Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

$350 - F.ck that - that's way over priced.   But totally predictable from Nvidia
Compared to the Pandora, it's actual pretty cheap. It has basicly everything the Pandora has, it's faster and bigger and only misses a Keyboard, which should not be that expencive to add.

^ no arguments there.

Actually it's funny you should say that about the keyboard, ive been thinking about how easy/hard it would be to add a keyboard to it - controls would need rearranging. Although I would never attempt it with a $350 device.

Would have been awesome if they had of built a keyboard into it, there seems to be enough room if you rearrange the controls in a similar way to the Pandora. Imagine Shield if it included a keyboard and dual booted with Linux - pure awesomeness

Last edited by a moderator:
^ with as much as I actually use the keyboard, iCP2 should be a nice fit with this with the clamshell/laptop design

Uggh.  If I see a video of anyone typing on any sort of bluetooth keyboard (including the "iCP2months") paired with this Nvidia Shield, then I'm just going to "LMAO".  Talk about a lot of useless stuff to lug around.  Does functionality and common sense mean anything anymore?  Holy crapweasels...

I certainly don't fancy fitting a shield and an iCP2 in my pocket.

$350 seems a little steep to me as well, but I can appreciate that this is a realistic price based on development costs etc. 

Can't see it setting the world on fire due to a lack of software that would play significantly better on the Shield compared to a phone + dedicated controller.

Will be interesting to see what the UK price is, my guess is it won't be £225 (which is $350 in sterling).

Wonder if NVidia will make it easy to dual boot to Linux, might lead to a few additional sales if they do.

I certainly don't fancy fitting a shield and an iCP2 in my pocket.
I think that if you wore those polka-dotted pants with the accompanying suspenders (and floppy shoes), you might be able to manage it.

Also, I fully understand now why they chose to call this thing the "shield".  Gladiators could use this thing for protection...

Wonder if NVidia will make it easy to dual boot to Linux, might lead to a few additional sales if they do.
I don't know if it will be able to be done "out of the box" but if the right community member gets their hands on it.

Also nvidia seems to be pretty friendly with the linux world for the tegra 2 & 3, you would think 4 would make it's way to that list at some point

https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra

Keyboarding shouldn't be an issue seeing as Android has perfectly usable software keyboards built-in.  Sure it'll be awkward using it on the screen, but that's still far better than lugging around a little bluetooth kb in my opinion.  I'm pretty excited about this thing, even at $350.   :)  Only thing that stinks is my GPU isn't new enough to do the streaming....

those 650's are cheap but I'd be taking a performance hit as it's not as good as the 280 I am currently using that I picked up for $120 about 3-4 years ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600030348%20600315498%20600364400&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20GTX%20650

the 680's (their numbering system sucks)  are too expensive to really make me want to upgrade, and it's not *that* much of an upgrade

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600030348%20600315498%20600311819&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20GTX%20680

EDIT: I didn't really compare the 660's or 670's, but the price is still setting me back and it's not going to be as good as the 680 which wasn't that impressive to me. The 690's are impressive, but freaking outrageous $800-$1000?!?!.

I think I'll pass on the pc streaming untill their prices come down, or the performance gets better.

those 650's are cheap but I'd be taking a performance hit as it's not as good as the 280 I am currently using that I picked up for $120 about 3-4 years ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600030348%20600315498%20600364400&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20GTX%20650

the 680's (their numbering system sucks)  are too expensive to really make me want to upgrade, and it's not *that* much of an upgrade

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600030348%20600315498%20600311819&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20GTX%20680

I think I'll pass on the pc streaming untill their prices come down, or the performance gets better.
Yeah.  I currently have a GTX 580, was thinking of upgrading to a 670.  Beats out the 580 by a healthy margin in most tests I've seen (not all though).

There is no need for keyboard on the shield because It have capacitive screen after all.

The price is pretty fair compared to the Pandora.

^ I would still argue that a touch screen is so substation to a mechanical keyboard. I also hate how on screen keyboards takes up too much of the screen and impedes getting things done.

* 5-10 Hours solid gaming battery life maybe longer , 24 hours HD video playback - No real firm spec on this - Seems to be a huge 38Whr battery. Photos and video show 3 x 3400mah (10200mah total) batteries in it.
I do not trust these numbers, but maybe it will just be extremely heavy.

^ I would still argue that a touch screen is so substation to a mechanical keyboard. I also hate how on screen keyboards takes up too much of the screen and impedes getting things done.
Agreed. But unfortunately this is the main reason Nvidia didn't put hardware keyboard on it. Also it will be pain in the ass to type on the screen with 2 hands with this design :(

* 5-10 Hours solid gaming battery life maybe longer , 24 hours HD video playback - No real firm spec on this - Seems to be a huge 38Whr battery. Photos and video show 3 x 3400mah (10200mah total) batteries in it.
I do not trust these numbers, but maybe it will just be extremely heavy.
afaik they have reduced the capacity to a total of 28.8 Wh but gave no hints on how would this affect the battery runtime in relation to their offical announcements in january.

^ They are still claiming the same battery life despite the smaller batteries.  The last interview I saw with Nvidia had them claiming 

-- minimum 5 hours gameplay for games fully utilizing the T4

--  minimum 10 hours gameplay for normal Android games

I guess that's not surprising given the battery is still more than twice the size of the Pandora's

I read somewhere (can't find the video/blog) but there has been some recent changes to the tegra 4 SoC after the scrutiny it was getting for it's power consumption. They were showing it using ~1 watt under load of 1080p video vs 1.2 watts on a cortex a9.

I'm not sure if it was connected at all to the revision, but someone had said it was some of the reason behind the 5 month delay.

Back