Odonata = Not So Great. So What Gp2x Only Games Are You Playing?

The machine being faulty is just your opinion, not fact. You keep spouting it in every thread as justification for your so called game being vapourware...

There are enough users with opinions like mine to ascertain the GP2X's design is faulty. This is not a matter of opinion. As far as the game I am working on being 'vaporware', I'd like to remind you that a game more complex than a pong clone takes time to develop, and acting as if you were entitled to immediate gratification the moment you want a product released isn't going to get you anywhere.

Epicenter posted on Oct 16 2006 at 08:57 AM said:
There are enough users with opinions like mine to ascertain the GP2X's design is faulty. This is not a matter of opinion.

HUH? Its an opinion so it isnt an opinion? Its still an opinion, there are more people here who are happy with their machines and feel they do what they were made to do. The joystick could be better sure, but it works. I can play any game fine not just battle squadron.

Epicenter posted on Oct 16 2006 at 08:57 AM said:
As far as the game I am working on being 'vaporware', I'd like to remind you that a game more complex than a pong clone takes time to develop, and acting as if you were entitled to immediate gratification the moment you want a product released isn't going to get you anywhere.

So you just keep hyping it with your signature that you are releasing a GP2X 1994 arcade quality game but contradict yourself in your posts saying you will not release it for GP2X... Oh please... shit or get off the pot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep reading about how impossible it is to use the second core and yet the latest version of PicoDrive does just that.. and with amazing results.

I'm curious as to why I've not heard one justification insofar as to why the GP2X "cannot be expected to be" a viable commercial platform

I can sum it up in one character for you:

$

Yes, I keep thinking to myself, "a 200 MHz ARM9? 64MB of RAM, most of it usable? 2 CPUs? How can this not be capable of more than I'm seeing?"
I hate to bring this up, but a great part of game design and development is knowing your platform's limits. What about the C64 with its ~1.0Mhz processor? Sure, it had additional hardware support, but even so, its power cannot be compared to a fraction of the GP2X's. Yet people made fantastic games for it.

once you count all the little extras you need which are crucial to its use but not mentioned at sale time, like rechareable batteries and a sizable SD card.
Using rechargeable AA's is common sense to anyone who used high-drain digital devices before, such as digital cameras. Who would want to waste hundreds of disposable AA's every year, even if they did last for hours? As for the SD, it says on the box it runs with SD cards, and similarly to cameras and mp3 players that use expansible memory, it is provided with a limited amount of on-board memory for you to use in case you do not have an SD card handy. Quit being so picky about these petty things. (I'm not talking about the underpower here)

- Alex

Sorry guys, I have been sick Thursday, Friday & Saturday and wasn't online Sunday.

EvilDragon posted on Oct 11 2006 at 07:30 PM said:
Guys, what did you expect?

Following the GP32 scene during the last years...

1. In summer, EVERY homebrew scene slows down. People seem to like lying around in the sun. Every half a year, somebody claimed the GP32 was dying...

2. The gp2x had a VERY quick start because porting Linux games is quite easy. However, it was clearly forseeable, that there will come a time, when most easy portable games will have been ported.

3. Each homebrew scene starts with tons of fast-to-code little games, like Tetris or some Puzzle games. Then it slows down - why making another clone of that? People start coding bigger projects, which take a lot more time.

So, I wouldn't worry about a dying scene here, to be honest.

Given Evil Dragon's empirical knowledge of the cycle, I certainly bow to that. Someone made the point that the GP32 wasn't much either, but did well. I hope the same comes of the GP2X.

ON THE CUSP
The GP2X is on the border of "hobbyist games" and "professional 3d applications" because that is the dividing line. As soon as you need a lead programmer who knows Calculus 3, you aren't a hobby-group anymore.

We aren't witnessing the death of the GP2X, I think we are witnessing that hard wall that is about to forever separate videogames from its hobby origins, from here on out they will simply be two entirely different genres, and really it has been since the 90's. As I wrote in some long ago post, the GP2X harkens back to the time when hobbyist programmers mattered.

To that I hold. Because people like Epicenter can't make a living here, so the GP2X's best chance is with the hobbyists who buy it. True, its a hack together job in a way. True, GPH can't seem to handle what they're saying versus what happens well. It's a company of engineers, please remember Peter Molyneux talking about Fable before it came out (promised a bit much because he's a game designer, not a marketing guy nor one good at being a CEO).

Now kids...
Now frankly, since the topic of personal jabs seems to be rife here, I'll note to Epi, as much as I like your frank posts and knowledge, lets not pretend you don't have an ego of your own. How often do you mention your GP2X's overclockability? Every third post? ;) (dramatizing) You probably need that ego to be successful but don't forget it's there. We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their actions, so cut folks a little slack. Be hard on hardware, not people. That never changes what they are doing and only makes folks not like you, so as Al Swearingen of Deadwood once said: "Good, Bullock, Good. By disseminating our feelings we maintain the strategic edge."

Replace Bullock with Epicenter ;)

Uhh, I won't bother chastising anyone else. I don't know how old ya'll are ;) Can't hold everyone to the same candle.

In Summary
Try to get along, realize what the GP2X is, as I had to re-rerealize ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is rapidly devolving into a seething mass of flaming and fanboyism. I and a couple other readily apparent persons in this thread are on such completely divergent wavelengths-- we aren't going to accomplish anything by arguing. I'm removing my signature as it's spawning far too many people bothering me about it, as though one should be expected to develop a commercial-quality game within 2 months, as if I were coding a Pong clone. I'm quite fed up of having my own hard work used as ammunition in arguments against me. If you want to play a game that was made in a month's time, there are plenty available. I have higher ambitions than that. I don't say this to raise myself over anyone (David, you've misunderstood me a bit there, but I do see what you are getting at).

There are some people too immersed in the "GP2X Experience" to realize viewpoints like mine, which due to my position, situation and mindset would likely be viewed by many on this forum as 'extreme'. For that reason we'll make any further announcements regarding Stargazer when we see fit, on the platform or platforms we see fit. If anyone desires more information prior to that time, they're more than welcome to contact me via this forum or my profile's listed contact information.

I'll call it quits on this topic of dicussion here-- although I'd like to say before I do, that I don't feel my views need be met with so militant a response in the future. This forum is nothing without more than one opinion.

Back