hands-on experience at all with the Pandora, nor do they offer any opinions.

EDIT: Ah, just saw that it's shortened. Still, pretty poor.

Even in shortened form, it's a massive improvement over the "Green Park Holdings" Wiz one, though. :)

Dave1234 said:
It's definitely issue 136, which is the October issue. It seems like there are a couple of things going on here:
Great, thanks! This means I haven't missed it yet. It will probably be another month before #136 gets to Canada but at least I can keep looking for it. :)

Back